It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. Empty
PostSubject: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Some of you have read about this before. I used to live over about 1 mile from Soshannas unaltered brother. When my dogs would go into heat, he would always come to the house. To the point of my having to check for him before letting my dogs potty, and monitor my dogs the entire time. Well two days ago, my old room mate called to tell me Blewett had shown up at the house. Today, I brought Soshanna over to play with him, but we discovered he wasnt in Al`s yard. We walked over to my old house and he wasnt there. When Al got the call that his dog was found, it was from 3/4 of a mile from my new house, and 3 miles from his house. Once shes in full heat, he will pinpoint where it is.

Alec finally put pride aside and asked me how to teach his dog not to do that. I said cut his balls off and start enforcing fences as boundaries, starting a year and a half ago. Smile
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Yeah, we had a little schipperke who would show up IN our yard when Elara was in heat. Little snott dug a trench along the fence to get in one time and another time tried to climb in the porch through a cracked window! Thank goodness those people finally moved. They have zero concern about their dog running loose. For one they didn't even know what breed he was (thought he was a chihuahua x chow cross! I kid you not!) and they had found him running the streets to begin with. But they thought it was perfectly fine to let their little BLACK dog run loose every night at 8pm and, well, "he usually came back the same night." And "Oh! did he breed with you dog?! He's bred with another neighbor's dog and they loved the puppies so much we're planning on doing it for a 3rd time!" I wanted to punch that idiot in the face right there and then.

Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:50 pm

SaraB wrote:
"Oh! did he breed with you dog?! He's bred with another neighbor's dog and they loved the puppies so much we're planning on doing it for a 3rd time!" I wanted to punch that idiot in the face right there and then.

SERIOUSLY!?! how can people be this ignorant! I would have punched that person and felt good about doing it too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Yep! And who knows what breed the female was. They didn't even know what breed their dog was! If I had caught the dog again, I was going to get it neutered or send it to schipperke rescue!

Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 pm

This is Soshannas littermate. And he only does this when SHE goes into heat. Its so weird. He managed to tie when they were puppies and I was gone, but thankfully no pregnancy. Since then, Ive been very proactive, and Alec hasnt.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 11:35 pm

If you're going to keep your dogs in tact, you have to be extra responsible. My 2 boys are in tact and have never caused any issues. They could jump the fence if they wanted to, but never have. They are trained well and are loved so much, I don't think they want to take the chance of leaving. We live in a neighborhood full of dogs, but maybe all of the females are fixed. Not sure. I consider myself a very responsible dog owner and would take whatever measures necessary to ensure my dogs don't cause problems with my neighbors. So far, so good.
Back to top Go down
Frebu
Newborn
Newborn
Frebu

Male Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 3:37 pm

So its the dogs fault that the owner doesn't know how to control the dog? I'm sorry this isn't a "danger of unaltered pets" its more like "danger of bad owners". Your dog is going to try to mate if he isn't altered, if your not willing to go the extra mile to protect him then you should get him altered. But its not the dogs fault, and its not a perk of neutering.

Hey if I cut my dogs legs off he will never dig out again, MUCH easier then training him where he can dig and putting in barriers around and under the fence..........BONUS! You won't have to worry about joint problems.........(this is how the neutering propaganda comes off to somebody who isn't buying what they are selling)
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Watch your tone. You really dont know much about the dog or owner.
Back to top Go down
Frebu
Newborn
Newborn
Frebu

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 6:10 pm

K9_Eric wrote:
Watch your tone. You really dont know much about the dog or owner.

If your dog gets out constantly its your fault. It doesn't matter why or what he does when he gets out.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 pm

I don't know if I would pass judgement on someone so fast...sometimes, things just happen. I'm responsible with my animals and they have managed to slip out of leashes and open doors...that doesn't mean I'm a bad pet parent.

I think neutering is a great tool for pet parents. Both of my dogs are altered, per my decision. Not to mention, many breeders require neutering and spaying on pet dogs...any of the ethical ones I know do. Simply because it protects their lines and ultimately the breed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Frebu
Newborn
Newborn
Frebu

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 10:46 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I don't know if I would pass judgement on someone so fast...sometimes, things just happen. I'm responsible with my animals and they have managed to slip out of leashes and open doors...that doesn't mean I'm a bad pet parent.

I think neutering is a great tool for pet parents. Both of my dogs are altered, per my decision. Not to mention, many breeders require neutering and spaying on pet dogs...any of the ethical ones I know do. Simply because it protects their lines and ultimately the breed.

Yes accidents happen, with dogs and with life. But the post makes it clear that this is a recurring problem that the owner didn't fix for over a year. In fact its clear that the owner didn't know HOW to fix it. Altering your dog will not stop a learned behavior, its not a cure all and I am beyond tired of people pushing it like it is.

