It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Season On Craigslist

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 am

SiriusRed wrote:
I had a couple growing up. And I've always loved the breed. I should be deathly afraid of black and white huskies, but I'm not. A black and white husky attacked me once and put nine stitches in my arm. =/ Yet I want to get a black and white husky. I must be mentally ill. I will never have an un-neutered male though.
Not mentally ill at all... just smart enough to recognize that one dog does not make a bad breed. But I am sorry for that terrible trauma!

Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks so much for looking at the shelter SiriusRed, hope it works out! So many people are unaware of how many pure bred huskies come through the local municipal shelters and tragically some never leave. Most of CL in Oklahoma is nothing puppy millers.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Well, I have to say I'm glad things didn't work out on CL. I'd much rather see a husky rescued from a shelter than rehomed on CL truthfully, mainly because CL dogs don't face a tight euthanasia deadline like shelter dogs do. Hope you are able to adopt the little guy! Any info on him, hold old is he, what led him to the shelter, etc?

Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm

He's a cutie! Hope you get him Smile
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

Female Join date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks J! I just hope he ends up in the best place for him, whether it is with his owners or with me. =)

I thought I posted a reply earlier but it didn't show up.

It says he is 2 on his kennel card. He was brought in as a stray, and we all know how huskies like to escape! He seems like a pretty well mannered boy, and he is VERY talkative.
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Update on new shelter dog:

We took our boys to the shelter today to see how they get along with the possible new dog. My shepherd was acting very dog aggressive, which is extremely odd for him. It had to be the location because I used to foster wolfdogs and I had dogs in and out of my home frequently and Ceazer never had an issue with any of them. He and the black and white husky didn't seem keen on each other though, and I have been attacked by a dog due to accidentally ending up in the between two fighting dogs, so I do not want to chance anything.

We looked at the other dogs there and they recently brought in a HUGE white dog. It was labeled as a German Shepherd but when I looked at it I saw it is actually a white husky. He has blue eyes and a curly tail. Those are not shepherd traits lol. He has to be the largest husky I have ever seen, but I saw no evidence of wolf blood in him. Oh and both dogs were fine with the puppy jumping in their faces.

Ceazer did much better with the white dog than the black and white dog. So we're going to go with that dog. We went into the office to see what the story is on him and we were told that he came in as a stray but had a rabies tag on. They call the vet that issued the tag and were given the owner's number. They called the owner and he said he had gotten rid of the dog and didn't want to hear any more about it and that if he ever saw the dog again he was going to shoot. it. =/

So as soon as he gets neutered and has all of his shots we can pick him up. They couldn't tell us how long it would be. They're backed up right now so it could be a while but they are supposed to call us. Here is the photo from the shelter's website:

Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 Newdog
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Is he shaved!? Aww... poor boy. Thank you for adopting and I'm sorry the B&W dog didn't work out! Can't wait to see better pictures of your new addition Smile

Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:54 pm

He isn't shaved, but he is filthy and his coat is in very poor condition. It wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner's idea of "getting rid" of him was throwing him out on the street. It looked like he had tar or something else black and sticky on one side of his face. They didn't give us much interaction time with him though and I hate that. The entire time we were with him we were occupied with controlling Siri and Ceazer who were in a new place and not a nice one! Siri was fine, but Ceazer was extremely uncomfortable there.

Our shelter really is pretty bad. They don't clean the dogs up to make them look more adoptable. They don't do any kind of evaluation on the dogs or any neutering or vet work until someone adopts them. They have a 65% kill rate. I'm not sure whether that is considered high or not compared to other shelters, but it seem like a lot to me! I'm sure the other husky will find a home. He is absolutely beautiful and he seemed like a sweet dog. The white dog might have had a harder time finding a home just because he is so big and intimidating. A friend of mine saw him at the shelter before I did and she said he scared her because he was so big. She is not a husky person, though.
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 7:13 pm

I borrowed this photo from google. He looks exactly like this, but bigger snd dirtier. Also, he has two blue eyes and a pinkish nose.

Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 Whitehusky
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:09 pm

aww he's a cutie and definitely not a GSD
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks Jennet!

Half of the dogs there are listed under the wrong breed. They have a brown boxer listed as a black chow chow. Hope this isn't too small to read.

Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 Chowbox
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Congrats on picking out an adoptee! I love hearing that a dog is being saved from a kill shelter. (Our sibe is from a high volume kill shelter too.)

Did the previous owner share what his name was? (or did I miss his name?) Hope they can get his neuter scheduled quickly so you can get him home soon!

I'm wondering, do you think he could be a husky/shepherd mix? I only ask since the shape of his head in the first/shelter pic it doesn't look like a typical husky head to me...then again that could be from the angle too. No cell phone pics?!

Congrats again and keep us updated! Very Happy

Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm

No, no cell pics. I'll introduce him in an introduction thread when he gets home and post pics.

From what I understand the owner was not happy to hear from animal control, so I doubt they asked what his name is. The vet who gave him the shot paperwork probably has it, but it is doubtful they will disclose any info to us. Not that it matters, we will give him a good name.

Yes, it is very possible he could be a mix. I haven't seen any mixes with two blue eyes, but I'm sure there are some. Most of the husky/shepherds I've seen have one blue and one brown eye or two drown eyes. He does look very shepherd in the picture, but in person he doesn't look shepherdy. Maybe the coat is more shepherd, but his body shape is more husky. He is much taller than my 80lb german shepherd, though much skinnier.

I know the shelter is backed up due to the weather. They have to have vets to come in to do the shots and surgeries, and everything was closed part of last week because it snowed here in San Antonio. When that happens, everything shuts down. But hopefully they will get to him soon. I definitely do not want an un-neutered dog.

On a funny note though, he tried to spray my husband. =p
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 pm

Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 3m53p13l75U55P35R1b22f3df79984dc712ef1

I don't know why I keep looking at craigslist when I have no intention of getting another dog, but I can't seem to help myself. I came across this adorable husky/malamute pup and it is taking all I have not to call this lady up and snatch her up. She is so stinking cute!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:22 pm

ohmygoshhhhh, how cute is she! I love you

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 pm

Oh wow- I dunno how I'd be able to hold back! She's freakin adorable!

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 pm

I know!!! I can't get over that cute face! Her owner only wants $20 for her. I've been battling with myself for two days! I don't know which side of me is going to win....
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

I say go for it. The pup deserves a good home and you never know what kind of person might wind up with her if the owner is selling the dog on craigslist. Especially if the rehoming fee is that low.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:44 pm

jeeze that's nothing, every husky i find on craigslist the owner wants at least a $200 rehoming fee, which is just insane
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 am

Isn't it bad to have two females in the same household? Doesn't that usually cause problems?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 am

Depends on the females. That's not always true and in most cases, the girls can be conditioned to co-exist just fine. GoneToTheSnowDogs has two females and clearly has no problems Smile

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 am

Thanks Tori, that's good to know if I lose the battle with myself. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 am

My advice would be to go see her and bring your dogs with you. You'll know when you see her in person and with your two there, you can see how they interact. Dogs choose us just as much as we choose them. You'll know Smile

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
26nikita wrote:
if I lose the battle with myself. Very Happy

Oh go on you know you've lost the battle, Wink

You came close to being right, but as much as I want her, I just can't convince myself that I can handle three dogs. I'm still training Willow so not sure that I can handle training two 6 month olds. I'm really bummed because she is so stinking adorable. Bad timing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Season On Craigslist   Husky Season On Craigslist - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Season On Craigslist

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2