It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Natural Flea and Tick Preventative

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Natural Flea and Tick Preventative Empty
PostSubject: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Would anyone recommend this product for flea and tick prevention?
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Herbal-Defense-Oil-Blend/999193.aspx

Mom and I are deciding if we should use the cedarwood/lavender and rose geranium or just that.
Also, does lemon juice work too?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm sure that product would work well enough if you want something ready-made. But then you pay a lot more for it when you could buy 2 individual essential oils for much cheaper.

My three top picks for flea repelling oils are either Cedarwood, Lavender, or Tea Tree Oil. I personally don't like the smell of Tea Tree Oil so I don't ever shop for it but it's another alternative if you're pricing out different oils.

Never heard of lemon juice being used for flea/tick repellant purposes.

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:38 pm

I love the smell of Tea Tree Oil use to heat it up in a water and oil steamer when ever I got a cold or sinus infection. Come to think of it I never had fleas either.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:04 am

Which brands do you buy? I picked a four ounce bottle for the cedarwood oil and two two-ounce bottles of rose geranium, and it came out to almost $20 before shipping costs. I guess that's cheaper than $16 for the two ounce bottle of that pre-made stuff. haha
I don't like the way tea tree oil smells either, but I do like lavender.

Quote :
I love the smell of Tea Tree Oil use to heat it up in a water and oil steamer when ever I got a cold or sinus infection. Come to think of it I never had fleas either.
Well that's good lol!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 8:38 am

I'm not brand loyal when it comes to my oils. I just buy whatever I can find cheapest (which is usually at Amazon), I think I bought a 2 oz bottle of Cedarwood oil for around $8 and a 1 oz bottle of Rose Geranium oil for about $4-$5 and got free shipping at Amazon since I'd ordered some other stuff too. I bought my oils in the summer of 2010 and I still haven't run out yet.

Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Wow Shocked That's a long time!

I'm having a really hard time finding rose geranium oil from a seller that has good ratings, or any ratings at all, or with an eye dropper in the bottle.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Here4thePics wrote:

LMFAO! I use tea tree oil shampoo and I don't think I've ever had fleas either! lol! You crack me up!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 9:33 pm

dahowlers wrote:
I'm having a really hard time finding rose geranium oil from a seller that has good ratings, or any ratings at all, or with an eye dropper in the bottle.

I don't recall what seller I ordered from through Amazon, but mine doesn't have a dropper and I don't think I paid any attention to seller ratings either. I find it easy to just tilt the bottle and let a single drop spill out onto the collar then just rub it in. Of course always wash your hands if you get it on you to avoid any potential skin irritation.

Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Okay, now I just need to buy some books to avoid shipping Very Happy haha
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:32 pm

I can't find rose geranium oil that is included in the shipping thing that's at least an oz :[
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:58 am

I misspoke earlier, my Rose Geranium oil is a half ounce bottle. Doesn't matter what size you get or where you get it though.

Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 am

Is it better to use natural oils on the collar rather than something commercial like frontline?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:21 am

I wouldn't use the word "better". I prefer using oils instead of chemical products because I don't like giving my dogs a dose of poison every month. However one must use whatever works to achieve the results they desire.

Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:49 am

hmm, makes sense, the oils probably smell better too! how often and how much do you have to apply?
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Quote :
how often and how much do you have to apply?

yes, I'm interested in this. Utah doesn't have much of a tick or flea problem so we didn't worry about it last year, but this year we plan on getting deeper into the backwoods so we want to be extra prepared.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Since I've posted on this subject many times before, forgive me if I copy and paste a previous post so I don't have to type it all out again.

It contains more than you're asking for, but I posted the following in another thread back in 2010:

Huskyluv wrote:
Yes, we had a really bad flea and tick year both in FL and SC. Glory and Faith both picked up fleas and Faith also picked up a lot of ticks too. I was fed up with it so I did some research on natural alternatives and came up with my own combo for flea/tick repellent. I have been off chemical flea/tick prevention for the heaviest portion of flea/tick season this summer. I started this in June of this year and have been pest free since day one and we have gone 5 months without a single flea or tick. What's even more impressive is that before the switch my chi girls had gotten fleas and Faith was picking up ticks at least once a week if not more.

Some people do make a mix but I don't. I did a lot of research on the different oils and supplements that help repel fleas and ticks and picked and chose what products I wanted to use. I figured it would be a work in progress and might need tweaking but I tried it out and have seen great results so far.

