It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Would your husky protect you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 4:12 pm

The presence of a husky is the best deterrence - but they are not guard dogs and never will be. The wolfy look and appearance do help deter those that don't know better - which is happily those who generally try to break in, etc. There have been times when I have debated crossing the street because of some shady appearing individual, and then I see that person look at us and cross the street themselves - looking wild eyed at the giant wolf beside me. LOL Very Happy

The presence of any dog will deter a break in since the people don't want anyone alerted. However, if someone really, really, really wanted to get in - they could get past a dog. My neighbor's great dane was unfortunately poisoned - they tossed a jelly donut filled with some sort of poison over the fence. Look into alarm system if you feel uneasy at home.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:10 pm

When I had my first husky, Casey, I ordered a part for an old light fixture at a lighting store.
They called me that the part was in right before I was going to take Casey for a run.
So I decided to run to the store, pick up the part and run back.
The store was in a bad part of town.
We had to run right past a corner that cops say is the roughest in town.
When we ran by, people flattened against the buildings.
I heard muttering, "WOLF!"
They were totally scared of him.
If they only knew the truth!
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:15 pm

We took the dogs for a hike one time and this group of people couldn't get away from Danzig fast enough. Tood bad Wyatt's theone they really need to worry about. I know he would protect us.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 pm

jalepeno wrote:
When I had my first husky, Casey, I ordered a part for an old light fixture at a lighting store.
They called me that the part was in right before I was going to take Casey for a run.
So I decided to run to the store, pick up the part and run back.
The store was in a bad part of town.
We had to run right past a corner that cops say is the roughest in town.
When we ran by, people flattened against the buildings.
I heard muttering, "WOLF!"
They were totally scared of him.
If they only knew the truth!

We don't live in the best neighborhood, our apartment complex is the nicest in the area but outside of the complex it can get pretty sketch. I was walking Anna late one night and some guy was getting out of his car. He told me Anna was pretty and asked if she was a wolf and of course I told him no, she is Siberian Husky. His next question was is she part wolf and I'm thinking buddy I just told you she isn't a wolf. Even though I told this man the truth I kind of like the fact that some people don't know what she is, I'm a tiny girl and if they want to think she is a wolf they are more than welcome to as long as they leave us alone.

Anyways Anna isn't very vocal unless she is just in the mood to talk. The other night though I was up late studying and someone was knocking on one of the doors upstairs. Well all of a sudden she starts barking at the door and gave me a heart attack. I'm tried to tell her to be quiet she just didn't want to listen, I guess she was trying to tell those people to stop making noise she was trying to sleep. Or she thought someone was trying to come in, I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Had I not seen Nunya's reaction to my now ex-boyfriend, I would say no. All of our dogs hated him and that should've been a sign haha

But Nunya is so sweet and gentle with everyone, he's never encountered a real threatening person. If he didn't defend me against them he would at least give a very convincing threat display, it helps that everyone around here thinks wolves are big hairy white beasts with bright blue eyes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lilbritty23
Newborn
Newborn
lilbritty23

Female Join date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Roxy would not protect me one bit. She would be the one to run up to someone and lick them to death. She's an attention hog, but she follows my every move. Our GSD however is the protector, he is very protective of me, but my BF trained him to guard and protect. Roxy on the other hand...I tried but she just thought I was trying to play and she'd attempt to give me high fives. Oh how I love my munchkin!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 am

Unfortunatelly Freya doesnt look at all like a "wolf" so I cant even use that to scare away would be intruders.

Freya is a mix of sibe and bull mastiff. The Bull Mastiff was bread as a protection dog.
On the other side of my fence line there is a walk way that runs the length of my property, there is a track that Freya has run in the dirt barking at the sounds of people as they walk past my house.

She is very vocal, she doesnt woo or talk, she does however have a very deep bark. She barks at people out the front, standing at the front door all protective with her hackles up. She allerts me to many things happening outside. Just seeing her would be a deterent I think. She not only has a big deep bark, but she's solid. She's 7 months old and 50lb - again from her Bull Mastiff.

I dont know if she would attack anyone if they came in. She's very submissive.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
SolitaryHowl
Puppy
Puppy
SolitaryHowl

Female Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:51 pm

If a person attacked me - nope...Suka wouldn't protect me.

Now, if it was an animal...I'm not so sure. He warned my family and I of a bear when we went camping, but I don't think he would actually fight the thing or risk his life. He'd probably just run away, the coward!
Back to top Go down
Nira Sky
Puppy
Puppy
Nira Sky

Male Join date : 2012-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Nira is very protective of me. I've had people over and pretend hit me and she will put their arm in her mouth and kind of jump and push them away. If me and my fiance play she does the same and tries to distance us. I don't think she would attack though
Back to top Go down
tcarp916
Puppy
Puppy
tcarp916

Female Join date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Carolina is weary of new people and will watch them, but more with curiosity. So would she protect me against a person. Possibly, but I'm not counting on it.

