It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado Empty
PostSubject: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:00 am

Lately I've been engrossed with finding those five shots out of 200 plus that are worthy of editing. With over 20,000 pics to sift through, I got behind in my hiking posts. They always seem better when I get to them while the memory is fresh. So instead of stitching panoramas together from folders two years old, I give you this most recent hike...

Android Stats:

Total Distance: 11.5 mi
Total Time: 9:13:10
Moving Time: 3:51:38
Average Pace: 48.3 min/mi
Average Moving Pace: 20.2 min/mi
Min Pace: 10.2 min/mi
Min Elevation: 9160 ft
Max Elevation: 12242 ft
Elevation Gain: 3214 ft
Recorded: Sat Aug 13 06:18:45 MDT 2011
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado RogersPassProfile

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado RogersPassRoute-1

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado RogersPassRoute

The dogs had two weeks off of hiking and they've been driving me up the frickin' wall with their attitudes and energy. Both of those weekends we were out sans-dogs getting some good class 3 hikes. That made them about 15% more stupid with each passing day. At 4:15am I let the idiots out the door all at once and they locked into place in the van with that quivering anxiety fueled stare. Off we went.

That 15 minutes bit in Longmont set us back when a train halted all movement. There was traffic too! I'm talking lots of traffic for pre 5am driving. In the end Jenn only waited less than an hour for us. Classic.

Ridik was an absolute NIGHTMARE on the last seven mile dirt road stretch. Upon arrival at the trailhead nearly 15 excruciating minutes later, I had to get out and spend a minute locked away from the Husky that was about to get set free in the woods. Finding a bit of composure I went about the process of getting 3.14 dogs ready to hike.

The South Boulder Creek Trail is a busy place. And LOUD. Every 20 minutes the massive vent fans for the Moffat Tunnel roar with a decibel level that pretty much makes you run. But we couldn't run, I was in the midst of triple checking that I had valuable (keys) items secured properly. At 6:18am I started recording GPS tracks and at 6:27 we were moving. Fan sound had me taking the longest stride I possibly could. We all covered the first mile in a hair over 11 minutes. The elevation gain was minimal there and log crossings help with moving through the various muck streams...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1318

Due to early morning lighting and a camera in auto mode, I have more text than I do images for the early portion of the hike...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1471

The dogs were only carrying food for the first four miles of hiking. I had banked on using the alpine lakes at the top of treeline to fill them up with water. Thereby saving some energy for the tundra parts of the hike. There were plenty of water crossings on this trail to keep them hydrated and more importantly soaked. As the sun rose the temperatures quickly went from upper 30's at the trailhead to 50's in the trees.

This trail has more plant growth than just about any other I've been on. The flowers were everywhere...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1337

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1507

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1501

One of the deeper water crossings...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1511

It seemed like every rock had something growing on it...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1527

On and on the trail went. But we had early morning exuberance helping us along. The first miles were clicking by at a good pace...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1537

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1559

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1344

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1347

For alpine runoff, the water was warm...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1573

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1574

After a couple of real nasty mud patches, the trail makes its way to Rogers Peak Lake...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1594

Then a short stint of vertical gets you to Heart Lake. This is the big attraction at the end of the South Boulder Creek Trail...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1611

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1624

This is where I filled the water on the dogs and put Piggy in Swamp Cooler mode. From there a spur trail meets up with the approach to Rogers Pass. It looks steep from below, and it is. With three dogs I found this part to take a lot of concentration. Stopping as little as possible helped get me up that slope in 15ish minutes. Reaching Rogers Pass brought some nice views. And the realization that James Peak was way the 'F' over there...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1641

Here we took another 15 minute rest and I looked around for a way down that wouldn't take us back on that trail segment. There is nowhere to go with three sled dogs should someone be on trail. The Malamutes were toast so I went with the path of least resistance and we headed north. All the while hoping that a reasonable descent path would prevent itself. And at least we got to put Point 12,251 on our done list. Turns out this is a pleasant little summit...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1650

