It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dog barrier suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Dog barrier suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 pm

So after Saturdays adventure i can not handle a hole summer with Jack pulling the moves he did on our drive up the cannon. i need to contain him in the back of the Element, the normal metal barriers will not work as they do not go to the floor. i found this product today and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts.

what i found
http://www.jcwhitney.com/backseat-pet-barrier/p2019716.jcwx#

this is the space i need to block between the 2 front seats. i only have 1 seat in the back
Dog barrier suggestions? Honda-10
thank you all!

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 1:57 pm

To me it doesn't look Husky-proof. You know I would spend as little as possible for a solution to that. Like a piece of plywood with one of those plastic office mats attached backwards so the points are facing out.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 2:31 pm

So how do i attach the plywood to the area? i really want something that is easy to store and put up and remove when they are not in the car? i did a live chat with a lady asking if it broke if it was returnable and she said no... that deterred me some. and no the seat belt thing does not work either as i have tried that and he just pulls the seat belt out and ends up on the floor all tangled up Rolling Eyes that and sierra has free roam of the back area since we only keep one seat in the back, she is so good in the car, lays down with a bone and you don't here from her till the car stops.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 2:32 pm

The top mesh part doesn't look like it would do anything to keep Jack out of the front seat - I bet he would climb right over that.

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 pm

we just got a honda element, and i can't stand having the dogs in it, i preferred our jeep Cherokee so much over it.

i'm just getting one of these, i wanna see if it would stop them or they would ram it lol

http://www.poochieheaven.com/autofrontseatsafetybarrier.html
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 3:42 pm

That link cracked me up...
poochieheaven.com wrote:
...keeps pets from sliding through to the front seat during hard braking...

Jenn, I would get some tagboard and make a rough stencil of the shape and cut the wood. Then I would have to figure out where to attach and anchor it. I bet the Element has more tie down loops than the van.
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Hmmm... my suggestion would just be to use the Champion Harness from USA K-9 Outfitters, and instead of looping it to a seatbelt, maybe just hook it to one of the tie downs. You can adjust it so he wouldn't get tangled in it... if you want to try it out before you buy, the lady who makes them is local. Or, you can try Nikolai's. :-)
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
we just got a honda element, and i can't stand having the dogs in it, i preferred our jeep Cherokee so much over it.

i'm just getting one of these, i wanna see if it would stop them or they would ram it lol

http://www.poochieheaven.com/autofrontseatsafetybarrier.html

I LOVE my ELEMENT!!!!! it is a GREAT dog car except for this front seat issue!!!! i don't think that will hold them, i see jack jumping right over it or eating it!!!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 4:37 pm

harrise wrote:
That link cracked me up...
poochieheaven.com wrote:
...keeps pets from sliding through to the front seat during hard braking...

Jenn, I would get some tagboard and make a rough stencil of the shape and cut the wood. Then I would have to figure out where to attach and anchor it. I bet the Element has more tie down loops than the van.

i think i will get some poster board and start there with the shape and get some wood to cut.... damn funky car making things hard....

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Have you seen this?

http://www.petautosafety.com/product/512-FLEX-GC

Dog barrier suggestions? Thumbn10

There's another one that the bars extend farther down the back of the front seats.
Dog barrier suggestions? Thumbn11

The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 7:01 pm

I have first hand knowledge that those are, at minimum, NOT Malamute-proof. Heavy duty feeling item still.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 8:18 pm

[quote="cmanding"]Have you seen this?

http://www.petautosafety.com/product/512-FLEX-GC

Dog barrier suggestions? Thumbn10

wonders if Jack would get his head stuck in there.....

I have seen these just not sure about them.

