It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

cycling with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

cycling with your Husky - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Wow, six months?? Ok, I guess we're on track, then. She's walking well about half the time at three months of training. Lol, when I first was considering buying Sky I thought I'd have her trained to walk perfectly in a week, due to watching too many episodes of The Dog Whisperer. How ignorant I was!

That's great that you take Elara to shows. She's so beautiful. I love her eyes. Smile

Yikes! That sounds painful! I guess I'll stick to wearing pants, just to be safe. I'd love to get a dog scooter eventually! I'm going to start with the bike because it isn't such a big investment (at least assuming the Springer or Walky Dog will attach to my little bike).
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:17 pm

I do like the dog scooter, but I kind of wish I had gotten one with three wheels instead of two. It would be nice if it could stand up on its own.

cycling with your Husky - Page 4 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Female Join date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 1:46 pm

We just got Kira a couple of weeks ago and she just turned 2 in September. Previous owner never mentioned biking with her. I decided to try biking with her while loosely holding leash at handlebars. It was like she had been doing this forever and enjoyed even pulling me in a full gallup especially when my daughter got out in front on her bike. Kira has to be in the lead. I was careful not to let her ger overworked being the first time. I am now in the market for Walky Dog even though I won't let her pull me with that on bike.
Back to top Go down
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Female Join date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Got the walky dog for Christmas and it definately is safer than holding a leash while riding. it took Kira a little while to get used to the idea of walking/running along the side of bike because she loves to be out in front. we go on several rides a week and she always looks forward to it.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:15 pm

If the weather here ever makes up its mind maybe I can mount my Walky Dog. Wednesday it was 4F today it topped out at 49F. Haven't even opened the box.
Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I really, really need to get on the ball and do this...
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 3:01 pm

We finally tried out our Walky Dog yesterday. The setup on Aaron's bike isn't the greatest, but it remains to be seen how well it hooks up to my bike. We both have racing mountain bikes, his is a 29er and mine is a full suspension. Aaron seemed to think that Ghost might have been a bit close to the bike, and he said she kept trying to pull off to one side instead of going straight. They went about a mile, and Ghost was fairly well behaved at training class later on in the day Razz We'll keep working on it, and hopefully she'll take to it a bit better.

On a side note, she really doesn't like harnesses. I plan on getting a custom harness for her when she's fully grown, but for now we're using this: http://www.backcountryk9.com/312/0/Products.aspx

We've put it on her a couple times to get her used to it, and it's usually a struggle to get her into any harness (we use and Easy Walk normally), but yesterday she ran away and dove into her crate rather than put the harness on. Any thoughts on that?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

cycling with your Husky - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 3:12 pm

lol Kale freezes and puts his ears back when I put on his harness, but after he hears the snap he's fine Suspect Wierdo dog. To get him to the point where he wouldn't sulk away was lots of treats and praise when I snapped it together, which is why I guess he likes the snapping noise hahaha I don't know why he doesn't like putting it on... harness =run which it his favorite thing to do. Laughing the minds of our dogs are a scary place lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 3:30 pm

hypers987 wrote:
the minds of our dogs are a scary place lol

How true! Though, sometimes I wouldn't mind what's going through her little head. Lulu is easy... "gimmefoodgimmefoodgimmefood, don't touch me I'll pee, OH! BALL!! Foodfoodfood...". Ghost, I kind of wonder.

We wound up luring Ghost out of the crate with treats, and we always praise like crazy when we harness her. Oh well, repetition I guess. We plan on doing the Walky Dog 2-3 times a week for now, and building her up distance wise. Once I get the all clear from the surgeon I'm going to start rollerjoring as well. I haven't done that since I was about 15 Cool

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

cycling with your Husky - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Both Adobo & Biko act like I'm about to hit them with a big stick when ever I pull out the harnesses. Once its on then walang problema.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 4:34 pm

When I pull out their collar and/or harness, my 2 are excited and start singing....Ginger kinda does a little dance...

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Mya isn't a fan of putting the harness on either! Kody is sorta ok about it, but Mya runs away and/or hides under the table. I have to tell her "c'mon Mya you wanna go on the bike?" and she'll come out slowly but once it snaps it's all good from there!

As for Ghost being too close to the bike. I think Aaron is probably right. I think Mya and Kody are too close also. Especially when they go with Ivan. I need to order the longer cable from the dog out doors. Just a foot more and I think they'll be perfect. They're fine with it now, but it just seems like they could run more comfortably if they were a bit further away from the bike.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Jack no issue, sierra sh runs, ears go down/back back end sinks its funny cause she is fine once its one and happy as a clam when were out doing what ever.

Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Both Thor and Nero get soooo excited they start jumping Thor starts talking they nudge the door handle but they both know that they have to at ease before we but them on.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Question on cycling with your huskies....at what age did you start doing this with them?
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 6:49 pm

You shouldn't start till they are pretty much done growing, or close to it; it's hard on their growing joints. Most owners instinctively know when their pup is ready for the training. But "age wise" they say 10-11 months. I started with kale when he was 8 months. I can't bike Kale anymore because on his legs, hopefully someday I'll be able to again Sad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
P Biggins
Newborn
Newborn
P Biggins

Male Join date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 pm

I have a sprung bike attachment similar to a Springer. Wonderful piece of equipment. I take Heidi out with this and she will comfortably run 8 to 10 miles mostly along an old bridleway by the riverside. However, you need to be responsive to the dog's pace. If she wants to slow down, then slow down. Also, when you first start, don't expect too much as although the mind will be willing the body may not be so prepared. Once everyone is accustomed to it this is one of the best ways to exercise a Husky. Be very careful of pedestrians and children though. And also other dogs may be startled if you approach at speed.