As for "ethical" breeders altering pets...........return customers. Breeding is a business, always has been, always will be. If you could make your own, why would you go to them? By having an "exclusive" product(or line or breed or size) they can charge you more. The unfortunate side effect of this business is puppy mills and backyard breeders, when you have a wide gap in your cost:profit market somebody is going to move in to try and make a quick buck. And those people........well they suck.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Frebu wrote:
Hey if I cut my dogs legs off he will never dig out again, MUCH easier then training him where he can dig and putting in barriers around and under the fence..........BONUS! You won't have to worry about joint problems.........(this is how the neutering propaganda comes off to somebody who isn't buying what they are selling)

Word to the wise, you aren't going to get through to people if you are rude and condescending. This statement was way over the top for this discussion. There is a time and place for sarcasm, but that was flat out mean. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 pm

I'm not sure which ethical breeders you know, but the grand majority are much cheaper than puppy mills and pet stores - Breeders who are doing it for the right reasons make very little money and sometimes don't even break even. If a breeder will provide me with a healthy, stable dog and requires I neuter him - I neuter him. The neutering has much less risks IMO, than getting a puppy from a random litter from a byb.

This isn't the place for this topic - I was simply stating that spay/neuter contracts are completely reasonable and necessary.

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:22 pm

A dog that has had the experience of breeding will be more determined to get out and find the source of the scent, a prime mate. This dog in question has tied in the past, he knows what that smell means what rewards it brings. Neutering a male like this will curb that desire, I have seen it work in dogs that have been used for years as stud dogs that process does take a lot longer to detour. Does it take some work? Of course, but the urge does die down and the desire to track down the female is subdued.

As far as Spay/Neuter contracts go, I agree with Megan- They are reasonable and necessary. You want to protect what you have worked toward, you don't want to see it undone in one breeding by someone that doesn't care what they are doing they are just making dogs- you protect that with a contract.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Allow me to fill you in on some facts about my dogs brother, and his owner.

Blewett ONLY cares about Soshannas heats. ONLY SOSHANNAS. Which has been a whopping 3 heats in 2 years. The first two, we were practically neighbors. Its rural out whdre i live. So, hes not continually dealing with this problem. His dog is very loved, gets plenty of excercise, etc. He can also clear a 6 ft fence without touching it, open gates and doors, and climb ladders. He was trained to be self sufficient.

Neutering is a great tool. Not every dog needs its nuts.

Also, if you think spay and neuter contracts are money getters, youre obviously new to the world.of dogs, and i forgive all your ignorance.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Simon- this is not how we operate around here. If you have a comment to make you will do so by being respectful and not come off as rude . No one is going to listen to anyone who's comparing neutering to cutting off a dogs legs. No one.

Frebu wrote:

As for "ethical" breeders altering pets...........return customers. Breeding is a business, always has been, always will be. If you could make your own, why would you go to them? By having an "exclusive" product(or line or breed or size) they can charge you more. The unfortunate side effect of this business is puppy mills and backyard breeders, when you have a wide gap in your cost:profit market somebody is going to move in to try and make a quick buck. And those people........well they suck.

I guess my $1,300 Petland product Rodeo would be at the top of the scale for price and quality then? Ethical breeders charge what they put into a dog. If I had the choice to spend between $600-800 on a "pet quality" well bred heath tested puppy or $1,000+ on a puppymill genetic free-for-all... Which one seems like the "better bargain?"

Get this back on topic or its locked, end of story.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:00 am

Yeah, so it's just amazing how far an unaltered male will go to be with a mate.

An interesting angle that got left out is that spaying Soshanna would also solve this problem. If Soshanna were a spayed female, Blewett would never wander. Alec wouldnt even have ever had an issue. Thats why its the dangers of unaltered dogs.

Its an anecdote, not a training question, keep that in mind please.

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:18 am

Oh both sexes can get very persistent when it comes to the drive to breed! Its such a joy having both in the same kennel....the boys will go on hunger strikes (and it's always close enough to a show where they look like hell by the time they go) while the girls are flagging their hoo-haws up and down the fence line! I've had friend's who's females have fence scaled to get in with the boys. LOL, joys and precautions we must take!
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:20 am

Off topic here but I will need to do some extensive research on breeders for my next husky. All of the ones I found where charging $1,250-$2000 which is nuts in my opinion and that's without shots.

I know I'm going to get killed for this but I got Meeka from CG. I had learned a ton on the breed but not on breeders. Only with mistakes do people learn.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:20 am

My friends Beauceron plans her heats for show dates. I swear. When she can show she is best bitch, but shes usually bleeding for show time.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 am

ateam043 wrote:
Off topic here but I will need to do some extensive research on breeders for my next husky. All of the ones I found where charging $1,250-$2000 which is nuts in my opinion and that's without shots.

I know I'm going to get killed for this but I got Meeka from CG. I had learned a ton on the breed but not on breeders. Only with mistakes do people learn.

Don't be upset with yourself - now you know. if you need help finding breeders feel free to message me or start a new topic where eveyrone can weigh in Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 am

ateam043 wrote:

Where exactly are you looking? That is way more than any of the reputable CA/OR breeders I know are charging! Those are puppy mill prices, especially if there is no vetting on the puppies prior to homing.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:25 am

K9_Eric wrote:
My friends Beauceron plans her heats for show dates. I swear. When she can show she is best bitch, but shes usually bleeding for show time.

I'd rather show an in season bitch (just give the judge a heads up) than an adolescent male being bombarded by bitch smell! The first show I took Denali to that he was aware of his balls it was constant crying- FUN.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:29 am

Megan - will definately keep that in mind. Only reason I posted my corny was someone mentioned they would pay $600-800.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:33 am

Not to worry - I paid under 1k and Cato is from a well known show kennel..so 600-800 is definitely reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..   Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next