First off I will say that I use essential oils and essential oils are toxic to cats, so if you have felines present in the household essential oils are NOT an option.

What I use:
Weekly - 1 drop of Cedarwood oil and 1 drop of Rose Geranium oil on the collar (and/or harness)
Daily- I alternate adding garlic and apple cider vinegar in their food. So one day I add a small amount of garlic to their food the next day I add apple cider vinegar and rotate daily.

There are other oils and alternatives that you can use besides what I choose to use. For example, food grade diatomaceous earth is a safe flea repellent that can be spread in the yard, sprinkled on the carpet and vacuumed up and even put on the dogs coat. Other flea repelling oils include tea tree oil and lavender oil. I use cedarwood oil on my dogs' collars and harnesses which is a flea repellent and occasionally I use lavender oil around the house. I don't use tea tree oil because I'm not too fond of the smell but I do have tea tree oil dog shampoo that I use intermittently. The only reason I use Cedarwood oil on their collars instead of Lavender oil as a flea repellent is because the Cedar oil is cheaper for me to get. Otherwise I would use Lavender oil since it smells so much more appealing to me.

Rose Geranium oil is a natural tick repellent that has worked amazingly well. I had my doubts about its effectiveness when Faith was picking up a ton of ticks this year. Well seeing is believing and we've not seen a single tick since the day we started using the Rose geranium oil. The huge bonus with this is the smell, I LOVE it. The dogs literally smell like roses with that stuff on their collars. Very Happy

Food supplements, garlic repels fleas and mosquitoes. Every other day I put just a tiny bit of garlic in their food, less than 1/8 tsp. Garlic is toxic to dogs in very large quantities but small quantities like what I do every other day are actually good for them. Apple cider vinegar is the best, you want to use the pure, unpasteurized product with the mother in it (you can find it at most health food stores). ACV really is such an amazing product and has so many benefits. ACV is antibacterial and anti fungal; it improves the immune system, liver, bladder and kidney function; helps with itchy skin and allergies; balances digestive enzymes; normalizes the pH of the body; repels both internal and external parasites like fleas and worms; provides potassium for tissue and joint health; makes a great ear cleaning solution; reduces inflammation...the list could go on and on! Don't take my word for it, look up more info on ACV yourself. It's benefits not only work for us but our dogs too. You can mix ACV directly into your dogs food or put it in their water. If you are trying to get rid of fleas or combating skin issues you can make a 50/50 mix of ACV and water in a spray bottle and spray it on their coat or you can give them a bath in the 50/50 mix. My sibe gets 1 tablespoon of ACV every other day mixed directly with his food.

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Just purchased Cedarwood, Rose Geranium, and Lavender! We have been doing ACV for quite some time, but I was curious if we should used minced garlic or garlic powder? Does it even matter?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm

I always do minced garlic. I don't know how effective garlic powder would be.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 1:37 am

This is so helpful! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:27 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread! My beagle is allergic to fleas and has stop responding to the pills and advantage....with the minced garlic, is this the kind you would usually cook with? Also, with the lavender oil, would putting this in a oil burner type deal help with them around the house or does it need to be put directly on stuff??
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Yes, you use garlic that you would normally cook with. For the oils I don't know how effective a burner would be, but applying the oils to furniture, dog beds, etc can also help keep fleas at bay.

Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu May 10, 2012 12:28 am

The rose geranium oil is amazing! I just started using it and switched Ava's collar from the one with the oil on it. We pulled 3-4 ticks off her fur that day after a really quick walk, plus I found two crawling up my arm when I sat down in the house. Now I've got a reminder set so that I get the oil reapplied every week to whatever collar she is wearing and I haven't seen any ticks at all. We went to a park for a lot of walking today and I even put some on my socks to keep the ticks at bay. I'm just amazed that one drop can do so much. I don't have issues with fleas (knock on wood), but I might add lavender in next week just so I can mix up the smells some Razz
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:59 am

I'm so happy to hear your results have been so similar to mine! We had a real tick problem before switching to the oils, in fact that was what made me decide to try essential oils in the first place. Smile

Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu May 10, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks so much Val, I have the garlic, but it looks like I'm off to the store this afternoon to pick up one of everything else!
I'll let you know how it works for us! Smile
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative EmptyThu May 10, 2012 3:44 pm

I have two cats D: Can I really not use this stuff on my dogs' collars? Is it really THAT toxic to them?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative Empty

Back to top Go down

Natural Flea and Tick Preventative

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next