It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash Empty
PostSubject: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:21 pm

I need to get yet ANOTHER pair of leashes for Mya and Kody. Ridiculous how much $ I spent on them. Anyways, that's besides the point.

I know that Heather mentioned the Knot-a-Leash in another thread and I love the fact that it has a locking mechanism VS a standard clip

http://www.ruffwear.com/Knot-a-Leash_3?sc=2&category=15

While looking into the Knot-a-Leash I ran into the Flat Out leash. That was is awesome too because it has the option to be worn around the waist! As a lot of you know that might be a good idea with my 2 crazy dogs and running into strays (ughh!).

http://www.ruffwear.com/Flat-Out-Leash_6?sc=2&category=15

It doesn't have the locking mechanism though Sad

In your opinions do you think that the the clip on the Flat Out in secure?

I'm trying to think what would work best for us because hubby will kick my a$$ if I spend another $60 on leashes and then I'm not happy...lol.

HELP!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:29 pm

To be honest, in my opinion at least, a belt leash is not a good idea for someone who has issues with keeping their dogs in check because it's a lot harder to gain control if something caused them to go crazy even though it does provide free hands. It'd be harder to secure your steps or try to keep your feet planted in one spot. I have the flat out leash too and Koda 99.999999999% of the time is an angel walking, but once when I was walking both Rogue and him and had him on the flat out and for whatever reason he saw someone with a metal detector and freaked out(odd, I know..) it SUCKED trying to gain control. While there is that loop at the end near the clasp, if your dog has the leash stretched out it's not that easy to grab. When this happened is when I was still wearing my boot and also walking Rogue, and after that instance I put Rogue on the flat out leash and Koda on the knot leash.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:37 pm

I personally would go for the Flat Out leash but that's a personal preference. Hubby got me one just like the Flat Out leash (different brand though, can't remember the name now) that you can walk them normally or use it as a hands free with a standard clip at the end. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Of course the Knot-a-Leash does have a more secure clip so it may come down to what's more important to you. On a different lead (not my hands free) I have had a standard clip open and unclip from his harness ONCE in the past when he was rolling in the grass. Luckily my boy has pretty reliable recall so I was able to keep him in place to re-clip the lead to his harness. I've never had that happen again but I know it's possible.

I think with the Flat Out you at least retain the option to use it as a hands free if you want like when you need an extra hand to stop and pick up poop or something. Just my two cents.

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 pm

But you don't have issues with Dakota on leash Val, right? (Though I don't know if you plan to walk them separate Mel or if Mya is calm on leash during walks with Kody)
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:46 pm

I would be walking them together. They're not too bad (as far as pulling) once we've left the house and have been walking for a few minutes. The only reason that I would really use the hands free version is to have a hand to pick up their poop or if (knocking on wood) we run across a loose dog and I need a hand. Then again I probably wouldn't have time to size it, put it on, and deal with the loose dog within 5 seconds..LOL!!!

When using the flat out leash (not hands free) is it comfortable to hold? Or wrap around your hand if you need to get them closer to you? How secure would you say that clip is?

Decisions decisions!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
But you don't have issues with Dakota on leash Val, right? (Though I don't know if you plan to walk them separate Mel or if Mya is calm on leash during walks with Kody)

Yes, Dakota is a dream to walk on lead (thanks to LOTS of patience and training in the beginning).

Even with pullers I would still choose the Flat-Out. You're not required to use it as a hands free, you can use it as a regular lead but you'd at least still have the option to use it as a hands free if necessary and in the future when one or both are walking nicely on lead.

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:10 pm

It's just as comfortable and your average leash and you could always put one of those little cushions people put on dog harnesses on the handle if it's rough on you. As for the clip, it's more secure than most brand's dog clasps, it's not crappy plastic and shuts nicely.

And duh.. sort of forgot the option of using it as a regular leash and not as a belt, lol.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Melissa, can you go to a pet store the carries them and just check them out to see what feels the best?

i think i have something like the flat out that was their older version for sierra and instead of a clip at the top it has a slide with the fleece liner, the liner makes my hands sweat. but i like the double up on the bottom to hold her for when things get scary. the clip still looks heavy duty, mine has the carabiner on it. how long is the leash?

