It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

cycling with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

cycling with your Husky - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:00 pm

I use the "on by" or "leave it" command if he starts showing signs that he's interested in something and wants to stop. I use the verbal command along with a gentle little tug on the spare lead I have attached to his harness to remind him that I'm in control. It works like a charm. Wink

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention, since we've been biking he doesn't have those crazy spurts of pent up energy in the yard and on walks the way he used to. I don't think we can go back to life without biking, he is sooooo much calmer now it's a night and day difference. Man I should have gotten a Springer 4 yrs ago!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:13 pm

It's been too hot for us to bike! Sad
Ginger and Storm were pretty good right from the start.

I swear G&S are hibernating these summer months to save ALL their energy for late Fall/Winter/early Spring!

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Woohoo Dakota!!! Nikolai seems to be getting lazier in the summer (probably the heat) so while last fall and during nice days in the winter, we were able to do about 5ish miles, he's back down to about 3 before he looks at me (or hubby) like, "Ok, I'm done, just gonna put the tail down and draaaaagggg until you unhook me." We took him to the park with us to watch fireworks and I got a kinda cute video, but then some random guy stepped in between and ruined the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:48 pm

I can't wait until the temp drops down here... I love biking with the dogs but the rollerblading is where we have the most fun! Unfortunately neither I or them can handle this weather! lol

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I can't wait until the temp drops down here... I love biking with the dogs but the rollerblading is where we have the most fun! Unfortunately neither I or them can handle this weather! lol

I'd be in full gear and pads if I ever took my 2 rollerblading! Razz

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:05 pm

cmanding wrote:
arooroomom wrote:

I'd be in full gear and pads if I ever took my 2 rollerblading! Razz

My thoughts exactly! LOL!!!!

Kristina, tell me that you don't go rollerblading with all 4 of them????? affraid
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:44 pm

Rollerblading with dogs is so much fun! I had a lab mix growing up who would go nuts when she saw the rollerblades come out and would pull me all over town. I plan on doing it with Ghost when she's old enough Cool
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 10:23 am

how in the world do you stop when need be??? Mine so wouldn't stop!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 11:02 am

I could go rollerblading with Ginger...maybe with Storm if I stuck close to grass...no way in Heck can I take both of them.

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 1:06 pm

i cycled today with Nikki for the first time. She IMMEDIATELY took to it. i'm so proud of her not being an ounce of scared of the bike. It was a tester to see if she'd do it so i think i'm going to invest in some kind of springer contraption. It is just an amazing feeling when you see how happy she is to get to run at almost full speed! was a fantastic time! Will definitely be doing it again on days that it is cooler out
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Yay! I'm glad she did well with it! I didn't get my boy into a full run next to the bike until last week and he did amazing! I think you'll do so much better with a bike attachment as it will be safer for you and probably give you more peace of mind as well as stability on the bike.

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 3:08 pm

yeah i'm definitely going to get one i'm just not sure which yet. probably the walkydog one. she tired out very fast. luckily it was only in the 70's earlier. i'm definitely going to have to work on her endurance
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 7:42 pm

I have the walky dog and it's awesome, but I would suggest ordering more of the rope when you get it. It's a bit short for Mya. I mean, she loves it and does great on it, but a foot or two more in length would be better. I'm going to order some extra rope right now actually!
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Well this thread has me convinced! I was trying to think of good ways to exercise my pup when he gets bigger, and I thought biking sounded like a fun way but with how much he loves to pull and chase leaves blowing in the wind (he finds those more fun than squirrels even) I was sure if I ever tried I'd end up with a broken something (leg, arm, neck, whatever) from him pulling me over. But these bike leash things look like they could really help, and everyone saying how their dogs took to it so quickly has had me convinced to at least give it a try. I am getting a WalkyDog for Christmas.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 3:28 pm

I love the walkydog. It's great! This is Mya on maybe her 4th or 5th ride back from the park:

I don't ride with them for more than 10min now because it's so hot. Even in the mornings it's still 75-80 degrees in Miami! Totally looking forward to the winter for once!
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:18 pm

I just bought a new harness to get ready for the fall and winter. I can't wait to bust out the walky dog again. Frankie has been wiped out after a 15-20 minute walk so I haven't used the bike this summer. At least when he runs around the park in the heat, he always finds a way to cool off (like the mudhole or something Rolling Eyes )
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:54 pm

I still have 9 months before I will be able to use it with Faolan Sad
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 2:49 am

I've been trying to get Sky to heel (nearly) perfectly before attempting jogging or bike riding. She has good days and bad days. Today she was making me crazy! Every cat in the neighborhood seemed to be out and she loves to sit and stare at them for minutes on end. I can't get her attention away for anything!

