It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What flea preventative is best? HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 4:21 am

I believe Sam and Megan pretty much covered it for me, nothing really for me to add. But yes, drops on collars with the oils and the ACV and garlic added to their food. Bugs are really bad this year because of our mild winter but my dogs are still totally pest free.

Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 4:23 am

Huskyluv wrote:
I believe Sam and Megan pretty much covered it for me, nothing really for me to add. But yes, drops on collars with the oils and the ACV and garlic added to their food. Bugs are really bad this year because of our mild winter but my dogs are still totally pest free.

What brand ACV do you use and how much of it do you use?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 4:34 am

At lot of people use Bragg's. I forget what brand I have but just be sure to use the unpasteurized product that contains "mother". I mix 1 tbsp in my sibes food every other day.

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm sorry for adding another question, but is the hollistic method safe to use on a 10 wk old puppy? Is the ACV okay to use in the food as well? Of course I would probably use 1/2 a tbsp since she's around 12-14 LBs.

Thanks for any input. Also, thank you for the tip! This will definitely save me some money and I feel better about not using chemicals.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Hmm, I hadn't thought about ACV for puppies. I would think it would be fine but I haven't found out that for sure so don't quote me on that. As far as dose goes, my 6.5 lb Chihuahuas get 1 tsp of ACV every other day. My 50 lb sibe gets 1 tbsp of ACV every other day.

Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Valerie arent those oils toxic for cats? I have 3 cats so would the oils pose a problem?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 3:52 pm

I don't think the cats will be negatively affected unless they come in direct contact with the oils which is unlikely. My dogs used to live with 4 cats and never was there any problem. My mother in law uses the oils on her 4 dogs and none of her 3 cats has had an issue.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:50 am

So Link is due for a dose of flea, tick , and heartworm treatment and I have been reading and researching holistic methods.

I keep coming back to these oils and digested items (garlic and ACV). I get how the digested items work because basically they work just like the topical poisons the vets give work-distribution through the bloodstream.

But with the oils, what is the distribution method? How does one drop of oil on a collar prevent fleas from crawling up their back legs and hips?

I'm not being a skeptic on the functionality or value, but I'm just curious about the HOW.

I am really hesitant to buy more topical poison to circulate through my dog's body. I just can't help comparing the functionality of the poison to a drop of oil on a collar. I don't get how the latter actually does anything in terms of circulation and as a repellant.

Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:09 am

The poisons don't usually repel at all - the oil does repel. It repels very, very well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 1:15 pm

I believe fleas have a stronger sense of smell than we think. I do 3 different oils once a week. I think tea tree is the most effective, but I don't like the smell lol.

I use: cedarwood, rose geranium (for ticks) and lavender. I probably drop 2-3 drops on the collar per 'scent'. The garlic and organic ACV (has to be organic for the mother) emits through their fur and scent glands, therefore keeping the fleas at bay (they don't like the smell).
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks Jackie, that's a great synopsis.

So it is really the smell of the oils from the collar that repels them. Good to know. I was thinking that maybe it could have been a chemical deterrent.

Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 2:29 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Thanks Jackie, that's a great synopsis.  

So it is really the smell of the oils from the collar that repels them.  Good to know.  I was thinking that maybe it could have been a chemical deterrent.  

Yep, just the oils! Make sure it's 100% pure oil and not a mix or blend. Sometimes they mix other stuff in there to dissipate the oil as much as possible. Also, you have to not have any fleas at all for this to work. Meaning this hollistic method only prevents fleas, not get rid of. I usually give juneau a capstar pill if I catch any fleas on her. It's also normal to do oils twice a week in summer if it's humid in your area.

For the garlic, you can use minced or powder. Doesn't really make a difference between the two. Incase you were wondering Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Ok, so another practical question.

Link's collar is the Ruffwear waterproof collar.  Essentially a rubber type of material. He's a swimmer and it rains here a lot.

Would this be a problem because the oils wouldn't be able to soak into it?

What is the time period needed for the application? Does the treated collar need to be worn constantly?  Applied on say Monday and then worn only until.....?
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:16 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Ok, so another practical question.

