It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Would your husky protect you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jesselpark
Newborn
Newborn
jesselpark

Male Join date : 2012-10-06

Would your husky protect you? Empty
PostSubject: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:34 pm

So I have my own thoughts on this, but I'd like to get everyone else's opinion on the matter especially those who are veteran husky owners and who may have potentially experienced these scenarios:

(pretext): I know husky's aren't the most protective dogs, they're pretty nonchalant around the house and welcome new visitors and don't really bark at strangers etc

Question: Heaven forbid, but if some situation arose and your house was being broken into by a robber - do you think your husky would realize either by his actions or your reaction to being robbed/threatened and would attack the robber? essentially protect you? or would he just walk up to him and start licking him/smelling him?

other question which I'm almost certain it's a yes...: if you're out camping in the woods, set up your campsite and remain there for awhile, if some predatory animal like a wolf, coyote, raccoon, etc. approached your campsite, do you think your husky would definitely protect you from the threatening animal?

I'd love to hear anyones thoughts on the matter! thank you
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Yes, mine would and has already from both people and animals. I don't expect that all huskies would but mine definitely does if he senses something is not right.

Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 pm

While I havent seen much of Tika's protective side, I think she would have some sense of someone breaking in as harmful, if she didnt attack, she would likely growl, and she can look pretty bad ass.

Ripley on the other hand, protects Tika all the time, and I have very little doubt in my mind about what she would do if someone broke into our house. She is part Chow though and they are guard dogs, but still. She is no small dog and if soemone were to come at us, they might not leave with all their body parts.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Ghost would. I travelled alone with her from FL to Chicago a few months ago, and the night we spent in a hotel she slept all night pressed against the door.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Would your husky protect you? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Kale protects me on walks. If there's some sketchy guys, kale will walk right next to me, hackles raised, and do the low growl while walking by. He also barks and bares teeth at people that walk in the house without being invited, until someone lets him know that the person is okay. Then he'll go up and lick them. Kale has always been protective of his "pack".
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Cally barks at men and old people on walks and she is always weary of people coming into the house until she knows they are okay and even then she's iffy about who she does and doesn't like-she hates old people and tall men. She's also very jealous, I have no doubt that she would protect me.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 3:59 pm

If i were in a bad situation I would hope so. The only time Mya has shown any protectiveness was a few years ago that I was walking her and some car with a few guys stopped to hit on me. I was kind of scared because it was getting dark and they were just driving along next to us. I think she felt it and started growling and barking at them.

Kody has never show any signs that he would protect me. Punk Razz Asia on the other hand barks at men in the street and new people that come into the house that she doesn't know. I think that's because of her past though. She's scared of men.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 4:05 pm

I don't think Sabaka would protect us from people but maybe he would animals. We had a husky before Sabaka, so my 20 years of husky-ownership leads me to believe that most would just lick the robber to death or welcome them directing them to our valuables. (Actually, that might not be true... In a real home invasion or attack while walking with screaming and abuse, I think both of mine would either hide or bolt if a door was left open or the leash dropped.)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

I don't think Hailey would. She's a lover, not a fighter, but if we were in danger somehow, she MIGHT. She'd more than likely take the cue from Koda though.

Koda... I think he would if we were truly in danger and he knew it. I almost had a microwave fire in our old apartment. It started smoking VERY badly and filled the house. I had to put a towel on my face to get the dogs outside and tied up. Hailey ran right to me, but Koda held his ground (to get to me, he had to go through the smoking kitchen) and HOWLED like I've never heard him before. I had to run across the kitchen and grab him. He still wouldn't move until I looked him in the eye and told him it was okay. Then he came with me.

We also went camping one night and he raised his hackles and began growling when I'm about 90% sure there were coyotes circling our lean-to.

He has to really know there's danger though. A normal stranger he wouldn't budge for.

Would your husky protect you? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 pm

I believe that mine would. Hayden barks/low growls at new people entering our home (especially men). His size is pretty intimidating to people and have people back up from him all the time. Our refrigerator almost caught on fire month's back in the middle of the night and Hayden woke me up from a dead sleep and pointed it out to me.

