It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado Empty
PostSubject: Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:40 pm

So we packed up the E on friday and in closing the bottom hatch i jamed my thumb since the E was to full the hatch stopped before i thought it would and that resulted is a stream of foul words out of my mouth, in true Jenn fashion i put some ice on it and got on the road. (back from doc today with a splint on) we had a LONG 3hr drive to the camp site. we were about 10min behind the group so it was all good, got our site and unpacked and chilled by the fire. on Sat we got up and drove to the top of independence pass to head to an un named 13,500ft peak that would then lead us to the true 13er we were after, Twining Peak. when we reached the top of the UN peak we learned we were going to drop down and lose about 500ft of elevation and have to gain another 1000ft to the summit, based on the time it took to do the first 1000ft of elevation we decided to turn around and head back. for a 2hr 45min hike it kicked our ass heading straight up right away. we got back to camp hung out, the boys shot some guns and we called it a late night. we got woken up sunday morning by eddy warning of rain on the way, it came soon and we packed up camp in the rain and headed back to denver, we were home by 10am. it then took another 2-3hrs to unpack and dry everything and repack it, rain and camping suck! the dogs were wiped out as were we but it was sill fun! ok here are our pictures.
here is our tracks from the hike
http://goo.gl/maps/TqAVk

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-3
camp set up

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-22
the start of the un named 13er, elevation gain right away!

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-13
sioux and jack

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-17

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-23
snow break

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-30
Ptarmigan, damn thing was picking on the dogs acting all hurt!

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-28
Me

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-31
summit is the mound under the cloud

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-40

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-43
Twining Peak, where we wanted to go

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-59
sioux and coco

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-54
S&J on the summit

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-45
mt elbert, the tallest peak in CO, gonna hit that one with Meredith i hope this summer!

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-57
Limbaugh on the summit with ridik in the back

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-50
family summit shot

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-64
heading back down off leash

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-67
more snow

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-83
jack found something to eat

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-87

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-93
water break at the end

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-94
fast cars at the pass

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-96
jack napping at camp

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-97
fire time

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-106
heading home

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado 2011-12-31230000-110
tired sierra

till our next adventure!

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:44 pm

It doesn't look like there's much of a trail...how do you know where you are going?

Love the last pic of Sierra. She always looks so sweet Smile 
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:08 pm

in the 2nd pic you can see a faint trail on the right side of eddy in the red with the backpack, there was a narrow trail up, and some cairns that show you the way, then you just kind of wing it to the summit! on the way back we ditched the straight trail and made our own switch back way down to save our knees. thats why i love hiking with eddy for the most part we just wing the trail, keeps us away from the masses of people taking the standard way up to a summit.

Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. I miss Colorado so much. I was born in Englewood, and lived there until my parents split up when I was 10. My fondest memories are all when I got to go to the mountains.

Looks like your pack had a blast Smile
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Wonderful pictures! It looks like they all had such a blast! Smile I miss the west. Such expansive views and grand mountains. All I can see in MS are pine trees.....lots and lots of pine trees.... and most of the time it is too hot for Shaqua to do any long hikes with me.

The "snow break" pic cracks me up. I don't know who it is front and center, but they look like "OMG I'm exhausted!!!! Please stop!" Ha ha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado   Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking with Dogs: Independence pass, Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1