It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 6:26 pm

As I sit here doing my daily research on this topic I keep coming back to a thought. If in fact Balon has ectopic ureter why does he seem to have days where he pees all over the place, and then days like today where he hasn't had one accident? Given all the variables and constants are basically the same day to day, it just doesn't make sense. If in fact he has pipes that aren't connected properly, they can't just work one day and not work the next. It just doesn't make sense. (by no means am I saying there isn't a problem, there most definitely is, I'm just not so sure this is the problem)

I am making a chart that I will keep for the next 7 days. I am going to measure water intake (should be fun since I have two dogs), amount of times he is taken out per day, and how many if any accidents he has a day. Would love to measure urine output as well but don't think that is feasible Very Happy I think I will also watch the color of the urine throughout the day.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
As I sit here doing my daily research on this topic I keep coming back to a thought. If in fact Balon has ectopic ureter why does he seem to have days where he pees all over the place, and then days like today where he hasn't had one accident? Given all the variables and constants are basically the same day to day, it just doesn't make sense. If in fact he has pipes that aren't connected properly, they can't just work one day and not work the next. It just doesn't make sense. (by no means am I saying there isn't a problem, there most definitely is, I'm just not so sure this is the problem)

I am making a chart that I will keep for the next 7 days. I am going to measure water intake (should be fun since I have two dogs), amount of times he is taken out per day, and how many if any accidents he has a day. Would love to measure urine output as well but don't think that is feasible Very Happy I think I will also watch the color of the urine throughout the day.

Your vet will greatly appreciate your thoroughness! That's a great idea!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Given all the variables and constants are basically the same day to day, it just doesn't make sense. If in fact he has pipes that aren't connected properly, they can't just work one day and not work the next.
Granted, I don't think he has ectopic ureter either; however, I don't think that is necessarily true. This is just me thinking out loud here, but although ectopic ureter may not cause the inconsistency in peeing, being a puppy surely can. He can be better potty trained one day and regress the next because he's five months old.

For what it's worth, I don't feel like this issue is a black or white, one problem or the other.

I also agree that I think the copious notes will be very useful. Smile

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 Hailey10

Last edited by Koda on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 pm

June, I think it's great that you are bring thorough - but up until Caot his 6 months he would still go back and forth with Potty Training - I don't know if he just decided he felt like peeing or couldn't control it - but he made mistakes quite often. Now, it's my fault if he doesn't get out. Once he hit 7 months, it was totally different. Being a puppy has a lot to do with it...a whole lot!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:48 pm

Agreed Megan it's why I'm not totally convinced he has ectopic ureter !
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Just saw your post Tori and this is why I made my chart with so many people taking him out here by charting everything I will have a much better idea where we may be going wrong -- or if not then I will have something to show the vet which may help her as well! He is almost 6 months still a baby I know!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 pm

I called Balon's vet today to see if any preliminary reports have come back regarding his urine culture. The tech told me that they got one report confirming his sample was "plated" and a second report saying that they had isolated something in his urine that they are now growing out! The tech told me that this usually means an infection of some sort. I am cautiously optimistic that this will mean we don't have a case of EU. I should know by Wednesday.

I will say that since being on the antibiotic since Friday Balon has had only one accident, that was this am in his crate. He was in his crate from 7:40 am (when I leave for work) until 11:41 am when my son got up, it was a very small accident compared to those he was having before. My guess is he got too excited when he knew my son was up and couldn't hold it, like I said it was a small amount and when he was taken out he went more! But he has not had any accident besides that.

However it should be noted that he being taken out out every 1 to 1 1/2 hours, he doesn't always go, but the chance to go is there. I have kept my chart and it is helping everyone stick to the schedule.

I know many of you have kept us in your thoughts and I so appreciate that, I will let you know when all the results are in, until then keep your fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Fingers and paws crossed here. I so hope it is just an infection. At least that can be cured!
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Fingers and paws crossed.
Back to top Go down
Dark-Krystal
Newborn
Newborn
Dark-Krystal

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 6:54 am

Hope you find out what is wrong with balon,wishing the best for you :-)

I know what its like when you have something wrong with your dog and you can't find out what the problem is,and i understand the frustration when your furbabie is not well or sick or injured and their is nothing you can do but wait for results from various test's,while trying to do your own research to help matters.

I went through this with my first Siberian Mishka,( rest in peace my baby), but the difference is it took 18 months and 4 different vets to find out she had Immune Mediated Polyathritis,and all it took was a member of a forum i used to read took the time to read what i was saying about symptoms and we went from there,it also took a vet to actually listen to what a forum member had found and to take that on board too...

So i am really hoping balon's problem is resolved as quick as possible and before you know it he will be peeing on the grass :-) Good luck :-)
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:43 am

As promised I am here to report those results we have so far. I just got back from the vet as I had to take my lab to get her nails cut (all dark nails lol). While I was there the vet came out to tell me Balon's results. Something did grow in the culture, albeit very small numbers. It was an infection that my vet said she rarely sees. Given that Balon has responded so fantastically to the antibiotic, (having only one accident in the house since last Friday) she wants to do another week round of the antibiotic to be sure it is all killed. Apparently the lab says these cells are somewhat resistant to antibiotics so we want to be sure we get it all! She is going to call the lab today to get more on this and will call me later if anything changes. She feels confident that even though the numbers grown were small, that this was probably the reason he was peeing everywhere.

My chart came in very handy, as I mentioned so many people take the dogs out around here (there are 5 of us and all are hands-on lol) it is hard to know how often he went out. So the chart makes everyone more aware how long its been! I gave the vet a copy and she was so impressed that we did that lol. Right now I take him out about every 1 1/2-2 hours and he is doing well, he doesn't always go, but the opportunity is there, he is even beginning to use the bells again to let us know WOOHOO!!!!.

It is very unlikely now that EU is the problem, it isn't something that can be fixed with an antibiotic or even by taking the dog out more, dogs with EU will constantly drip urine as there is no where for it to be held. I am not upset that my first vet mentioned it because it sent me to research it, and if that research ever helps someone else, it was very worth it!

I thank you all for your support, Balon does too! If anyone ever wants my research on EU scroll up to see the links, and I have many more. If anything regarding this changes, I will certainly let you all know.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:46 am

Glad to hear that Balon is doing better Smile Those pesky infections can be hard to find sometimes!

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the update!
I'm relieved to hear that he is on the mend!!!

Thank you for all the information you've posted on EU as well!

Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:24 pm

So very glad to hear that Balon is on the mend.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm glad Balon is doing better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:25 pm

wahoo!! glad everything is going well with balon! I wish sometimes they could just speak to us and tell us whats wrong!!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 7:04 pm

so you can see how big he has gotten at 6 months.....

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 Balonl10
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 pm

He is stunning!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Thank you in that pic he was caught chewing the broom lol
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 pm

He's beautiful! I love how he's chewing the broom lol. Lycus loves to secretly chew on brooms too!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:22 am

Balon looks so handsome now! Glad you finally got an answer from your vet!
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:33 am

Glad he is on the mend. He is very handsome.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 9:41 am

aww thanks you guys, he is pretty awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4