Other animals are another story. There are a few mean dogs in our complex and if they are acting aggressive towards me or my husband, she'll stand her ground.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Our neighborhood is a little dicey. Fargo was a big male and his presence would clear sidewalks. Lola is twenty pounds lighter and two inches shorter and she doesn't seem to have as big of an impact. Ironically, Lola is much feistier! Don't think she would protect me from a person. Maybe a squirrel, cat, Yorkie or such.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 12:33 am

LOL same thing with Frosti. Chili the bigger one is the pussy cat, Frosti the tiny adorable one is the fiesty one! She barked at a lady with a hoodie pulled over her face at the vet today!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 am

I had a neighbour come over the other day asking if she could borrow my phone to see where her 13yo son was. This is a neighbour whose house sometimes causes griefe in the neighbourhood, but I am not one to discriminate. I let her use my mobile phone.
She saw Freya - who was allert, inquisitive but not showing any kind of agression or anything - through the fly wire door. My neighbour commented on her asking what she was.
When I mentioned Husky, the neighbour becamjse very standoffish, claiming that she would be very viscious.

I didnt correct her. If she wants to think my dog is going to be viscious and attack if she or one of her friends came into my house/yard I'm all for her thinking that.

I just told her that Freya was fiercly loyal to her family. Smile

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
shay.hinton.09
Newborn
Newborn
shay.hinton.09

Female Join date : 2012-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:11 pm

I don't have to worry about anyone coming to hurt me because everyone in my neighborhood is scared to death of Cash! Animal wise, he would most likely attack anything that moved; Especially cats and squirrels..
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 am

Sky would never protect me. Though it may be a good thing that she sprints towards anyone approaching me just so they'll pet her.
Back to top Go down
Rami
Newborn
Newborn
Rami

Male Join date : 2013-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 1:36 am

my brother once toked Okami on the stadium to play with him and a gipsy threw the ball close to him.Okami was around 6 months old i think , we just got him not a long time ago so he wasnt really that old anyway the gipsy slapped my brother and the Okami jumped and bite that guys arm and wouldn't let go.

A more recent situation that happen : I was in the park and walking the dog when like 10 gipsy just stopped me and started to pick on me ( yes i know nobody likes gipsy ) it started to get a little physical but not really that violent , no punching or anything but one of them pushed me and Okami went behind me with his head low (he looked scared) and i think he was waiting for me to protect him,he was around 1 year old i think.

yestarday i started having a argument with 5-6 gipsy because they asked me for money and i didnt want to give them any so they started getting violent but only verbally and Okami didnt really cared,he cared more about getting to a small dog that was nearby to play with him but the gipsy didnt really get that close to me , didnt have the courage i think because i was with the dog so they threw a rock but not towards me , they threw it towards Okami and near missed him and Okami just turned to them and stared at them not moving (he looked like he was trying to figure out what happened) and then all 5-6 gipsy ran.

So i cant really say if Okami would protect me but I am as curious as you are but I trust him and he doesn't seem to be scared to get in a fight. If a street dog attacks him he attacks back or he keeps walking at the same speed as he was all the time but never seen him trying to run away.
Back to top Go down
http://journaloframi.blogspot.ro/
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 1:15 pm

I think bella would yell at me rather then protect me, jasper would just yank out of my had and run up and down the street with his dopey 'haha im loose you cant get me' face. But you cant mess with my nephew fred when bellas around especially other dogs, jasper tries to get mouthy with fred and we dont have to say a word anymore cause bella turns around and goes after jasper. The old husky mix i had would bark and howl if she felt someone was bothering me or my siblings and that got attention so they would leave us alone, she pushed my brother away from a speeding car once toobut i really think that was her shepard and collie coming through there. People where surprsingly afraid of nova and usually crossed streets and pulled their kids and dogs away from us if we were out but bella and jasper they flock to which i find hysterical cause i think they are more wolfy looking then Nova was but people will walk right up to us no problem. Then you get the inevitible, "is he okay!?!" Because jasper falls over like you swipped his legs out from under him when someone compliments him.
Back to top Go down
Me & Ghost
Puppy
Puppy
Me & Ghost

Female Join date : 2012-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I think Ghost would just be sitting like "whatever..." or "yeah, finish that fast so we can return to our walk", lol.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Micole .... She stands in front of me and watches when someone is in the yard. I like to pretend she is guarding them for me . She has never barked at them or growed. Actually got some pictures of her doing so lol

Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 20130412_135404_zps15a708a9

Her guarding me from them, when she saw me taking the pictures she would lick me and went back to her buisness lol more like "MOM!! I am trying here dang it!!" lol She is so serious here lol

Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 20130412_140508_zpsc2802681
Back to top Go down
bphx123
Newborn
Newborn
bphx123

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 pm

mine would deff attack as well.. I love the fact he is aggresive / protective. I swear if someone knocks on the door he barks and howls like crazy.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Would your husky protect you?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3