It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 8:26 pm

I have not felt like you were being offensive, or rude or any of the above. If I had I wouldn't have responded at all. I believe that email and text and forum typing is hard to read. Have I been defensive, well by answering things people say, yep it could look that way I suppose. I will admit that I felt things were being attributed to me that I did not say, is that being defensive? I suppose so, But again I believe it was misunderstanding on both parts. Yes certainly the quote you referenced could have been better stated. I need to learn to reread what I type. I am sure if we were face to face this conversation would have gone better.

Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 8:35 pm

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1532-950X.1991.tb00315.x/abstract

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1984.tb03422.x/abstract

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1982.tb01658.x/abstract

Here are few articles that may be related to what is happening with Balon. Usually the articles available on this site are a little older but they are usually free to read. They maybe a bit heavy on the science for the average person but are a better source then normal websites and magazines. They do seem to indicate Siberians for there sample size seem to have a higher occurrence then other breeds. That may be what you vet was discussing. I hope that it is a fixable issue for him. My thoughts are with you both.

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Thank you so much I really appreciate it and I will certainly read them, I am a science geek so I should be fine lol.

Apparently there is a surgery but indications from my vet are that she would not recommend it, she said from her research it isn't usually fixable.

Thanks for the thoughts we sure can use them Katie!

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:05 pm

I certainly agree that a face to face talk would have been beneficial for us both to help to understand what the other is trying to explain/mean. Smile

I know I am awful at trying to convey what I truly am trying to say over text. It's extremely difficult sometimes.

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:07 pm

lol it certainly is!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Honestly June, I would get a second opinion. I don't doubt that your vet is great, but I truly believe in this case, you may find different results from another vet. IMO, you should try out a holistic vet. I am a huge advocate for holistic vets and I have found it makes a world of difference with my dogs.

Have you tried a cranberry supplement, for the time being?

Also, what book is that from? I hate to say this, but the majority of veterinary textbooks spread all kinds of misinformation - thanks to the fact that LARGE pharmaceutical companies provide and publish them. One of the largest veterinary guides in the U.S. is publish by Merial - yeah, the makers of frontline, no wonder they want you to use their stuff!!

Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Second opinion is always an option for sure-- I will wait for results on the culture, if that is negative, I will do the dye study, because no matter what vet--it is the only way to tell whether EU is the problem or not. His symptoms seem to point to it though. It's funny my neighbor is a vet tech, she called her vet and he agreed that he would recommend the dye study next. I have not tried a cranberry supplement, but will ask it about tomorrow, I would do anything, buy anything that would help him! This has all been so upsetting. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Don't get upset, you will find the reasoning eventually - just do the best you can. Cranberry helps with urinary issues - you can get powdered forms of it at health food stores.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
I just got off the phone with the vet and she realized that they sent the urine for stick test only (how right you are Brooke lol).

I was gonna say! A culture of any kind that only takes 5-7 hours is outstanding! If it was legit, I'd want to know their method and products! haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:26 pm

I know after you said that I was like wait a minute Brooke is right its too early.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Don't get upset, you will find the reasoning eventually - just do the best you can. Cranberry helps with urinary issues - you can get powdered forms of it at health food stores.

as the proud producer of over 100 kidney stones boy do I know that lol its a staple for me, I just didn't know you could give it to dogs lol
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:30 pm

I gave it to Delilah and sometimes I still do because she likes it. MIne also really like the bully sticks that are infused with cranberry.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:32 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I gave it to Delilah and sometimes I still do because she likes it. MIne also really like the bully sticks that are infused with cranberry.

Those sound interesting! Where do you get your bullys Megan?

(so sry for the hijack Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 pm

I don't remember the brand - but I ge thtem at a local holistic dog food store - I will find out tomorrow and post it. They are bully stick on the outside, with Cranberry condensed on the inside.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks, Ceara Wink

June-- you mention your extensive googling and reading of articles... Ceara posted some, but would you mind providing sources for what you are posting? If you are indeed trying to clarify things for future posters, we much appreciate concrete sources instead of unlabeled quotes Smile

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:04 am

I have had it confirmed so I know for the future (never stop learning as I say!) and was given a good link to share that I'm sure June will greatly appreciate!

http://kaylenbergsiberians.com/Ectopic_Ureter.htm

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 7:52 am

For anyone interested in finding out more about this condition, I have posted many links below, you can find more good ones under Katie's and Ceara posts as well.