As for age, I wouldn't start a dog with a bike attachment younger than about 10 months. Over exercise can lead to bone deformities and other health problems so patience is definitely advised. The wait is worth it!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 5:40 pm

we started at 10 months! :}
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Reviving an old, but great thread.

Update: Now that I'm no longer preggo and it's cool, Dakota and I have gotten back into biking and he's doing better at it than ever! I also have him running in his new Ruffwear harness instead of the H style that I used to ride with him in. I really like how this vid shows how much 'give' the Springer offers when the dog is pulling. You can really see how much it flexes with the pulling so that the rider can stay stable.

Pretty soon we'll be biking with the baby in tow once our bike trailer arrives this week! That should be in interesting setup!

And yes, that is Isa screaming in the background towards the end of the video...horror of horrors she was put down for a few minutes!

Last edited by Huskyluv on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Aw man! That looks like so much fun! Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Reviving this old thread because I am getting the Walky Dog in the mail today! I obviously won't be running Juneau for more than a few minutes after the sun goes down, but I just wanted to hook her up to see what she'd do. Then I patiently wait until Oct-Nov rolls around... She's one yr and 3 1/2 months.

I got her a custom X-Back harness from Alpine. I'm kinda wondering if I should have gotten the Urban Trail harness because it has the side D-ring. We'll see. I also bought a bungie cord with carabiners so she has an extra foot away from the bike.

hypers987 wrote:
lol Kale freezes and puts his ears back when I put on his harness, but after he hears the snap he's fine  Suspect  Wierdo dog. To get him to the point where he wouldn't sulk away was lots of treats and praise when I snapped it together, which is why I guess he likes the snapping noise hahaha  I don't know why he doesn't like putting it on... harness =run which it his favorite thing to do.  Laughing  the minds of our dogs are a scary place lol
Juneau does this too! I've never hit her or anything and she makes me feel like I'm going to strangle her or something!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Either of those harnesses will work fine. I used to use the x back with my Springer, now I prefer using the Ruffwear Omnijore harness to bikejore which is very similar in design to the x back.

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 4:23 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
Reviving this old thread because I am getting the Walky Dog in the mail today!  I obviously won't be running Juneau for more than a few minutes after the sun goes down, but I just wanted to hook her up to see what she'd do.  Then I patiently wait until Oct-Nov rolls around... She's one yr and 3 1/2 months.

I got her a custom X-Back harness from Alpine.  I'm kinda wondering if I should have gotten the Urban Trail harness because it has the side D-ring.  We'll see.  I also bought a bungie cord with carabiners so she has an extra foot away from the bike.  
I ordered my walky dog today! Was the Urban Trail harness with the side ring very expensive? All I have currently is a normal harness from petsmart and while I saw a post about someone else using one to bike their dog I was wondering if I shouldn't order something different before starting biking. I don't want anything though that if she gets startled and tries to bolt that she could easily slip (though I do plan to have a backup rope tied to her) and some of the x-back harnesses make me nervous as far as tangling in the bike and her slipping out.

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 4:39 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I ordered my walky dog today! Was the Urban Trail harness with the side ring very expensive? All I have currently is a normal harness from petsmart and while I saw a post about someone else using one to bike their dog I was wondering if I shouldn't order something different before starting biking. I don't want anything though that if she gets startled and tries to bolt that she could easily slip (though I do plan to have a backup rope tied to her) and some of the x-back harnesses make me nervous as far as tangling in the bike and her slipping out.
Sweet! It depends by 'expensive'. A custom Urban-Trail Harness runs you about ~$47 if you add reflective stitching and the extra D-Rings on the side specifically for biking.

I have the custom X-Back Harness (don't have pictures yet) and it cost me $35 out the door with shipping. They'll even stitch your pup's name on the harness or a phone number. Smile It also has a belly band so they can't back out (but you have to select for it). I would have a leash on hand attached to her regular collar just in case.

As far as quality, the X-Back is VERY well made and very sturdy. It will last all throughout Juneau's lifetime (albeit she doesn't chew on the damn thing lol).

Our local husky rescue runs with the x-back harnesses for their sled dog team. They pull an urban trail scooter. They use the Alpine harnesses and it holds up well.

Idk how young your pup is, but I would wait until he/she is about a year old before you measure him/her for the harness.

Here's a thread about the urban trail harness!
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t8978-review-alpine-outfitters-urban-trail-harness-custom

A video as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Thank you. I may get one of these. Kenzi is between 3 and 4 years so I think she's done growing, but if I don't get exercising her better she may grow wider. I want her to be comfortable and it seems the harness we have now no matter how tight we make it on her it just wants to twist down her shoulder. I think it bugs me more than it bugs her though.

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

cycling with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next