It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Would your husky protect you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Haha saya might just turn on me in a heartbeat. Lol if the other person sweet talks her Im screwed lol
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:08 am

Dakota did protect me. We were camping and while I was in the tent a man was walking by our site and around the back following the trail and Dakota, while on a tie out, went straight to him and walked next to him the whole time growling. This was so out of character for him. Dakota was very laid back and would just lay there and watch people as they walk by but not this guy. I pretty much just popped my head out the tent and stared with my jaw to the ground. As soon as the guy was far enough away Dakota Trotted back over by me and laid down like nothing happened. I never saw that guy again. Lol! I think Aspen would but I do think it would be fear motivated. I've had no issues with her with people coming over except with my mom. My mom is terrified of dogs and when she walked in my door, Aspen sensed her unease immediately and you could tell she was on alert! When I convinced my mom to sit down and relax, then Aspen relaxed. Willow would welcome thief with kisses.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 am

Mine would and has already done so. If a stranger walks up to me, Titus will stand in front of me even if he is frighten. He will watch the stranger the whole time until he walks away. We did a scenario with his trainer because we think he is overprotective. We had the trainer push me roughly and Titus growled at first and lunged at the trainer, snapping him when he push me harder. But it's only me, he won't protect my partner.
The last time we were in a dog park, I left my bag near a bench and a toy poodle was trying to get treats out of it. Titus grabbed the poodle (did not bite) away from the bag and ended up killing the poodle because of their weight different (5lbs and 72lbs).
We are working on his overprotective behavior now. It's a good thing around robbers but not a good thing around others.
My puppy Lycan on the other hand will not care much if people comes up to the front door or even turning the door knob. He will do that woo-woo sound only. Doesn't know what is fear or danger as he is always protected by Titus.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:19 am

I always wonder about this. Phantom has zero protective/defensive/aggressive responses around anyone we've ever come in contact with. Once a large, burly maintenance man came into the apartment when she was home alone and she was just excited someone was there. I do wonder if I was screaming and scared or being physically assaulted if instinct would make her defend me.

She is very protective of me with animals though. I always worry about this while hiking, because most animals (that I'd ever encounter on the east coast) will not want to want to come near humans. But I do wonder how a growling dog would affect a bear or coyote, should we ever encounter one. It does make me feel safer when we sleep though, since I know she'd immediately be alerted to any animal or human near our tent site.
Back to top Go down
Petra13
Newborn
Newborn
Petra13

Male Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 am

We have this crazy person in our apartment building and 2 days ago i met him at the entrance . I was with Petra tho Smile He punched me in the face without reason , Petra see it and run away Razz i forgot for the punch for 1 sec i went to catch her on the stairs and put her in the elevator on the first floor . This crazy person have been runing along with as couse as soon as i put her in the elevator he was at my back . I beat him soo badly an ambulance got him after i finished with him . So she runs i run after her to cach her, wont protect me for sure but i love her more now Razz
Kinda baby yet 4 and a half moth will see in the future could be a fighter . I wont encourage her tho i had have a fighter once Razz
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:05 am

I´m sure Anubis would protect me. There was a strange situation twice when we went for a walk, it was dark both times and he suddenly refused to walk any further and started barking and growling. Don´t know what it was but I guess it is better to trust your dog in such situation so we turned around and went home quickly.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 10:32 am

Petra13 wrote:
We have this crazy person in our apartment building and 2 days ago i met him at the entrance . I was with Petra tho Smile He punched me in the face without reason , Petra see it and run away Razz i forgot for the punch for 1 sec i went to catch her on the stairs and put her in the elevator on the first floor . This crazy person have been runing along with as couse as soon as i put her in the elevator he was at my back . I beat him soo badly an ambulance got him after i finished with him . So she runs i run after her to cach her, wont protect me for sure but i love her more now Razz
Kinda baby yet 4 and a half moth will see in the future could be a fighter . I wont encourage her tho i had have a fighter once Razz

WoW... That's Terrible..... I hope you are alright....

The only random punches I need to worry about are from Kelly.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 am

Tika wrote:

lol!

Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:12 pm

Saphire thinks she protects the house. She checks out everyone that comes through the door. But I think its only because she want's attention.

Should have seen her with the trick-or-treaters. She just looked at them with sad eyes like why aren't you petting me? It was cute.

She does look a little wicked though and still hasn't learned not to jump on new people. (We have it down with everyone I know because of trying to practice not doing it but if its someone new she gets excited and jumps up.) So maybe this would scare them off.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:54 pm

I think so. Whenever my boyfriend and I play 'fight', she always tries to bite his hands and pull them off me! Then she starts barking and jumping at him lol. She even does it when we're cuddling - she'll walk over and pull his hands off -.- lol. Jealous little girl. I never ever hear her growl though.

Whenever we're on walks, she's always very attentive to any strangers. She watches them until we're out of sight.

