It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS Empty
PostSubject: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Ok I know you have all read the posts regarding Balon peeing in his crate and sometimes in the house. The crate situation has been improved because we are getting up in the middle of the night to take him out. But today he has had 8 accidents in the house, I have been taking him out every 30 to 45 minutes!!!! Most of the accidents are while he is walking and a lot are sort of circular! Some have more pee and some are just little drips.

He was tested for UTI several weeks ago which was negative.

I am calling the vet tomorrow to see if there are any tests to be done because honestly I can't take much more of this. It is just insane. He doesn't EVER tell us he needs to go out, and literally just pees wherever and whenever he wants to. I just don't get it! I bought bells, I thought he was going to use them and just stopped.

I mean he has ruined my family room carpet (ok he has helped lol) my house smells like a mixture of pee and vinegar and honestly I really am at the end of my rope with this.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is wrong with this puppy? I have NEVER had a dog like this before. Is there some disease that could cause this. Like I said I am calling the vet tomorrow!

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any and all advice again! WE love him and just want to help him!

Last edited by Balonsmom on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Not sure if I remember this correctly, but I believe Jennet's Embry had a peeing issue a few months ago and his urinalysis didn't show a UTI, but they gave him the mess anyways and it went away. Worth a shot. Jennet can give you the accurate story, haha.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Yeah I am calling my vet, unfortunately they are the type that will want to run every expensive test in the country lol, but I need it to stop so......
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Did they do a urine culture? or just a stick/sediment? that's something to ask when you call. If they didn't do a culture then they couldn't have possible ruled out a UTI.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Yes they did a culture and nothing grew!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 12:20 am

Have you talked to your vet about incontinence? It's much more common in females, but males can have it too. That would be my next guess. If he's peeing and not realizing it, there's a medical issue somewhere.

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 5:33 am

Sorry just saw this!

Heather's right. Embry always has had bladder problems. Last incident he had though was a few months ago, UTI test came back negative but there were crystals so they were afraid of stones so we did X-rays. They came back negative for anything also. We put him on an antibiotic and cranberry supplements and we haven't had issues since.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 am

No Tori but I am going to today! I am dropping off another urine sample because I know that will be what they want first.

When he pees he knows he is doing it, if I catch him and yell No, he gives me this guilty look, he just walks around and pees! He never pees while he is sleeping, at least not that I can catch. Its almost like marking, like he sprinkles and weirdly its almost always a circle, like he does it all around the dining room table. Now in the crate in can be more, but that has pretty much stopped now that we are getting him up in the middle of the night.

Anyway thanks guys, its just so frustrating! I'm going to call the vet when I get off work today. I'll keep you guys informed.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 7:53 am

in doing research I came across this, gosh I hope this is not what is wrong

"Young
animals may have a birth defect
causing incontinence. The most
common birth defect that causes
incontinence in young dogs is
ectopic ureter(s). The ureters carry
urine from the kidneys to the
bladder. If one or both ureters
by-pass the bladder and connect to
an abnormal location such as the
urethra or vagina, the puppy may
drip urine. Siberian Huskies
are most often affected."

Article goes on to say this can happen in both male and female dogs! And it says that most often the situation cannot be helped by medication or surgery! I'm contacting his breeder to see if any other pups are having this problem.

However, Balon does not really just drip urine, it is more then dripping most of the time!

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:18 am

Balonsmom wrote:
When he pees he knows he is doing it, if I catch him and yell No, he gives me this guilty look, he just walks around and pees!
What makes you so certain that guilty look is because "he knows he's doing something wrong" and not because you're yelling at him? I think you need to be careful projecting emotions and a heightened sense of awareness on him. If I yell at Hailey for no reason at all, she cowers and gets that "guilty look" even though she's done nothing wrong. She's doing it just because I'm yelling and she knows that voice means nothing good is coming.