Ceara, thank you I had actually seen that as well.

If anyone wants more information, simply type in google or some other search engine, "ectopic ureter in dogs". It comes up under "incontinence in dogs" and even "puppy peeing in house". And if you want to be breed specific, type in "ectopic ureters in siberian husky dog".

http://siberianhusky.asia/?p=68
http://www.vetinfo.com/ectopic-uterer-in-dogs.html
http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Kidney-and-Urinary-Tract-Disorders/Ectopic-Ureters/Symptoms.aspx
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/urinary/c_dg_ectopic_ureter#.UCTrpaPNkxE
http://www.doggedhealth.com/diseases-a-symptoms/diseases-a-conditions/ectopic-ureter.html
http://diamondtsiberians.homestead.com/Aboutthesiberianhusky.html
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/130203.htm
http://www.vetspecialty.com/assets/ckfinder/userfiles/files/VSC%20Newsletter%201110%20LR%20%282%29.pdf

The good news is that this condition appears to be extremely rare, and when seen it is seen more often in females, very rare for males, unfortunately for me it appears this is the condition that Balon has, though we won't be certain until a dye study is done next week.

As I have said I will certainly keep posting his results in the event that this could help someone else in the future.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks, everyone Smile It's always good to learn something new!

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:11 am

Wow June, what a ride you've been on with Balon! I know the frustration... Odin has incontinence issues but they are due to neutering so he dribbles urine most hours of the day. It's very frustrating.

But I would just like to point out that just because we have never heard of an issue, be it rare, that tends to effect Sibes more than other breeds... Doesn't mean it isn't true. And personally a few of the earlier posts did seem a tad bit over the line. Because she never stated this was a widespread panic over Sibes. Mishka has also had a very rare condition seen mostly in cats... But when it does appear in dogs Siberians are more commonly affected. Eosinophilic granuloma. I posted about this on many many forums and no one could even begin to help me. We really did think it was mouth cancer. Thankfully it was not.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:52 am

Kristina thank you so very much for your kind words they really mean the world to me right now as I continue to process all this.

I really hope no one ever has to go through this, but if someone does, I hope the information I have posted here will help the next person. That was my only intent.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Balon had his urine culture drawn, there wasn't much there so they did a free catch to send as well in case what they got directly from the bladder wasn't enough. This vet also decided to put him on 250 mg clavamox twice daily for 14 days just in case. Since he is a new vet at the practice, I asked him what he thought about the ectopic ureter, he said he would be very, very surprised because the condition is just so rare, he said it could be a week urethra/sphincter which could be treated with phenylpropanolamine.

And as even more good news pours in VPI will cover nothing to do with ectopic ureter, including the dye test to see if he has it. They consider it to be a congenital birth defect, which they (and all others so they say) do not cover!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm

June, I just wanted to let you know that you and Balon are still in my thoughts daily and we are hoping for a positive outcome for both of you.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm

dbingham12 wrote:
June, I just wanted to let you know that you and Balon are still in my thoughts daily and we are hoping for a positive outcome for both of you.

Thank you so much, we need those good thoughts!
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:53 pm

June, phenylpropanolamine is what Saber is taking for his incontinence issues. It has worked wonders! That's not to say he still doesn't dribble now and then! Good luck to you and Balon!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 pm

SaberK wrote:
June, phenylpropanolamine is what Saber is taking for his incontinence issues. It has worked wonders! That's not to say he still doesn't dribble now and then! Good luck to you and Balon!

Yes, and I may push for trying it. They actually call it a miracle for helping dogs with incontinence issues lol. Glad it has worked for you. Occasional dribbling would be far better then walking and peeing that's for sure! Thanks for all your info!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS   Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Balon and his peeing issues-RESULTS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next