It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What flea preventative is best? HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

What flea preventative is best? HELP! Empty
PostSubject: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:22 am

Our poor 5 month old huskey has a few fleas. Let's rewind.. a few months ago I had him around my friends dog. Her dog had fleas; I was completely unaware of this. So you can guess, he contracted the fleas. Apparently her dog was c ompletely INFESTED with fleas; like BAD! Sad We have had Dash on Frontline plus since he was 3 months old, via recommendation from his vet. We got him when he was 2 months and initially started him on a Adams brand from walmart (apparently a crappy brand.) Never the less, he contracted the fleas. The frontline was NOT working to kill them so I called the vet, they recommended a dose of capstar. It worked for the adult fleas on him. A week later they recommended another dose of capstar. I didn't want to pump my poor puppy with meds and chemicals, so we paid close attention to vacuum daily,bathe often and even tried tea-tree oil shampoo (which I read was ok...and am now reading can be toxic to dogs!) GREAT! Any light at the end of this tunnel?
We have now moved out of our apartment, as we are pcsing with the military. So he is out of that environment. The problem did get better but was never 100% resolved. I assumed we hadn't stopped the life cycle as we did not want to use chemicals in the house. So the problem persisted. Now that we are out of that apartment, he stayed in a VERY nice pet lodge in Tennessee for 10 days as we visited family who could not have pets at their apartment complex. I noticed a few days in he had a flea or two on him, which I removed. We are now staying at my parents house. I noticed a day ago he was scratching and biting his fur on his back. I checked him but didn't see any fleas. Tonight, the same biting and scratching. We bought a flea comb at the local pet store and went to work brushing his fur. I found 1 living flea and many spots of flea dirtt, which I put onto a wet soapy paper towel and noticed they turned red, determining they were indeed fleas/flea dirt.

OMG! So we are moving soon, pcsing with the military, and in order for him to fly and enter the state (Hawaii) he has to be treated with Frontline, which we have to purchase tomorrow for his helth certificate. Frontline is NOT WORKING but they require that one. I have been reading about K9 Advantix II, and definitely want to switch him. I wish I could find an all-natural route, but I hear the fleas and mosquitos are just awful in Hawaii, and want something that also prevents, not just kills the fleas, ticks, mosquitos, etc.

What do all of you use on your huskeys? Any and all help would be amazing and very appreciated!

Thanks,
nervous huskey mommy! lol
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:31 am

I've used First Shield on my 2 during the summer months. It says it kills the eggs and adults for fleas, ticks, lice and I think mosquitos. Ginger had head lice (for pets) when we just adopted her. These pet lice will die if they fall off their host, so it's a little different than fleas, but First Shield took care of her head lice real fast.

Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:33 am

AWW Sad We are definitely concerned about the fleas because we don't want him to have them, or be bothered by them. I know they are irritating him and his coat is getting longer and fluffier, I assumed because he is 1. growing and b. it's winter here. I heard comfortis is really good but has also caused many seizures in dogs. I do not want to use any chemical on him but fleas are frustrating. Sad
Back to top Go down
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:35 am

I also meant to add that because his coat is getting longer, it's ALOT harder to find the fleas on him than it was before. Also with the flea comb, he acts like anytime I pul back his fur, or use the comb, he is bothered by it. We could pet him and scratch his belly all day but once he knows I am "looking" at his skin, he starts to nip at me or roll over and run away. lol...like he doesn't want me to rid him of his pesky little friends.
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:37 am

The capstar has been the only thing that has worked for Keimo. Frontline works great on my dad's golden retriever.... doesn't do a darn thing for Keimo. I think it's because his coat is too thick. Unless I am mistaken, it is supposed to soak through the skin and get into the bloodstream, then when pests bite, it kills them.If it can't get to the skin, it can't get into the bloodstream. I'll be interested to see what others recommend, but I'd be willing to bet that none of the topical meds will help much on a husky.
Back to top Go down
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 am