Link's collar is the Ruffwear waterproof collar.  Essentially a rubber type of material.  He's a swimmer and it rains here a lot.

Would this be a problem because the oils wouldn't be able to soak into it?

What is the time period needed for the application? Does the treated collar need to be worn constantly?  Applied on say Monday and then worn only until.....?
Yeah, that'd be a problem. :l I love that collar though lol.

Do you have a harness that he can wear? Or maybe you can have him switch between two collars. One for the house and one for swimming. Even if he went swimming in a regular collar, the oil would probably wash out. That's why we feed the garlic and ACV.

Yes, the collar would need to be worn constantly. Unless you take it off for sleeping or something.

I do the oils on Saturday afternoon and do them again the next Saturday. You feed the garlic and ACV every other day. There are certain doses per the weight of your husky. 1/16 tspn of garlic and 1 tablespoon for 50 lbs. There's a dosage thread around here somewhere...

Hope I'm answering your questions!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Ok noted.

I'll have to consider these practical issues.

Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:23 pm

You're welcome. Smile It's so economical and safe, which is why I like using it.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:26 pm

I think it might be good for us. Link has never had fleas or ticks, as far as I know, and we just moved into a new house so things should be good.

We do go to the woods a lot so maybe we will consider having some...err...poison on hand for these times, as Val mentioned she does earlier in this thread.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:44 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
I think it might be good for us. Link has never had fleas or ticks, as far as I know, and we just moved into a new house so things should be good.  

We do go to the woods a lot so maybe we will consider having some...err...poison on hand for these times, as Val mentioned she does earlier in this thread.  
Yeah, that's fine. My rescue organization supplies us with frontline. I just don't use it personally on a regular basis because our family dog would get sick from it. I would probably use it if we were going hiking though.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Jackie, what do you use for heartworms?
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:43 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Jackie, what do you use for heartworms?
I use ivermectin straight out of the bottle. You can get it online or a local feed store. There's a ml/lbs formula floating around. It's used for swine and is the main ingredient in all heartworm regimes. The formula is .001ml/lb. There's a thread floating around about this too. A few other members do it. My bottle will last me a few yrs at least and it was $45. I use a syringe and put it on a treat. Juneau gets 1.2 ml.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Perfect, you rock. Thanks.

I know the key is preventing mosquito bites which the oils and things do. I am reading this site now

http://www.thewholedog.org/heartworm.html
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:54 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Perfect, you rock. Thanks.  

I know the key is preventing mosquito bites which the oils and things do.  I am reading this site now

http://www.thewholedog.org/heartworm.html
Awesome! I've even talked to my vet. She's fine with it and we've ran a test at her annual checkup. Still heartworm free after using ivermectin after a year.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Are they recommending that you use heartworm prevention there in the PNW now? Back when we lived there they told us we didn't need it because the instances of HW in that area were so rare that we didn't need it. We lived in Mukilteo, WA when we lived out there (not far from Seattle) and never used HW prevention until we moved back to the southeast in late 2008.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 5:00 pm

No, Val, not specifically. I am just doing general research and learning and I just know that in general the big 3 to look out for are fleas, ticks, and heartworms.

So far we have used Advantage Multi for all 3 and Link has been fine, at least as far as the 3 parasites go. No trace of any of them.

I don't know how Seattle ranks in terms of likelihood of any of these 3, actually. But I am not aware of it being too bad or heard anything. It's never hot or dry here.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 5:04 pm

That said, our vet up until the move was pretty run of the mill: here's some poisons and some Purina and please be very scared and come back if anything is wrong whatsoever.

So I have no direct supervision or support.

I am just thankful they have been indifferent at worst towards his raw diet.

Our new vet that we haven't seen yet said the same about his diet:

" we are indifferent but we have seen some complications with raw diets."

"yeah, well there are complications with corporate kibble too."

"yes, this is true."

Truce.

Not sure how the essential oil and natural parasite prevention conversation is gonna go...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What flea preventative is best? HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next