It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What flea preventative is best? HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:40 am

Huh, I wonder if my dog food has it... In either case, Advantix II gets my vote, I did happen to miss Diesel's dose for this month because I'm out of money until the 7th, still no fleas. It's supposed to kill them for 60 days, and ticks 30 days. I also love that it repels mosquitoes... more indirect heartworm prevention on top of the interceptor. Lol.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 am

Kiyonai wrote:
Huh, I wonder if my dog food has it... In either case, Advantix II gets my vote, I did happen to miss Diesel's dose for this month because I'm out of money until the 7th, still no fleas. It's supposed to kill them for 60 days, and ticks 30 days. I also love that it repels mosquitoes... more indirect heartworm prevention on top of the interceptor. Lol.

It's actually a good idea to rotate products so that the pests in your environment don't become immune. I only treat Kale during flea seasons, and I treat the yard with an IGR (insect growth regulator), as well as the house.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 am

Apple Cider Vinegar: I take it that is put in food? How much and how often?

Garlic: How much, style (powder/fresh/minced), often?

Thanks for your help.
I got the oils today except the store didn't have Rose Geranium oil.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:30 pm

ACV - I give 1 tbsp every other day to my adult 50 lb sibe, you could give it daily if you prefer.

Garlic - I give about 1/16th tsp every other day mixed with my adult sibe's food. Some people give garlic daily.

I personally alternate between ACV and garlic each day and it works for us. My dogs never have parasites and their bloodwork always comes back normal.

Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Awesome, thanks!! I am staring Cali on it and my sis in law his considering it for her dogs depending on how Cali does with it.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 pm

thanks for the holistic tips, Val! I'm so happy about that!

I have two of those oils already...def going to try that out!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:20 pm

No problem! I hope they work for others as well as they've worked for us.

Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Val, maybe you could start a holistic sticky thread? That would be fabulous!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Problem with that is with all the holistic things you can do it would span several different forums. That's primarily why I highly recommend taking pets to good holistic vets. When you find a good one, stick with them. Heck, I'm still managing to take my dogs to my old holistic vet in FL from before we moved to SC...6.5 hours away! Oh course for emergencies I have a local back up vet. Wink

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 1:42 am

I live in South Texas, where it is near impossible to keep ALL fleas off of my dogs. I have have discovered the wonderful use of lavender oil.

It is completely safe and natural. You just put it on their skin like the frontline once a week and it will repell all of the fleas. I don't know that they will get RID of the the current fleas, but it will stop them from hatching and repel all future fleas.

As for actual flea medication, I use Trifexus and it has worked wonderfully. I use the lavender oil as a back up but none of my dogs have fleas, and they have been around dogs that were infested with fleas and ticks (we rescued a pup).

Maybe that will help give you a natural option?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 am

Essential oils should not be applied directly to the skin to prevent drying and irritation. I recommend placing a drop on their harness, collar, and/or bedding as an alternative and it's just as effective without doing any harm to their skin.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 10:52 am

Thank for the info.. I have not had any issues with oils and I use various kinds but I will definitely take that into consideration.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks Valerie! My mom was gonna buy the flea collars to day, but I asked her to hold off cause I remembered this thread and asked her if she would try oils instead. She said yes! :]
Plus, I hate the smell of flea collars
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 5:12 pm

dahowlers wrote:
Thanks Valerie! My mom was gonna buy the flea collars to day, but I asked her to hold off cause I remembered this thread and asked her if she would try oils instead. She said yes! :]
Plus, I hate the smell of flea collars

That's great! I call my method a DIY flea collar anyway since the oils on the collar serve the same purpose. And this way you don't have to worry about not touching those chemical laiden flea collars either. Smile

Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Okay, so I am seeing a trend to many people using oils for flea and tick prevention. My questions would be, what brand are y'all using and where did y'all order it from? I use Amazon to order everything so that is where I would be getting it. Plus with us having to pay taxes on all stuff we buy on Amazon is going to put a damper on my purchases soon.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:29 pm

I got both my oils on Amazon. Cederwood is from Edens Gardens based in San Clemente, CA; Tea Tree is from PlantLife based in San Clemente, CA. I'm Californian so I like to buy locally Cool lol
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:17 pm

hypers987 wrote:
I got both my oils on Amazon. Cederwood is from Edens Gardens based in San Clemente, CA; Tea Tree is from PlantLife based in San Clemente, CA. I'm Californian so I like to buy locally Cool lol
I can understand that. But does the product from you local work well is all I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:44 pm

LillDragun wrote:
hypers987 wrote:
I can understand that. But does the product from you local work well is all I'm concerned.

Yes. It's pure.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:49 am

I don't worry about brand and my oils were ordered through Amazon vendors. The important thing is to look for 100% oil and not a blend.

Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

Since summer 2010 I've been using essential oils (Cedarwood oil for fleas & Rose Geranium oil for ticks), Apple cider vinegar, and garlic to prevent fleas and ticks and I've had excellent results. And I live in the south where those pests are a problem and our house backs to woods so that should give you an idea of how well it's working for us.

How do you use this to prevent fleas and ticks?
Back to top Go down
Annalyoung
Newborn
Newborn
Annalyoung

Female Join date : 2012-07-06

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 pm

I just wash them in dawn soap if they have ticks/fleas that way they die then i put Skin So Soft oil from avon on there fur. That has what i've been doing for all my cats and dogs for the past years and they haven't had anything get on them after the first dawn bath.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Juturna67 wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:

Since summer 2010 I've been using essential oils (Cedarwood oil for fleas & Rose Geranium oil for ticks), Apple cider vinegar, and garlic to prevent fleas and ticks and I've had excellent results. And I live in the south where those pests are a problem and our house backs to woods so that should give you an idea of how well it's working for us.

It's a holistic solution to a common problem. The oils repel fleas and ticks (and I have found they repel mosquitos too.) The ACV and garlic are ingested and then are secreted through the oils on the coat. Mosquitos and other pests do not like the smells.

It will not kill an infestation, but it will repel. If you have an infestation get some CapStar and diatomaceous earth (food grade). Sprinkle the DE in the carpets, floors, bedding and you can then vacuum it up. The capstar will help stop the infestation fast.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 am

Juturna67 wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:

I believe Val puts the oils on the dog's collars - right, Val?
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 1:57 am

I put the oil on Snow's collar. We also use a flea medication though. The heat is so intense here that the fleas are just ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:13 am

We use only the oils, not topicals. A drop of each on the collar 2x a week - the humidity in michigan can be really bad, so we like to do it twice a week to avoid fleas.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What flea preventative is best? HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next