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 pm

It's 6ft Jenn.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:50 pm

jbealer wrote:
Melissa, can you go to a pet store the carries them and just check them out to see what feels the best?

i think i have something like the flat out that was their older version for sierra and instead of a clip at the top it has a slide with the fleece liner, the liner makes my hands sweat. but i like the double up on the bottom to hold her for when things get scary. the clip still looks heavy duty, mine has the carabiner on it. how long is the leash?

I've searched all of the pet stores near me that I can think of and I don't think any of them carry Ruff Wear Mad The clip does safer than a standard plastic one!

Yep, it's 6feet.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:57 pm

have you looked on the RW site for stores near you? i found all the fancy "mom and pop" pet stores here carry them and REI/ outdoor stores

sorry you have 2 in Orlando!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Ughhh, yes, and no luck! There's no RW or REI stores near me. I tried the small pet stores also and nothing. NOT COOL!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 pm

i say the flat out has more uses. the only thing i will say is after 8 months and jack getting hes mouth on sierras leash it has some cuts and frays from his teeth. the knot might hold up better if they like to chew on the leashes.

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:15 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Ughhh, yes, and no luck! There's no RW or REI stores near me. I tried the small pet stores also and nothing. NOT COOL!

That's insane, like Jenn said almost every mom and pop store at least has leashes and collars by them!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:21 pm

MelissaI wrote:

Don't have any out in Cali either, at least not here in the valley. Mad

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm

To me it's easier to control a dog with the knot a leash, but the flat out is more flexible and has multiple uses.. so whichever is more of your ideal leash!

I personally love my knot a leash more. I can't wait to get one for Rogue, just wish the coupler had the same security!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:40 pm

I have something very similar to the flat out leash and we hardly ever use it for walks. The only time I use it is when we're going to go somewhere and I want to tie Ginger to a tree or post.

I think our next set of leashes will be the knot a leash...

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:42 pm

That's useful too! You can made them small or big enough to fit around trees/poles. The one thing I DID use it a lot for was running with Koda.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Heather, what size of the knot a leash do you have? I know that they're both the same length (5 ft), but the small is 7mm in diameter and the large 10mm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 pm

I have the large Smile
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:04 pm

I just placed the order for the Knot-a-Leash! They should be here by Friday! I'm in desperate need of new leashes so paid the extra $15 for FedEx 2day (that definitely hurt!). The EZDog Cujo leashes that I purchased a few months back kinda suck for walking both dogs together since I can't really wrap the leash around my handle to bring them closer when need be. With just one it's awesome! Then our standard leashes that I had gone back to using I think have the potential of un-clipping Shocked I always mess around it with the clip and triple check it before leaving the house and yesterday I was able to unsnap it from Kody. I secured it again and took them on their walk, but there is no way I'm taking that chance!!!
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 pm

I USually Tie Both Mine around me .. But Decided not to Last Week Jus a 4ft n a 6' leash and Their 91 Lbs added togther Drug My 140 Lbs ass thru Thr Cornfield the Other day .. After ............................ A red Fox .. hahhahaha They Almost got it ! .. If I Would Had em On waist I Woulda have never went down LOL
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Muddy~Mira wrote:
I USually Tie Both Mine around me .. But Decided not to Last Week Jus a 4ft n a 6' leash and Their 91 Lbs added togther Drug My 140 Lbs ass thru Thr Cornfield the Other day .. After ............................ A red Fox .. hahhahaha They Almost got it ! .. If I Would Had em On waist I Woulda have never went down LOL

I got 140 lbs of pure husky pulling power over my 145 lb frame...with sneakers on grass = no traction...guess what happened on Sunday when they spotted a bunny before I did....nuff said. Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash 1625187496

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Awww Claudia ! Hope Ur Legs aint all Bruised up ! Mine were LOl Silly Huskys!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 11:54 pm

legs are ok...it was my neck and pecs on my right since that's the arm i was holding on to the leashes. i would've let go, but i was on the big median on one of the main streets into my neighborhood and the bunny was at curb side!!

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash   Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash Empty

Back to top Go down

Ruff Wear Leash - Flat Out OR Knot-a-Leash

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next