It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

cycling with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

cycling with your Husky - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 12:19 am

I got a Springer bike attachment today (birthday present, the newer black one). Out of the box it took only 30 minutes to install on my bike and we were ready to go. I did not use the included plastic attachments or string, instead I used a bungee cord with carabiners on both ends so that I do not have to worry about the detachable safety release.

cycling with your Husky - Page 2 IMAG0053

Took Dakota out with the Springer at a "light" pace for 1/3 mile after it was dark out (waited for the temp to drop some). I am thrilled that he did fantastic, took to it like he was a pro. He moved so well with the bike and did not lag at all nor did he do any pulling, just kept a nice steady pace moving in tandem with the bike. He did pull off to the side a couple times during my ride due to some distractions and I am so happy to report I felt absolutely NOTHING and the bike stayed perfectly stable. Dakota loved the pace and I really think he loves being able to "jog" alongside the bike now that I have a Springer. It was too dark to get any good pics this evening but hopefully I'll be able to get some shots in the morning. I am SUPER happy with my Springer bike attachment!

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 1:19 am

Looks awesome, Val! Can't wait for some pics! I wish Koda would keep up with the pace on a bike. Jarod tried biking with him several times the past 2 winters and he just was done after 2 minutes to where he'd have to walk the bike the rest of the way and Koda still gets distracted and wants to stop. Worst sled dog ever I tell you!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 10:05 am

Awesome Val!!! I'm glad that Dakota took to it well. Mya did it awesome from the first time too. Now Kody, is just like Koda! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Okay, I have some pics and a quick vid of the Springer in action. I love love love it and Dakota did just as fantastic this morning as he did last evening. Took these pics/vid after walking him this morning and then jogging him lightly in with the Springer so he was slowing down.

The set up...
cycling with your Husky - Page 2 IMG_1075

On the move!
cycling with your Husky - Page 2 IMG_1078

cycling with your Husky - Page 2 IMG_1079

cycling with your Husky - Page 2 IMG_1080

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 pm

I wish that I could attach Mya or Kody to the bike and step away to take a pic without them running off with the bike trailing behind them Shocked

Dakota has taken to it like a pro for real! He's such a smooth dude. Pimpin Dakota..LOL!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Val, that looks like fun. And it's a nice flat street with no traffic.
Dakota seems a little tentative now, but once he gets used to it, you will have a rocket next to you.

So, please, please think about a helmet. And gloves.
If you do this long enough, you will go down.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks for the advice Michael. Come cooler weather the gloves will be a must, more for warmth than safety sake but they can serve a dual purpose. I don't have a helmet right now but I do think I should invest in one soon just to be on the safe side...especially if he turns into the confident rocket in your prediction. I'm eager to see how he progresses. I am lucky though to have an area to bike with him on grass and little traffic...safer all around.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Went out for a two mile bike ride yesterday with Dakota. He is definitely getting more comfortable with it each time we go out. He already gets excited when I say "Wanna go bike?" and runs to the door. We passed an excited boxer on our ride/run yesterday and he did pretty well at continuing on and the Springer absorbed his pulling to the side very well. Now it'd be nice if he could get it through his head that when we bike he can't stop and smell the bushes and trees. Rolling Eyes When he tries to stop at a tree that does create a serious pull and it does slow me down to the point where I have to do some compensating to stay balanced but it pulls him too so he recovers pretty quickly and we are able to continue on. Like a typical husky though he doesn't know when to slow down or stop so keeping a close eye on him is so important so he doesn't overdo it. I can't wait till the fall to do some serious biking with him, in the meantime we'll practice these short runs to get him conditioned for the longer fall through spring biking we'll do.

Last edited by Huskyluv on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Went out for a two mile bike ride yesterday with Dakota. He is definitely getting more comfortable with it each time we go out. He already gets excited when I say "Wanna go bike?" and runs to the door. We passed an excited boxer on our ride/run yesterday and he did pretty well at continuing on and the Springer absorbed his pulling to the side very well. Now it'd be nice if he could get it through his head that when we bike he can't stop and smell the bushes and trees. Rolling Eyes When he tries to stop at a tree that does create a serious pull and it does slow me down to the point where I have to do some compensating to stay balanced but it pulls him too so he recovers pretty quickly and we are able to continue on. Like a typical husky though he doesn't know when to slow down or stop so keeping a close eye on him is so important so he doesn't overdo it. I can't wait till the fall to do some serious biking with him, in the meantime we'll practice these short runs to get him conditioned for the longer fall through spring biking we'll do.

HAHA SAME HERE WITH KODY!!! Mya does it too, but not that often. Those sudden stops to smell can throw you off for sure! I just tell Mya "NOOO, GO GO GO" and she normally keeps going. Kody on the other hand MUST STOP. I'm with you girl...totally! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Melissa, I have found that biking with an additional separate leash attached to his collar helps tremendously with curbing the stopping to smell a tree/bush and also keeps him looking forward rather than turning his head to see what's behind him. I originally attached an extra 6 ft lead to his collar as a safety measure in case he slipped his harness or got loose from the Springer somehow. The lead connected to his collar hangs loosely so he can turn his head in different directions and all, but if he starts to stray too far it tightens and he comes back in closer to the bike it, so actually serves a dual purpose and definitely lessens the attempts to stop and smell stuff. I think I need to go back to using the extra lead as a regular part of our biking.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:35 pm

I do the same...more for security reasons. Just in case the walky dog, or harness happen to break (knock on wood). Or like you said if they pull out of the harness. It really does help to control them also! If it wasn't for the collar and leash it would be much harder to get them to stop when I tell them to. I pull lightly on the leash and they stop to cross the street on the way to the park.

