It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

cycling with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

cycling with your Husky Empty
PostSubject: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 5:36 am

Hi , Everyone looking for sound advise on starting points with regards taking your Husky out with you cycling , I have seen all the attachments on sale for your bike , really interested in what sort of time / distance i should or not being doing with my 6 months old Female Husky .
The area i live in has a good choice of mixed surfaces wood areas , hard paths , tracks , grassed areas .
really interested in good starting point , she will run along side my bike , not sure how long time i should be do this form of exercise , i do not want to hurt her growing bones etc
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:38 pm

A puppy should really not be running with you until she is about a year old. Puppies should only exercise in free form (ie- running around a yard) and only on grass. Hard surfaces like pavement can stunt their growth and cause injury. Puppies bones and joints are still fragile and developing until about a year old.

Another thing: puppies don't have the cognitive development to stop when they are tired or they need to like an adult dog will. She will run and run and run to keep up with you. Exercising puppies should be as simple as a game of fetch, letting her run around the yard or playtime with other puppies.

However, once she is old enough, hook her up and go Smile Start off slowly and build her up. Keep an eye on her breathing and if she starts to slow, that means it's time to stop. She will build stamina just as a person would, so just observation and diligence on your part and you will both be fine Smile

cycling with your Husky Hailey10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:59 am

thank you for your comments
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:40 am

No problem Smile Sorry it took so long for me to respond :p Life has been busy!

Good luck! And welcome to the forum Smile Go post a Welcome Mat thread so we can get to know you and your girl Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:58 am

I run when Nero wants to run. Probably around 120-150m at around 14kph average. We have been building up speed & distance for a while now. We ran on the beach the other day for about 200m but thats cos he was uber excited. I can tell when he's tiring because he will slow to my side rather than running up ahead of me.

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:11 am

That's great as long as it's not on pavement Smile As said, running on pavement, concrete or other hard surfaces is harmful to a puppy's bones and joints.

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:52 pm

I would like to start doing this with Willow, when she turns 1, thanks for that tip Tori! I do not have any equipment yet...not even a bike. Any suggestions on the best type of bike and equipment I will need. Is this something I should try on my own or do I need a trainer to get us started? ANY an all tips are welcome!

For the record...I am not new to bicycling. I grew up on a bike. I just need to replace my last one. I was about to purchase one when I thought I better ask if there is a type of bike I should get if I want to attach Willow to it. I never tried this with Dakota in fear of him pulling me down. I know Willow could still do this to me, but she really needs more exercise than Dakota does.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 1:48 pm

I went to a fleamarket and got a $25 mountain bike, glad I did as it has be pulled over more times then I can remember while trying to fix lines and the dogs NOT staying! We have talked about 2 websites to buy from for harness and lines. And start the comands while walking befor getting on the bike. Sorry I'm on my phone or else I would give u the websites

Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:15 pm

SPRINGER!!! Buy a Springer. www.SpringerAmerica.com

I LOVE mine!! Shelby and I have been biking since she was 6 months old. Shiloh was 4 years old when we started.

The springer is alot easier then messing the lines and doing the full bikejoring, but that is alot of fun to with a well trained dog!!

If you are biking in town, and can't keep the on the grass, invest in some booties! Well worth it for saving your dogs feet! http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex

We just use Musher's secret becuase the majority of the time, they run on the lawn.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Thank you!!! I will be checking out those links you gave me. The video was great! It looks like alot of fun. I think Willow will love it.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:08 pm

That's the best looking biking system I've seen. I wish I knew about it several years ago.

I biked with my two previous huskies, and alternated between several attachments to the bike.
None worked well when "Mr. Squirrel" dashed across our path. This resulted in multiple pileups.
I finally settled on the "ten foot lead being held by two fingers on the handlebars" method, so I could let go instantly if a squirrel tried to taunt us. I lowered the seat on my mountain bike every time I went out so I could get my feet on the ground FAST !

