It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado Empty
PostSubject: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Last weekend I took Jack up on a 4 summit adventure, i knew it would be to much for Sierra so she stayed home.
we hit 2 ranked and 2 unranked 13ers.
Santa Fe Peak- 13,180ft-ranked
Sullivan Mt.- 13,134ft- unranked
Geneva Peak-13,266ft- ranked
Landslide Peak-13,238ft- unranked
Took us 5hrs 57min, and we did 7.6 miles RT and gained 3,100ft of elevation.
link to our tracks
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zg-snrdqJx-c.k1QOzCZbNhpQ&usp=sharing

the drive up was not near as scary as the drive back down the old dirt mine road, i had white knuckles and thought we might roll over a few times, that's what happens when you drive up something half asleep at 6am, you don't think about the return trip!
We had a lovely solo day on the mountains and every time i have Jack out he impresses me with his skills and off leash behavior, love that boy.
Ok on to some pictures.

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2187
where i ditched the car

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado 4_summits
all the peaks in view

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2193
heading to santa fe

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2195
santa fe summit #1

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2196
views

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2198

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2199

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2205
Sullivan mt summit #2 looking back to santa fe

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2206
looking towards Geneva pk, next summit

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2203
Jack telling me to hurry up

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2217

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2216

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2227
Geneva Pk summit #3

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2219
looking towards Landslide pk, final summit

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2223

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2220

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2231

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2230

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2232

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2235

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2234
Landslide pk summit #4

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2237
and now to go back and do them all over again!

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2239
found a bone to something

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2242

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2245

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2258

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2249

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2255

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2259

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2260

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2262

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2265
back up Sullivan mt

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2273
last stretch home

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2261

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado DSCN2281
and just before we found the car.

then i had to figure out how to get my self turned around with no one telling me when i have gone to far so i don't end up over the side of the mountain. I figured it out and we got down, now i really want a Jeep!

hope you enjoyed all the pictures.

Till our next adventure...

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Oh wow Jenn, those are some beautiful pics. You captured too many great pics of Jack can't pic one as my favorite. Curious, the terrain looked well traveled, and didn't look too rocky until you reached the summits, did I see that right? Or was it all rocky all the way up each? (Btw, that wasn't to mean it looked easy, haha, it just looked more smooth than I envisioned to reach a summit)The one pic of the pond down below, was sooooo beautiful. Everything is just amazing. Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Renee, the summits were not to bad to get up but Geneva Peak, it was rocky the whole way up.
there were some dirt paths but most of the trail was walking on the boulders. Sierra would have hated that.
I just did not include these pics cause there not really that fun to look at Wink

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado Dscn2210

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado Dscn2211

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Wow, I can't wait to get home and see these pics better (I'm on my teeny lil phone) but I can tell they are stunning pics! Jack had so much fun! I'm totally jealous, I want so much for Kohdi to go on hikes like this...I want to move to Colorado! Lol, beautiful pics Jenn!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Ok, Thanks Jenn, totally understand. Ok for a dummy like me, who doesn't have summits like that, the very last pic where it is all rocky, to the right it looks pretty smooth, am I assuming correctly because of the steepness, it is "easier" to climb up where the rocks are as opposed to where it is smooth? The terrain here, not any major elevation, but you have no choice but to endure rocks to climb up and down, and I often say to myself, man what I would do for a smooth surface, lol. But maybe the smooth surface is not ideal on reaching a summit? You need the rocks to help you up and down? Thanks for sharing your pics, but also your knowledge. My husband pointed out a Messa he wanted all of us to climb, I now understand the importance of proper gear. But I would like you to maybe help out some of us noobs, on proper ascents and descents, if there is such a thing? Or is there something I could read here, or somewhere else, that will help in climbing/hiking?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 2:52 pm

Jennifer, now if I were just 40 years younger I'd have joined you!! Love the pictures and that sky is such a fantastic BLUE, it's been a long time since I've seen it that colour!!

I had to smile at the pictures where Jack was "cooling off" by laying in the snow ... "But mom, you gotta join me, it feels so nice!!"

I'm with Renee, that picture with the pond in it is just so beautiful!

Oh, turning around is the same in a jeep as any other 'in-line' vehicle, you just keep backing up till the back end starts to drop a bit and then you put it in forward till you run into something then you put it in reverse again. It gets to be a little more interesting when you're trying to turn a tractor-trailer around on a narrow road, it's doable, just more fun!

Ask me about my trip up Fujiyama when I was climbing in Japan ... then ask me about coming down!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Renee,
on the last pic with the rocky trail, on the lower right you can see a smooth "trail" we use that trail till there is none and end up having to cross over rocks. We also follow the Cairns, large pile of rocks right in the middle of that last image as guides for where the best path is, they are set up along a trail to guide you.
I prefer grass with some rocks over a all rocky summit like we had on the 3rd summit. for one the grass/dirt is better on the paws of the dogs, and easier on the knees of the human. when you get into the really rocky paths it takes longer to move on as you need find your footing as the rocks move on you and you spend more time guiding the dogs on the right path as even Jack gets stumped on the correct route. I worked hard to have him and Sierra trust me and they will get behind me and follow me in tricky spots. That's not to say they still get freaked out and back down and i have to go back and get them, they are also not leashed to me at that point, sometimes i do get their leash so they do not get to far from me. I would take rock and grass over small/med unsecured rocks. I do like the harder class 3 climbing where we are on boulders and have to do some climbing to move around, i like big boulders more then the loose crap in that last pic.
you can PM me any questions you have.

Al, i made the smallest turns i could and i think it took about 3-5 tries to get around. then a quarter of the way down ran into a FJ coming up, thank god i had a small shoulder at that point to move to, there were only a few on that road!
My goal is to get to other countries and climb in the next 5 yrs (before my body is "to old")

Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

Female Join date : 2014-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Great pictures! That looks like so much fun! Jack looks like he is having a blast. How did you do with the elevation changes?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 pm

Elevation change does not bother me to much except on the uphill where my speed drops so i can breath! its never my legs that suffer its my lungs. No matter how much cardio i do in Denver you still feel it above 12k feet.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 5:51 pm

That picture of Jack, just below "looking towards the landslide peak..." is just begging for a HOTM category!

Wonderful pictures, Jenn. What a beautiful day!

12K MSL - my lungs would be dying, too.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Ok, my favorite pic of Jack is one in the snow where he's facing the camera, legs out in front of him...that's a magazine pic right there! I could totally even see that as an ad for the backpack he's got on, beautiful pic!!! I love them all! I so want to experience that hike with Kohdi, maybe someday.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 8:31 pm

God I can't wait until I'm out there to do things like this with you. 6 more weeks...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Get those legs ready and work on your cardio meredith! Should be a peak or 2 in sept we can do

Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 11:01 pm

I've been training all summer, Mt Washington this weekend and a triathlon next Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 11:57 pm

My god. That is so beautiful! Very nice pics.. I bet you guys had an awesome time Smile
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 6:42 am

Beautiful pics! I would love to take my boy on a hike like that one day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking with dogs~4 Summits, one day~ Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1