Thanks for posting this! I've always wondered.
Back to top Go down
Petra13
Newborn
Newborn
Petra13

Male Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Tika wrote:
Petra13 wrote:

WoW... That's Terrible..... I hope you are alright....

~Chris~
I am fine thank you Smile I kinda did that ones for a living , so i have the training to take some punches and bunches Razz haha .
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 4:09 pm

I really don't know with Thane he seems like he wouldn't because he loves to meet people and is kissy face. But at certain times he will stare at people till he loses line of sight and stays completely still and focused on that person.
Back to top Go down
Sackman1886
Newborn
Newborn
Sackman1886

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Robinhuskylover2231 wrote:
Cally barks at men and old people on walks and she is always weary of people coming into the house until she knows they are okay and even then she's iffy about who she does and doesn't like-she hates old people and tall men. She's also very jealous, I have no doubt that she would protect me.

I don't blame her at all. I don't trust old people either. I mean, look at 'em!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Ruby (lab) would probably lick them to death, Balon would do that low throaty growl like thing and circle them, that's what he does when a new person comes over. Once he gets that its ok for them to be there, he would be all over them.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Blaze would just look at them and ask us what they are doing here. He may just greet them with alot of licking.

Kerian on the other hand would bark and growl. She tends to be a guard dog.

Once on a TV program some one said drop your weapons she got very upset and came over to us barkng at us. lol!
I lfigured something in her pass caused this reaction.

Back to top Go down
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 10:09 pm

From inanimate objects...yes.

People...not so much

She just started barking and growling and ran into the house from the backyard...I go out (she never barked or growled like that before), thinking maybe it's a rabbit or field mouse...nope...it was a styrofoam food container that blew over the fence (windy tonight).
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 10:54 pm

I don't think my girls would protect me. Sophie would poof up and run behind me. I don't really know much about Kay yet, so I don't know what she would do. Maya would just give me that look that means I'm on my own.
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 4:06 am

dakota would protect me , at least, from any animals. He proved it when the raccoons invaded our back yard. He still patrols the fence line at night to make sure they don't come back.

From someone breaking into the house.... notsomuch ... he'd probly lead them to the treat cabinet and beg for cookies.

now if someone was hurting me he might put his teeth on them but more to join the "play" than to protect me or harm them. like some others said when my hubby and i play fight and i call dakota save me owe owe he will mouth my hubby but he doesn't bite down like he is capable of.

it's really hard to say until you are in that situation and you wouldn't want to test it because they might be the kind of dog that would harm a stranger and then you have a dog attack on your hands.... which no one wants .... just to see what would happen in a real situation.
Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Female Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 am

When I was younger I had a very small but energetic husky. I was walking her one day and was attacked by a large dog. She actually bit the ear of the other dog and tore it loose. The owner came out of his house and threatened to sue. Yeah buddy, You're gonna sue a 13 year old kid who's on a dirt road with a bloody hand and my dog licking it. That's smart Smile
Back to top Go down
Kandice.Jenell
Newborn
Newborn
Kandice.Jenell

Female Join date : 2012-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

My husky is pretty useless when it comes to strangers haha. I'm pretty sure he would just make buddies with them...he is also terrified of coyotes. We have about 4 of them that hang out in the backyard and Bandit will flip out when they are out there and we'll let him in and he'll run straight to his kennel. He would probably tear a Raccoon or something that size up though.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:32 pm

My Bella would definately protect me from another animal, she doesn't let any animal get near me. She's pretty jealous of people around me too but usually just gets between us so they can't get near me. She's a little bipolar about though, when we approach people she'll alternate from wanting to run up to them to hiding behind me and then when we get near them she's all about greeting people. Never really encountered a hostile person so I'm not sure how she would react to that.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Not from people. Bodhi would try to make friends.

He goes after coyotes when we see them on walks. And raccoons, skunks, chipmunks, rabbits too!
Back to top Go down
JMS
Newborn
Newborn
JMS

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 2:23 pm

I asked this question a while back because it's really the one thing that bothers me about Isi: I just don't think she'd be much help in the event of danger. For example: she does not bark or seem at all concerned when strangers come to the door, is never suspicious of anyone new, etc.

However, when my kids are hurt or crying Isi will push me out of the way to come investigate and lick them. If my husband and the kids are wrestling around on the floor and the kids are yelling (in fun) she'll come nose her way in and try to shove him away from them. So maybe there's a protective instinct in there somewhere. Hopefully we won't have to test it. (Sometimes I secretly want to set up a faux dangerous situation just to see what she'd do!)

I guess the misconception that they are vicious dogs works to our advantage in these cases!

Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Not in a million years. She is too skiddish in most situations and too friendly the rest of the time! She might protect me from a squirrel Razz
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Huskies aren't suppose to be guard dog's. Akita's on the other hand are a lot more protective.

When you're dog goes to break up what she may think is a scuffle, is totally normal. I see dog's do it at the park all the time. Whether or not she would protect you in case of an emergency is completely up to the dog, but from my understanding it isn't in their character to do so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Would your husky protect you?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next