Well the capstar they say can be given daily but I'd rather he be on a long-term preventative, ya know? It's all very frustrating and I ended up feeling a little resentful toward my friend because she had told me the dog didn't have fleas any longer and I wasn't that educated about fleas, as this is our first dog. Now I just feel upset for Dash because it seems like the problem is still lingering. Sad
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 3:07 am

Don't be too upset with your friend.... she probably thought they were gone. Sometimes the little boogers are hard to spot. I agree with you about the long term thing, but it hasn't worked for us. Unfortunately, we usually have to wait until the signs are there then give the meds. :-(
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 4:15 am

I use advantage on Kale during the spring and fall when the fleas are at their worst, during the winter I use Confortis or Sentinel, depending on how much he's scratching. Haven't had a problem. I use Advantage and Sentinel on my Doxie, and Advantage Multi on my cats. We also spray our yard and house with an IGR (insect growth regulator). It's called Nylar and it's non-toxic and safe around pets.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 4:20 am

We use revolution. It's great for fleas, ticks, and heart worm too!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 4:48 am

I've been using the advantage II. I've had a few problems with Indy and fleas (he had flea bite dermatitis and will react to the slightest contact of a flea) and they were very hard to get rid of! I had to stop taking him over to my friend's house as his weekly play date with her dog because that's where he was getting them from. I tried Frontline and Capstar and Comfortis but none of them worked until I was using Advantage II. I had been using Advantage on my other husky and I never saw one flea or egg or tick.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:17 am

Comfortis works for us. Frontline stopped working months ago. Advantix worked but burned through the finish on our hardwood floors when hubby applied it wrong (ugh!) - so I thought twice about putting it back on them. Revolution blows - it's so hard to apply perfectly with thick husky fur, and even when I did they BOTH got fleas!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:24 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Comfortis works for us. Frontline stopped working months ago. Advantix worked but burned through the finish on our hardwood floors when hubby applied it wrong (ugh!) - so I thought twice about putting it back on them. Revolution blows - it's so hard to apply perfectly with thick husky fur, and even when I did they BOTH got fleas!

Yea I'm not a fan of revolution either... works great for cats but not so much for dogs in my personal experience.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:11 am

Been using Advantix seems for ever. Had a huge flea problem way back in the late 80's, vet prescribed I think it was just Advantage then but never had a flea on any of my Sibs since then. Hate the price but I guess I hate fleas even more.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:48 am

I use comfortis . The first time I gave it Neo acted drunk for a bit, but no problems since. And it works!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Well, there is no "best" flea preventative. Different products work better or worse for varying individuals and locations.

I don't use chemical flea/tick preventatives anymore because I don't like giving them poison every month if I can help it...not to mention all the health problems that monthly dose of poison can cause down the road with short or long term use. Having said that though, before I put my dogs on a holistic track I used Advantix for a long time and was very happy with it. Revolution didn't do squat for fleas and for a number of reasons I don't ever recommend Revolution. I did have an incident with ticks in the summer of 2010 where Advantix didn't work. That's when I decided to research a safer, more natural alternative.

Since summer 2010 I've been using essential oils (Cedarwood oil for fleas & Rose Geranium oil for ticks), Apple cider vinegar, and garlic to prevent fleas and ticks and I've had excellent results. And I live in the south where those pests are a problem and our house backs to woods so that should give you an idea of how well it's working for us.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Val- I have a question about the essential oils... How often do you apply them? And where? I tried that for about a month but it seems to really have no effect..? Or maybe i'm just doing it wrong... I don't want to use topicals but the ticks/fleas are so bad here this year I just don't know what to do.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:35 am

Kristina, I put one drop of each on their collars once a week normally. In the summer I sometimes put a second drop on their harnesses that we use for walking.

