It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Considering a raw diet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
SiberianKaia
Newborn
Newborn
SiberianKaia

Female Join date : 2012-08-22

Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:51 am

Val,

What does your husky's raw diet consist of...?

Did you feed him/her the raw diet since he/she was a pup?

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 6:13 am

Scott, I don't follow a true PMR diet. My dogs are on partial raw and get a variety of parts from chicken, turkey, pork, beef, and sometimes lamb. And I adopted all of my dogs as adults, so I have never brought up a puppy on raw.

Newborn
Newborn
SiberianKaia

Female Join date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 4:57 pm

Can an 8 week old puppy have chicken necks whole for a raw diet or should they be ground up?

My puppy has been on kibble since I got her from the breeder two days ago. I switched her to raw chicken breasts after fasting her for 12 hours. She happily ate her first 3 meals of 8 oz. She weighs 11 lbs so I am giving her about a pound of raw meat per day (2 feedings 8 oz each). She had 2 bouts of firm stools and 3 bouts of softer stools (I am assuming this is her body adjusting from what I have read.)

I started her on cut up pieces of raw chicken breasts for 2 days. I was able to get a case of chicken necks for very cheap which I want to start her on tomorrow morning.

I am concerned about giving the 8 week old pup these necks whole. Should I be grinding them up for her since she is so young? I WANT TO AVOID CHOKING and the raw bones hurting her.

Any advice/Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott and Kaia Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 pm

The necks should be fine, I'd hold them at first to ensure your pup chews rather than swallows it whole.

Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 5:34 pm

So there was this good deal on Goat meat yesterday. When I tried to give it to Luna she smelled it and walk away. She would go back and walk away. My question is, are dog picky about meat or are there some meat they just wont eat?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 6:40 pm

There are a number of reasons why she might be ignoring the food. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the meat I'd show a little tough love. You could also try searing the meat a tiny bit to make it smell and taste more appealing. Some people resort to toppings like parmesan cheese to entice them but I don't recommend it as you don't want them to expect toppers.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Cheyenne isn't big on some meats, but once I realized that I started putting that out first and holding off on the rest until she ate it. Still not her favorite but she eats it with little hesitation now.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Before I start a thread for questions specific to Cal, I wanted to ask if I should even consider raw for her at this time? I was reading through some of the other threads and the links Val gave in the first post and it mentioned that the bacteria in meat CAN affect a dog if their immune system is compromised. Well, Callie's is. Does this mean raw should never be considered for her? Or do I just have to take care of her demodex mange before trying it? Raw appeals to me because it can boost her immune system, which is what she really needs. She's on Wellness and takes a daily vitamin supplement and neither of those have helped prevent the mange from flaring up. Raw feeding is the only other thing I can think of to boost her immune system.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 2:51 pm

I wouldn't think that starting a raw diet would affect the mange. Although I never like to change diets when my dogs are being treated for something, but that's just me.

Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Okay. Hm. I'm going to look into it more and then I'll report back here with any questions.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 3:31 pm

I started raw initially because Mickey had demodex. Supposedly it promotes a healthier body and mange mites are less likely to return to the point of flare up on a raw fed dog. Since being on raw Mickey only flares up once every 6 months and it's managed down to nothing within a week. Never goes past his paws.

Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Thank you, Kristina! It helps to hear that it's successfully worked on other dogs without a problem. I've found a couple blog posts basically saying the same thing so I think I'll try it with Callie once I know for sure what I'm doing with raw. 1 week to calm it down is nothing compared to the month it's been with Callie, and she only just started her treatment last week so probably another month of fighting with the mange. At least that gives me time to find out more about feeding raw.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:53 pm

I know it's tough. We went months without a real diagnosis with Mickey Sad finally a skin scrape came up positive for demodex and with the oral ivermectin he was healing within a few weeks. For his flare ups, I use a skin wash called PanOxyl and a warm water and tea tree oil rinse. Within 2-3 days of daily washing his paws it's nearly gone.

Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 am

I'll definitely try that if the advantage multi doesn't work. Thanks so much! She gets it in the oddest places which is why I didn't think it was mange but the skin scrape confirmed it.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 pm

http://blog.timesunion.com/petsandvets/759/raw-food-policy-will-we-ever-know-the-real-story/ Nice blog on raw feeding. Thought I'd share.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 6:27 pm

I have been reading this thread and I have a question about the raw and bones. I have always been told that chicken bones are no good for dogs because they can splinter and now yall are saying you mix the bones and the meat together. So is chicken bones good or do they just need to be broken or ground up? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Huskydad wrote:
I have been reading this thread and I have a question about the raw and bones. I have always been told that chicken bones are no good for dogs because they can splinter and now yall are saying you mix the bones and the meat together. So is chicken bones good or do they just need to be broken or ground up? Thanks.

Only splinter when cooked Wink

They are perfectly fine raw. Both my pups are on raw. My female has been eating chicken bones since she was 4 weeks old.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
Huskydad wrote:

Only splinter when cooked Wink

They are perfectly fine raw. Both my pups are on raw. My female has been eating chicken bones since she was 4 weeks old.

Thanks, did not know that. So i can give her a chicken breast or leg raw and it is good for her?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 8:19 pm

If you haven't given her raw before, i'm not sure. I know there are other thread's talking about how to start on raw. Look into it a bit more before starting her on it cold turkey.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
If you haven't given her raw before, i'm not sure. I know there are other thread's talking about how to start on raw. Look into it a bit more before starting her on it cold turkey.

OK, thanks
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:44 pm

When I got my pup at 7 weeks I started raw cold turkey. The first couple days the poop will be runny but it should firm up quickly. I use chicken thighs and the occasional chicken drumstick. I just take the skin off and trim some of the fat and its good to go!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Garebear wrote:
When I got my pup at 7 weeks I started raw cold turkey. The first couple days the poop will be runny but it should firm up quickly. I use chicken thighs and the occasional chicken drumstick. I just take the skin off and trim some of the fat and its good to go!

Some say you can start cold turkey and other's say to slowly introduce it. To each their own I suppose Smile
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Ok i got a question... I dont plan on feeding my dog raw, even though i wish i could, i live with my rents and i can just picture my mom freaking out over it.. And we dont have much freezer or fridge space, cause i have a big family.. When i get my own house down the road ill look more into te raw diet (i hope my GF doesnt read this thread lol) but anyway my wuestion is is it safe for my dog if i feed him kibble, and ocasinly give him some kind of raw treat.. If so is there any type of raw i should avoid or favor so i dont get him sick since ill only do it every once in a while?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Ericobeasto wrote:
my wuestion is is it safe for my dog if i feed him kibble, and ocasinly give him some kind of raw treat.. If so is there any type of raw i should avoid or favor so i dont get him sick since ill only do it every once in a while?

It is absolutely fine and safe to supplement raw occasionally on a kibble based diet. That's how I got started on raw in the first place since I didn't have a freezer to just make the switch cold turkey. I wouldn't say that there is anything to avoid but I would be careful if you introduce organ as it can be very rich and can give a dog the runs if they are not accustomed to it. I stuck with non-organ meats when I was feeding a primarily kibble based diet and had no problems whatsoever.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Ok.. So bascially any meat with the bone is ok just becareful of organs.. Ok that makes sense.. Most of the time ill probably give like chick or steak or some ground beef.. I also read somewhere that sardines are really good for huskies and that they love them! Have you ever gave them sardines and what is your take on those?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Considering a raw diet?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next