I would really look at the situation. Most dogs, ESPECIALLY males, don't walk around and pee. They either lift their leg or squat. I would think he actually doesn't know that he's doing it and that would actually explain a lot to me.

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:52 am

Tori you are right of course I don't know for sure that he knows. I shouldn't have said I yell I just say Balon no! He does not always lift his leg and never in the house but he is only just under 6 months! I dropped off a urine sample this am and I will Go from there. Balon is a much loved member of the family and I just want to gel him. I adore this dog!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:55 am

I mean I just want to get him straightened out! Sorry on my phone and it makes it hard to type lol!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 10:38 am

I didn't mean that it was bad that you "yell"... and I'm sure when you say "No!" it's loud and intimidating. It should be. And that's what we all do. That wasn't my point.

My point is that dogs react to US, not what they've done. He's likely not reacting because he knew he did something wrong. He's reacting because you're correcting him (as you should).

Put it this way... there are times when I come home and Hailey cowers without me saying a word. I haven't had time to react to anything because I've just walked through the door. I know what that means. Something is destroyed. THAT'S how I know she knows that she did something wrong. Does Balon do that? Does he cower and give you that "guilty" look before you see him do it? Before you scold him? If not, he is almost definitely reacting to what you are saying and not what he is doing. Does that make sense?

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 am

Sorry your dealing with this, I'm not sure but has balon been fixed yet? Hope the sample you droped off gives them some clues. Keep us posted.

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:04 am

I was at the vet yesterday and a man was picking up his what looked to be 5-7 month old pup. When the dog greeted the man he had his tail between his legs and sprinkled a little bit. Sometimes dog's pee from excitement, fear, just can't hold it, or many other reasons. Nicky will be 5 month's at the end of the month and is still having accidents. Granted, not as many as you describe, but they still occur.

What Tori mentioned is very much true! If I yell at Nicky, she will start this cry/howling thing. At first, I thought it was because she knew she did something wrong. Then, I tested her to see if she still did it even when she did nothing wrong and I got the same reaction. She even does it when I yell at Hayden and I'm not even directing it towards her lol. Dog's just don't like that "omg she's really pissed" voice.

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but we also had a really really hard time house breaking Hayden! It wasn't until he was almost 8 month's old until he finally got "hey, I'm suppose to pee outside". So, what I would do if I were you, is some how block Balon from going into you're family room if that's where he pee's most. Tethering him wouldn't be a bad idea either. That way you can correct him right away if he has an accident. I started that with Hayden and it worked great. It is a pain, but they catch on pretty quick.

I hope that all turns out well at the vet and you get a clear bill of health.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Yes Balon was neutered a few weeks ago. Saying no loudly probably but I really don't yell im a pretty quiet person lol. I don't think it's submissive he isn't peeing with excitement or being scared he's already done it when told no. I will wait to see what the culture says and let you guys know!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 1:50 pm

could he have an infection from the neuter? i hope you can get some answers soon, but maybe try to keep him in areas where clean up would be super easy?

Puppy
Puppy
nash

Male Join date : 2012-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Hello!
Dalton did the "walk and pee" for a while also. He was super difficult to potty train, and really wasn't completely trained until he was about 6 1/2 months. Eventually he grew out of it, but it sounds like you have it worse! I hope you are able to get it resolved soon.

When you take him out, do you ring the bells and say "lets go potty" (or whatever words you use)? It took a lot of convincing to get Dalton to use them, and even now at 11 months, he usually only uses them if he really needs to go, and were not by the door.

I may have missed it in your previous post, if so I apologize, but have you tried using Natures Miracle or a similar product where he's peed? That was the only thing that would get the smell out for us. They also have pet specific carpet cleaning soap, that and the natures miracle saved our rugs!

Anyway, good luck. I hope that the vet has some answers for you!

Back to top Go down
http://www.toocutetokill.blogspot.com
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Saying no loudly probably but I really don't yell im a pretty quiet person lol.
You're really missing the point here.

