It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Indoor digging ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LunasMommy76
Newborn
Newborn
LunasMommy76

Indoor digging ideas Empty
PostSubject: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi all,

I hope this question hasn't already been posted somewhere else. We are a new husky family. Our girl, Luna, is 12 weeks old. My question is I've read a lot about digging and I plan on setting up a digging box in the yard BUT we're hoping to have Luna be an indoor dog whenever we're out. She will have a contained space that will be dog friendly but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on a "digging" area I can set up indoors for her so she's not using the couch. I was thinking of a section with old rags where I can "bury" some treats or toys as I would in a sandbox but wasn't sure if anyone had something their husky liked that was inside.

Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 pm

It is my experience that "couch digging" has less to do with digging and more to do with both "hey, there's a lump in my back" and equally frustration/boredom. I would think long and hard before leaving an uncrated husky in the house unattended. At least not for several years.

Indoor digging ideas 12508792_549986235176298_7716143674357808148_n
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 pm

The thing with the rags idea is if your puppy would chew/eat and then swallow any of them, you could potentially have a husky puppy with a blockage.

I don't really have any great ideas for you, my two are inside when I'm gone but they mostly just lay around/sleep til I get back. I wouldn't recommend giving bones or chews because those type of things should always be supervised, about the only thing that comes to mind to keep a puppy occupied that I've read people in here have used is maybe a Kong
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Personally, I think that what you're looking for is the worst of the alternatives.  Giving her permission to dig in anything in the house is very apt, imho, to have unexpected side effects.
With my two, Avalanche is much more comfortable being outside than in so when I have to leave the house for very long, he's outside on a long lead (and thankfully I live where I can leave him out with no expectations more than a(nother!) hole in my 'yard').
Sasha gets put on a 'house leash' that's tied so she has about 10 feet to roam in.  My only problem with her is that she'll tinkle in the kitchen if she's left free otherwise she's fine.  ( and I swear she waits till she hears the car door slam then runs to the kitchen! )

Er ... btw, if you're afraid that she might be going to 'dig' in the couch then maybe you ought to rethink your idea of "dog friendly" (curmudgeon hat in place, sorry)

While I don't crate, have never before even had a dog that I've had to leash when I go out, I'd strongly suggest crate training her until you're confident (if that ever happens) that you can leave her alone while you're out.

@amymeme I love that picture!!!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 2:30 pm

aljones wrote:
Giving her permission to dig in anything in the house is very apt, imho, to have unexpected side effects.

Have to say I strongly agree with this statement.

I wouldn't encourage indoor digging or any indoor "destructive" behavior especially when one is not around to supervise. I see no reason why an outdoor digging box would not be sufficient to get her digging desires out. If she's plenty exercised, both mentally and physically, then she will likely spend most of her indoor time sleeping...hopefully. Razz

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Such good advice on here! I would like to second the Kong idea. Stuff that puppy and freeze it overnight and she'll be quite occupied with it for maybe an hour or so. Really your best bet is to exercise her before you leave. Anything she could dig in you run the risk of her eating.

Sorry I know it's hard to keep them occupied while you're gone. Some other things that might be worth looking into are dog daycare or a dog walker depending on how long you're out. I know most daycares in my area offer discounts for half days.

*edit oh my god Amy is that nail polish remover on that end table? Whoever took that picture sure lives dangerously lol.
Back to top Go down
LunasMommy76
Newborn
Newborn
LunasMommy76

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Thank everyone!

Amymeme-Great points and I LOVE the pic.
Arctic_wind-also great points and the pups are adorable
aljones-I hadn't thought about the fact that it would give her permission to dig in the house. I will definitely figure out something else.
Huskyluv & Ruflower-I plan on getting her exercised and leaving her with kongs.

I think I'm overly anxious about keeping her occupied. Smile Trying to be a good mommy.
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 2:11 am

If you don't object to leaving the tv on while you're out running an errand, I would suggest finding a movie to play for Luna while you're out. It'll be one thing that could hold her attention for a little while along with a kong or some favorite toys (make sure to inspect them first before leaving them alone with her for a prolonged period of time). Our pup Red loves 101 Dalmatians and Hachi so we have been sectioning her off in the living room with the tv running while we're running some quick errands.

I would love to keep Red outside but we don't have a fenced area yet, we live on a main road and there have been coyote attacks on dogs in my area. If you have the means to safely keep Luna outside while you're out for long periods of time, I would suggest that. She'll have more freedom to run around and investigate the outdoors and not destroy your household furniture due to boredom or curiosity.
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 2:15 am

Forgot to mention that I agree with Al on the crate training. You will want to get that done first before you start leaving her home alone and unsupervised or else you will get some doggy surprises when you get home.
Back to top Go down
Ladywarbird90
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 1:32 pm

I have gotten my husky some treat puzzle toys. One I can put food in it and he has to turn the top to get food to drop. I also have a treat toy like a Kong and I put his treats in there for him. I also have a camera facing his kennel so I can check in on him while we are gone. He is 11 months old and can be trusted out in my room for about an hour. If I know I will be gone any longer, I will kennel him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indoor digging ideas   Indoor digging ideas Empty

Back to top Go down

Indoor digging ideas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1