But anyway, it sounds like I'll have to wait a few more months, anyway. Did your dogs heel really well before you tried bike riding? I guess I'd better work on "Leave It" more, too.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 10:22 am

Personally I think walking well on a leash is the foundation to be able to many things. Frankie walks beautifully on a leash for our daily walks (it took us awhile to get there). We do structured walks and through months of practicing, he is very focused on walks. He looks as if he on on a mission to get to his spot where he is permitted to sniff around and go to the bathroom. It took awhile to be able to walk by critters, but if we keep walking he stays focused on the walk. If we stop walking, he fixates on whatever critter is nearby...cat, squirrel, bird, etc. but we are working on this.
We use the same for bike riding except we don't stop at his spot and he is fine with it because he is on the move and focused. I didn't trust biking with Frankie until I knew I could trust him on our walks. Of course he has his moments like any dog and he still needs reminders of his leash manners when he is somewhere new, so I wouldn't take him biking in an unfamiliar place just yet because he wouldn't focus.

I would try to use commands like "on by" and keep her walking when she sees a cat so she doesn't sit and fixate on them
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 12:57 pm

It sounds like I need to make some changes to my leash training. Our obedience trainer pretty much told us that walk time should be for exercise, so they should only go to the bathroom or sniff when you give them permission, and heel the rest of the time. I think your method of having sniffing areas for your dog to look forward to sounds like a good one. There's a particular bush on our walk that I can never get her to walk calmly past. (I think it's because a cat likes to hang out near it.) Do you stop in the same places every day? How does that work out when you are walking somewhere new and Frankie doesn't know where the stopping areas are?

I'll give it a try this week and see how it goes. Sometimes it just gets so frustrating and feels like we'll never get this down well enough to get to the jogging/biking stage. Hopefully Sky will teach me to have more patience, lol.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 1:27 pm

We do exactly what your trainer suggested. Our sniff/potty spot is the place where I give him permission. We have a few throughout the neighborhood depending on how far we walk. I pretty much keep it the same. but I try to give him new areas to explore now that he walks well as part of our training for new places.

So no, this really doesn't work well in new places outside of our neighborhood. Frankie needs to know his surroundings so in new places I let him explore first and once he has sniffed around we go into "walk" mode. This is a work in progress and I have a feeling it will be a work in progress for a long time Wink I'm just happy that we can have pleasant daily walks together and bike rides around the neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Sounds like a dream come true to me! Sky really has improved a lot since I first brought her home three months ago. I guess I had unrealistic expectations about how long it would take to get her walking politely all the time. The neighbors look at me like I'm crazy since I started using the Be A Tree method. XD But I just really don't feel like getting skinned up knees on a bike ride because she gets distracted by a cat or one of the several free range dogs in our neighborhood. 9_9

Thanks for the advice, Dee. Smile Talking about it helps me feel less frustrated.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Be patient, it will come. It took us about six months to start to get it right. Then we moved and it took another month or so to relearn it.

That's why this forum is so great....it always helps to talk about it. Especially since really "It's a Husky Thing"...others wouldn't really understand
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Haha...yeah, my girls still don't know how to walk nicely on a leash unless they are already tired out! But I don't do enough training. Bad me! Though Elara is actually good on a leash in the show ring, thank goodness!

I hooked up Siku to my bike. She did really good even when we saw some squirrles, but then we saw another dog. That ended up with the inside of my knee hitting my spinning tire which took off all the skin. I didn't fall, but it looked like I had road rash on the inside of my knee and took about 4 weeks to heal. You can see see where it happened. And trying to wash it out the first day stung sooooo bad!

But I have hooked up both my girls to my dog scooter and they did great. It's nice having something you can quickly jump off if need be. And they can pull you so fast! It's a little scary!

cycling with your Husky - Page 3 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

cycling with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next