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1685

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1647

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1662

After a short stint taking pics at the summit it was time to head down someway. Edging out over the east ridge of this point things looked no worse than our ascent, except there was no traffic and there was a bench just below a snow field perfect for lunch. I don't quite remember, but it seems like we spent nearly an hour eating and sitting. Doggies needed the break...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1707

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1709

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1405

And I got this SUPER SWEET shot of Sierra...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1712edit

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1715

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1721

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1728edit

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1729

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1732edit

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1741

After the lounging around we started back down that east ridge. It was hot. Upper 70's hot above 11,000 feet. Then it was steep. But the natural ledges on the southern side guide you right down to the next traverse eastward. There are some rocks and shrubs to work around before you drop the final pitch down to Heart Lake...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1761

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1762

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1764

Then it was the long haul down. Over five miles in heat up to 81 degrees. I didn't even think pictures, just down. The water helped keep them cool at least. It soaked the packs and Piggy's cooler stayed fairly wet most of the way. That thing has been great for him. It's just getting a run for its money with my usage. Somewheres about 3:30pm we emerged from the now packed trail and into the parking lot. One helluva long hike for doggies after so much time off.

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1430

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1435

Pretty sure they're going to sleep through tomorrow afternoon.

Parting shot up the valley we just hiked. That was work...
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado IMG_1432
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:46 am

Absolutely love the picture of them chilling together. Too beautiful.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:57 am

Wow Eddy I'm impressed with the post, u got that up super fast! Now I can add my pics. Tomorrow Smile
S&J were out ALL day till I we headed out for the HH&MM. Now they are super passed out!

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 8:32 am

I think I need to move... Love the pics of the dogs cuddling.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 pm

ok here are some of my pictures Smile
Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121674

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121677
lots of fun bridges to cross

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121684
This was by far the greenest most beautiful hike we have done this yr!

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121689

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121690
Ridik being happy

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121696

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121701

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121713
found the summit log in the rocks

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121715
summit, but S&J were not posing.

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121718
Eddy had to get on the rock mound on the summit

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121720

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121725

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121727

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121730
forging our own path

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121731

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121733
who loves the snow! sierra does Smile

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8121735

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8131737

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8131738

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8131740

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8131742

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8131743
sometimes sierra is ok with tambi...

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado P8131744
we made it back!!!

like eddy i kind of did not take any pics on the way down after hitting the trees, to many people and to hot!

for the record i have now recovered 2 lost items on the last 2 hikes, last week i found a guys blackberry and his money and cards. this hike i found someones Mazda keys!

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:34 pm

I love the pic of Sierra lovin' on the snow! She is a beauty!

I still think Jack and Sabaka are long-lost brothers Wink

Jenn, I will forever think of your two as the perfect example of working vs. show huskies. They are both so gorgeous in their own way.

LOVE the pics, Eddy and Jenn! I can't imagine doing an 11 minute mile with my "bloodhound". We're happy for a 20 minute mile on flat ground.... good grief!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 4:35 pm

The pics are fabulous! Sierra looks soooooooo happy! Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 5:45 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
I love the pic of Sierra lovin' on the snow! She is a beauty!
I still think Jack and Sabaka are long-lost brothers Wink
Jenn, I will forever think of your two as the perfect example of working vs. show huskies. They are both so gorgeous in their own way.
Lisa, i just LOVE sierra Smile she is my fav (don't tell jack Wink ) and i would not call them a perfect example, but yes Sierra is very much on the "show" side with her coat and AKC lines for show. i have no papers for Jack but yes he is very much from working lines and i wish i know where he came from. his drive on the trail is incredible! when we do pet shows with the rescue i do use them for those 2 examples when people ask.
and jack and sabaka are distant twins Laughing

HW- Sierra is always HAPPY when hiking its crazy how she lights up, funny to cause trying to get her pack and harness on she will run from me!

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Jack is so studly! But Sierra has such a SWEET look on her face to where you just want to love on her all day!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado   Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking With Dogs: Rogers Pass, Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1