My mother in law lives in Orlando, FL and she's been having a bad time with fleas this year. She started using the oils I suggested on her dogs a few weeks ago. She uses more oils than I do and she applies hers a little more frequently than I do but so far her dogs have been flea free since she started the oils. I only use Cedarwood oil for fleas, but she uses all 3 that I recommended (Cedarwood, Lavender, and Tea tree oil). I'm not sure how many times a week she does hers but I know she does it more than once a week like I do.

Newborn
Newborn
Chaos&Storm

Male Join date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Chaos and Storm both had a run in with fleas about 2 months ago. Our vet gave us Capstar, this kills any fleas on them within minutes and lasts about 24 hours, after that Frontline was given in one spot between their shoulders. This took care of their problem. The Capstar works great but it is not a flea preventer, just gets rid of whats on the dogs.
Back to top Go down
rbrent
Newborn
Newborn
rbrent

Male Join date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:06 am

Val Where do you get these oils? Also you do not put this oil on the coats just the collars and harnesses? Wonder how it works since the legs and underbelly would be the first place the fleas and ticks would attach them selfs. Just asking. Cuz I would love to not put any posion on my new pups. I have used Advantix on my Rottwieler and Mixed breed and had great results with it.
Back to top Go down
rbrent
Newborn
Newborn
rbrent

Male Join date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:09 am

Chaos & Storm What part of Michigan do you live in? Just wondering I Live in Westland!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 11:04 am

rbrent wrote:
Val Where do you get these oils? Also you do not put this oil on the coats just the collars and harnesses? Wonder how it works since the legs and underbelly would be the first place the fleas and ticks would attach them selfs. Just asking. Cuz I would love to not put any posion on my new pups. I have used Advantix on my Rottwieler and Mixed breed and had great results with it.

I buy my oils online at Amazon, they're cheap and last a long time. You don't put it on the dog directly because the oils can irritate the skin. I believe it's the smell that repels the pests. All I know is it works for my dog's living near woods behind our house in the south where these pests are a real problem.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 6:35 am

I just wanted to put my 0.2c in, I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if I repeat anything. Bath him, comb as many out as posible and CRUSH the fleas as you take them out of the fur. They can swim and will come back up the plug hole! Use a flea shampoo if possible or some dog groomers do flea bath treatments.
I would use... Programme it's a pill you can get from the vet that makes the female flea infertile! That way if any do hatch, when they die the eggs will not hatch out!
I use advocate to kill the adult ones, I'm sorry but I don't rate frontline, it's been so over used the fleas have become imune to it! I also use another wormer every 3 months. I used to have a flea issue but since I moved house, I've never had one since. I dont' flea mine in the winter months, I start in Febuary (however I started early this year as my dogs are going to be kenneled for 2 nights in the middle of feb).
Casper pills work too, they make the fleas fall off the dog.
Hope that helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Lyrril wrote:
Casper pills work too, they make the fleas fall off the dog.

Do you mean Capstar? Smile That product is amazing! lol
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:33 am

I've read that garlic can be toxic to dogs, I know its on the ASPCA's poison list. I use Advantix II and I love it. I live out in East Texas with plenty of trees around, with a total of 7 (yes 7) dogs on the property (not including mine). (I live with my boyfriend's family, they have over the years aquired dogs from other family members for the most part, 2 came from his grandmother that passed, 3 came from his aunt, one was a pup they had and kept, 1 was a shelter adoption) They don't always get the flea preventative they need(mine does), but I've NEVER had an issue with fleas or ticks on Diesel(And he stays outside during the day). As with starting any kind of new flea medicine though I do recommend keeping an extreme eye on your dog for 48 hours....
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:36 am

Kiyonai wrote:
I've read that garlic can be toxic to dogs, I know its on the ASPCA's poison list.

Garlic in high quantities can be toxic, but in smaller quantities is fine. It's actually in a lot of dog foods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What flea preventative is best? HELP!   What flea preventative is best? HELP! Empty

Back to top Go down

What flea preventative is best? HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next