It doesn't matter how loudly or softly you scold him... the fact of the matter is you're scolding him and he knows it. I'm not saying this is your fault, please hear me. I'm saying he's likely not reacting "guilty" because "he knows he did wrong." He's reacting that way because you're scolding him and he knows that tone of voice means he did something bad.

My entire point is that I don't think he knows he's peeing. Not from what you describe and I think if the vet doesn't know that, it's a HUGE indicator of something medically wrong instead of behaviorally wrong. Don't do your dog a disservice by attributing emotions to him that he doesn't have.

Does that make more sense? This isn't a "you're correcting him wrong so he's cowering," argument. I'm saying that he doesn't know he's doing it. I don't think he knows what he did wrong, simply that you're upset about something which is why he looks guilty.

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Tori, I am not missing your point, I already addressed your point by saying in my earlier post that of course I don't really know if he knows what he's doing, and of course you could be right, he may not know what he is doing. I mean they can't tell us or talk to us about it. I do understand that he may be reacting to my displeasure, makes perfect sense! Ruby does!

Jennifer, his suture area looks really good and clean, I would be surprised if there was an infection, no redness or swelling, and no drainage, but I sure will have it looked at! Never know!

Dalton, I have switched to vinegar to clean where he pees on a recomendation of someone on this board, have used Natures Miracle in the past too. Yes everytime we go out (which is a lot) we ring the bells. At first he started to nose them, but then just stopped. We still ring before we go out.

Kelly, he isn't a submissive dog, in fact here he is def the alpha lol. He never pees when we greet him or anyone else, or another dog. He doesn't pee when excited. There isn't a rhyme or reason to when he does it, its kind of a walk and pee thing like Dalton said, and sometimes he goes around my dining room table on my hardwood floor, thank god we are getting that refinished anyway Very Happy we did try the tethering thing and it really didn't help much, but I was already thinking of trying that again.

Somedays he is better somedays worse, I have no idea why. I complained about it to my vet when he was neutered. She just kinda shook her head and said "Siberians" lol, she said they are so stubborn to potty train??? The other thing she did mention was the fact that sometimes the "plumbing" isn't hooked up correctly and can cause incontinence. I have talked to the breeder she has only kept in contact with 2 other puppies who are both housebroken and fine.

I really thank you all for trying to help, like I said I will do whatever I have to do to find out and correct whatever is wrong. We love him, and whatever test medicine, even surgery if necessary he will get. I will get the results of the urine culture tomorrow am, I am hoping for an infection lol, not really but you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:12 pm

When he urinates in the house, how long has it been since he went out? Honestly I am convinced this is medical just from what i've read.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm

I believe it may be as well, the length can vary. And like I said somedays he hardly does it at all! Last night was really bad. I took him out and he peed on the floor 10 minutes later!

When I get the results tomorrow I will make the appt to see the vet!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Tori, I am not missing your point, I already addressed your point by saying in my earlier post that of course I don't really know if he knows what he's doing, and of course you could be right, he may not know what he is doing. I mean they can't tell us or talk to us about it. I do understand that he may be reacting to my displeasure, makes perfect sense! Ruby does!
Fair enough. It just didn't seem like you understood what I was saying since you kept responding about you not yelling. Wink

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Does Balon drink a lot of water?
Does his urine look diluted? Or is it yellow?
Does Balon pee a lot all at once and then goes to pee a little bit within a short period of time he seemed to have peed out his bladder?

Just trying to get more details...in hopes some little detail might trigger something else in another member's experience...

Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 5:26 pm

He used to drink a ton when he was little he hasn't done that in a long time. His Urine starts out yellow but later is pretty clear! I feel like when I take him out he has a strong stream most of the time but he is taken out frequently so sometimes it is less! When he pees inside soon after normally it is sprinkles and drips sometimes it is more though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS Empty

Back to top Go down

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next