Nicky is very protective outside of the house. If anyone tries to come up to the car, she freaks out and has her hackles up. She also doesn't like strangers approaching us or other dog's.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Nope. A dude walked into my apartment last fall- and I was freaking out- and Ro was hidden behind the open door and Ko hiding under the bed. I'd feel safer with my chihuahua.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Heather! wrote:
Nope. A dude walked into my apartment last fall- and I was freaking out- and Ro was hidden behind the open door and Ko hiding under the bed. I'd feel safer with my chihuahua.

lol! I remember that! Not laughing at the situation, I would have been SO SCARED, but at the fact that they hid. Wuss dogs..lol. Mine would probably hide too!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 5:43 pm

We always thought Koda would be a better protector since he tends to be a good judge of character, but apparently when there is a "bad man," he only thinks of himself. What a jerk, haha.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Delilah will bark - and get defensive if someone enters her home without being invited...but Cato will just go lick them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't think Loki would if a stranger broke in but that's why I have my Springfield by my side of the bed. If it was animal I don't have a doubt especially when he took down a ground hog.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I think that a dog reacting out of fear or possession is different than protecting- regardless what others think. It's something I dont want to encourage.

My dogs bark when someone comes to the door or walks our sidewalk. That's enough.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm

I agree Kristina - an alert is all I would need.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 7:13 pm

I think Bode would protect me if someone was physically attacking me. When my fiance and I are goofing around or wrestling, Bode doesn't like it and will jump on Anthony and bark/growl at him, especially if I am making a lot of noise or screaming.

I don't think he would do anything about someone coming into our home. He'd be interested but not on protective mode.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 pm

All I would have to do is give Anna a signal. Hahah. When Chris and I play fight ill tell her to help me and she will get in between us and bite him. She won't do the same if he says help me and I'm beating him up. Hahah. Might be because we are just playing but Anna is a mommy's girl so I don't doubt she would help me if someone was hurting me.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Snow is very protective of my son. She mainly 'guards' him from the foster husky. It's to the point where Avery, the foster, will attempt to walk where my son is and snow attacks her. We haven't figured out why it's just that particular dog though, as she lets Mia and Goober around him with no problem and has never been aggressive at all.
As I'm getting bigger pregnant we've noticed she has become my shadow around the house. If I'm sitting somewhere she HAS to be next to me.
As far as if someone were to walk in the house, I would hope she would but I'm not sure what would happen.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

I don't encourage behavior. The post was asking whether or not we thought our animals would. I don't think Hailey would. I think Koda would/might.

Would your husky protect you? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 7:48 pm

I don't know for sure. Danzig hasn't really ever shown agressiveness towards people, but animals is another story. Everytime we've camped with him, he was on alert all night making "woof" noises. Also, at night he likes to hang out by the window and watch everyone and everything going by. He gets in fights with the foxes from inside the house and our windows have suffered because of it. On the other hand, he is a really big scaredy cat so who knows.

I know our GSP would protect me against animal or person for sure. He pays more attention to things like that.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 8:33 pm

I seriously doubt Nanook would protect me. I have yet to hear him bark. (He's the quietest dog I've ever had.) When someone comes over he might get all happy-excited, dancing around, etc. but usually he's just like 'whatever'. Plus he's in his crate on the rare occasion no one is home or the couple of hours when all the humans are asleep.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 pm

When Mylo was here he was my bodyguard. Twice where I had previously lived he intercepted someone trying to come in thru the bedroom window when I was sleeping. Animals just seem to know to stay the hell away from me if I didn't know them, Mylo would either step in front of me or press against my left leg waiting for a command if need be there.

Now Biko seems to be very similar in action, hell he gives Beth a hard time at night if I turn in earlier then her. When she enters the bedroom he hops up on the bed and guards me until I wake and tell him to cool his jets.

Adobo, would only protect me if it was a cat or squirrel attacking.
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
...would only protect me if it was a cat or squirrel attacking.

This about sums up Brewer. Otherwise, he would just as soon make friends with any stranger or dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would your husky protect you?   Would your husky protect you? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would your husky protect you?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next