Where I live now, it's way too hilly to bike, so we mostly run. I've found I don't need Mushers Wax or booties unless the pavement is really hot (This is probably a non issue for us, because Bodhi and I run early) or we are running on sharp rocks.

As a cyclist for many years, I would urge you to please always wear a helmet and shoes with closed toes when cycling. Equipment can fail; other dogs can run off a porch; a cell phone using driver can veer off course at you. It only takes a second. A fall at speed on a bike can cause serious injuries.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:49 pm

This is so cool! I'm definitely going to look into this for Kody and maybe Mya!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:51 pm

We have Walky Dog and Ginger loves it!
You can detach the rod from the seat and walk around with it as a leash. The leash attached to the rod is springy so if she pulls, there's some give and doesn't yank her. You can also adjust the length of the leash. JD just has it pretty long in this picture.

cycling with your Husky Walky_10

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Cool! I just looked up the Walky Dog and saw one of their videos. Seems pretty easy to do! Did Ginger take to it right away or did she freak?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Ginger took to it instantly.

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:51 pm

I love my Walky Dog. Frankie took to it instantly too. I was in complete shock how focused he stays.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Wow that's awesome you guys! I need to get me one of these asap! Well, a bike first..lol! I've been wanting a bike for a while now and this just gives me more reason to get it!!! I don't need anything fancy so it shouldn't be too pricey! I'll probably try to start Mya off first, now that I think about it. She's calmer on walks and might adapt better than Kody. Plus he's only 6months so I shouldn't use it with him just yet. He goes around the park once (it's about half a mile) and he's already asking me to go back home. Yet he runs like a crazy dog @ the dog park. Go figure! Poor baby is confused..lol
Back to top Go down
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

Female Join date : 2011-04-05

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 1:53 am

Wow that looks like so much fun!!! I'll have to pick one up!
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 am

I want a walky dog!! Those look so fun.

My only concern is... when Reiko sees a :

- Bird
- Cat
- Squirell
- Dog
- Blowing leaf etc

he "forgets" that I am attached and tried to go after them. I'm not really sure how to train him out of that. Do you think I should wait for him to stop that before I look into riding with him? Other than that he's great on the leash! Razz
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 am

I ride with Konrad occasionally, best bet to try and get by certain distracting things is teaching mushing commands. I found a website a while back with a list of the basics, and some ideas to teach them. Best command is "On By", works basically like a "Leave It", just have to use it before they get totally derailed (it's supposed to mean keep going without slowing down). We practiced on a leash a ton before I hooked him up to a bike, He actually took to "On By" quicker than most of the other ones, probably because he already had a solid "Leave it".

Seems that the website I had found before is being reconstructed and most of the content on it is down Neutral
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:57 am

Oh good idea! I'll try to find a site like it. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:10 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjmABFfG

Here's a video of mushing commands right around the 6 minute mark. It's for dog scootering, but the commands are the same.

You can start with the commands while you're out walking so they get used to the commands and respond by the time you get on a bike.

Ginger seems to be more focused when she's out scootering or biking and doesn't seem to be aware of squirrels as she is on walks. So they may be more focused when you're out biking.

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

The walky dog also has some shock absorption so if they tug it kind of pulls them back without tipping the bike. If I see something first, I usually speed up so he runs faster and misses it. I was really amazed about how focused he stayed on the run, I really expected more wipeouts,lol. We had one accident on the bike where we both wiped out, but that was because an unleashed dog came at us and Frankie freaked out of fear causing me to completely lose control. (that owner got a piece of my mind).

I like the idea of the mushing commands, I never thought of that. I think I'm going to start working on them.
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Nikolai and I use a Walky-Dog and we also know (and use!) our mushing cues every day on walks. He's a total rock star... we don't know "on by" but I just say "hup, hup, hup" if I see him starting to be interested in something and slowing. He's just so smart. Laughing
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 7:57 pm

I just bought a bike today! Now I gotta order the walkydog so I can get Willow out for runs. I can't wait to wear her out! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

cycling with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next