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:08 pm

jbealer wrote:

what i found

You should know better then to ask if that would work.......... you have HUSKIES they will eat that thing and then vomit it into your lap.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Claudia, suggested exactly what I'll be getting before summer time for the Rondo. Without the extension the barrier is pretty much useless.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 pm

I now have the Kurgo line and harness and it works OK for Mya. She goes NUTS the second we get to where we are going, but at least that holds her in until I'm able to get her out of the car. I need to get one for Kody...hoping it will hold him. He's getting into that PYSCHO HUSKY TEENAGE STAGE!!! Dog barrier suggestions? 85993
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 am

I have this in my SUV.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753751

Dog barrier suggestions? PPETS-3760951t400

I attached a tie out line to it and made it short enough, so Siku can't jump out of the back of the car when I open it. She sometimes pulls pretty hard on it and it doesn't move.

Edit: Just noticed you need one that goes all the way to the floor. Sorry. Guess this doesn't help then.

Dog barrier suggestions? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:24 am

jbealer wrote:

what i found

I own that and it's really nice quality, hard to set up though. Koda isn't a chewer and loves lounging in the car though, I got it only so he doesn't go into the front seat when I park him somewhere for 5 minutes (because I don't want his hair on them!).
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Here's the setup I have in my E for my boys. I may have posted it before, if so, sorry.

https://picasaweb.google.com/SibeSaver/ElementSetup?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbS_PDXl5HABw&feat=directlink

I have one of these as well but it wasn't high enough but could be modified.

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Bucket-Seat-Barrier-PB-3716/dp/B002MVD7GE
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:

You don't like it? I was thinking about getting an Element as the "dog car" and then using the truck as my actual car... Why don't you like it? Seems like it would be ideal for dogs.

I've been thinking about the element or purchasing one of the hard cab things for the truck bed. They ride in the bed from here to the dog park and back but that's only since it's backroads the whole way. I wouldn't ever think about putting them in the back and then on major roads... But if I had the cab thing, that would be different. I don't know...

Oops! Thread hijack Very Happy

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Jennet&Embry wrote:

You don't like it? I was thinking about getting an Element as the "dog car" and then using the truck as my actual car... Why don't you like it? Seems like it would be ideal for dogs.

I've been thinking about the element or purchasing one of the hard cab things for the truck bed. They ride in the bed from here to the dog park and back but that's only since it's backroads the whole way. I wouldn't ever think about putting them in the back and then on major roads... But if I had the cab thing, that would be different. I don't know...

Oops! Thread hijack Very Happy

we have a 2004, so not sure if there is any difference in newer ones. but i hate how the seats cover the windows when they're put "up". i don't like that the back windows don't roll down, and i hate that in order to open the back seat passenger door, the front seat door needs to be open. and i strongly dislike zoey's face constantly in my drink holder lol!

but i do like that the floor is plastic.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Hmm... The window thing has definitely made that a big no then! Thanks Very Happy

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 am

Don't give up on the element! The moon roof opens and the back door windows pop open as well, the back windows are a fake out. I think the element is the best suv ever and I would buy another in a heart beat. There is no carpet so the hair is easy to vac up as well as wipe down. Only down fall is the dogs getting into the front. I love that I can take the back seats out and there is SO much room! You would not even believe how much you can fit in this car! My 2 love it! I have the 2003.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 am

Second vote in favor of the E. Some of the things I carried with the rear seats out, California queen mattress, a great pyreness and two huskies, washing machine and 12 bales of hay. The AWD does awesome in snow. It's also very customizable as you can see with the simple platform I added. Pics in previous post. Honestly I would not have any other car for dogs, the cleanup for 2 huskies in a different vehicle would just be too time consuming. The E only requires a leaf blower and sometimes a wet rag.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:45 am

'Tis no minivan still. I think once you pass three sled dogs the Element will start to get crowded. Unless you don't have gear and stuff. MINIVANS RULE! Wish I could afford one of the new 286 horsepower ones, that sounds fun.

How goes the barrier, Jenn? Don't forget pics.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:58 am

Minivan does seem to fit what we need. At the breaking point with 5 dogs now lol I've seen a few minivans online with all but the 2 front seats out. That looks like a Husky-mobile.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog barrier suggestions?   Dog barrier suggestions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog barrier suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next