Now as far as the sniffing...yeah...doesn't work with Kody!

I have a 6ft leash also Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TattooedBeauty
Newborn
Newborn
TattooedBeauty

Female Join date : 2011-07-04

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I have the walky dog too! Jacob is 2 and a half and he took to it instantly as well, iget him to sit and stay while i put it on him and then on the bike, i get on and tell him lets go and we're off, we ususally only do about 1/2 a mile because he likes to just book it, full speed ahead so he gets tired quickly, i ride on the street and put the pull to the right so hes on the grass, since we do it twice a day i want to make sure his paws dont get raw ;
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/jacquelineleanalopez
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Jackie, first of all welcome!!! Jacob is so cute! =) This is too funny though! I'm in Miami also and check this out..LOL!!!

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1936-my-mya-tattoo
Back to top Go down
TattooedBeauty
Newborn
Newborn
TattooedBeauty

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 pm

omg thats awesome! who did it? im still not done with mine we're adding some more whites and contrasting light blues and grays to bring out the white, but i havent decided on a backround yet, was kind of thinking of doing the northern lights. who knows, where in miami are you?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks. I love it! Hurt like a b**ch, but so worth it! LOL! Chris Blinston from Big Brain 2. He did my hubby's entire sleeve and he did an AWESOME job so I knew that it would come perfect. They're located in Coral Springs (http://www.bigbrain2.com/chris.html). The spiderman that comes up is on my hubby's forearm. He had a super hero sleeve.

I'm in between Coral Gables and the Grove. Off of 37th ave & bird rd. Kristina from the forum is in Davie and she created a South Florida Snow Dogs meet up group. Check it out on FB

https://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_184793471549071&ap=1
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 9:00 pm

BTW, yours is on your thigh also? How long did it take? Mine took 2 1/2 hours...thank god! lol
Back to top Go down
TattooedBeauty
Newborn
Newborn
TattooedBeauty

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 9:04 pm

thats awesome yea i know who blinston is, i big into the tattoo world i actually have a full sleeve too. im on bird and 112, Jacob im sure would love to meet up with some more huskies. as would i, hes pretty good with other dogs, i took him to a dog park today for the first time and he behaved really well, he doesnt listen well when i call him back to me which is what im working on now but he wouldnt go to far from me which was a relief., no mine is on my lower leg on the outside, i dont have anything above the knee yet.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Ooooohhh you guys and the tattoo talk again! Gives me the chills to even think about the needles and pain and eeeeekkkkk! lol

Jackie, I hope to see you this Sat evening! That's our next meetup Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
TattooedBeauty
Newborn
Newborn
TattooedBeauty

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:00 pm

I tried to click in the facebook link but it just took me to my facebook I'm going to try it again though, I need to socialize with more husky owners and get some pointers lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:44 pm

TattooedBeauty wrote:
thats awesome yea i know who blinston is, i big into the tattoo world i actually have a full sleeve too. im on bird and 112, Jacob im sure would love to meet up with some more huskies. as would i, hes pretty good with other dogs, i took him to a dog park today for the first time and he behaved really well, he doesnt listen well when i call him back to me which is what im working on now but he wouldnt go to far from me which was a relief., no mine is on my lower leg on the outside, i dont have anything above the knee yet.

I probably couldn't rock a sleeve too well..lol. I have 3, but the one of Mya is my biggest/nicest one. I do want another one or 2, but not right now. I need to pace myself..lol.

Wow, you're pretty close to me! That's awesome! My 2 don't listen to me either...don't worry..lol. Kody is great with other dogs also, but Mya ehhhh not so much. I still try to take her though, but just have to keep an eye on her.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:46 pm

TattooedBeauty wrote:
I tried to click in the facebook link but it just took me to my facebook I'm going to try it again though, I need to socialize with more husky owners and get some pointers lol

hmmm...try looking up:
SFL Snowdogs! Siberian Husky & Alaskan Malamute South Florida
Back to top Go down
TattooedBeauty
Newborn
Newborn
TattooedBeauty

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:20 am

ok i got it i sent a request to join Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:23 pm

Update, I still LOVE my springer. Dakota is an absolute star at running with the bike attachment. By now he's learned almost completely (he does have the odd slip up every now and then) that when we bike he can't stop to sniff things. He's figured out how to pace himself so that the bungee cord attaching him to the springer is almost always slack! He's learned pretty well (still working on this though) to ignore other people and dogs that we encounter on our outings. He has learned to ignore prey items (like birds, squirrels, etc) while biking which is phenomenal! We've been biking at least 3 or more days a week and building up on distance. Our last two outings involved biking with him for 2 miles and he's doing very will with it. I think our limit throughout the summer will be 2 miles though, we'll have to wait until fall to start increasing distance. Such MAJOR improvement in only 2 weeks!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 pm

GO Dakota!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 3:48 pm

That's awesome Val!!!! How in the world did you get him to stop the sniffing while biking??? I almost busted my butt for the first time this morning with Mya because of that. She stopped cold turkey! Kody does it more than her and I've almost given up biking with him. It's supposed to be something fun and not frustrating!

Dakota...what a well behaved boy...i'm jealous! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cycling with your Husky   cycling with your Husky - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

cycling with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next