It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Tonight I will give him the scrambled eggs and chicken. How many days do you think it should take to start clearing it up before I switch to just the eggs?

I can't give him any carrots, huh? =(
Val is suggesting just starting with eggs and build from there. As soon as his diarrhea clears up (probably in 24-48 hrs) you can add on. It won't hurt him Smile

Blue Buffalo Wilderness is grain-free. Regular Blue Buffalo is not. Very subtle difference and easily confused. Smile

Get him regular, then build on his diet in whichever direction you feel most comfortable.

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi Melissa!
I know what you're going through and I sympathize.

I can only share my experience with you so please keep in mind that my success with Ginger could be totally different from what you may need to do with Kody.

I started her out on 2 eggs 3x a day. You can scramble them but since it ends up sticking to the pan because you shouldn't use Pam or butter or oil, I did hard boiled eggs. But she wasn't pooping every day, and I learned that they should go at least once a day. So, to get her to have a BM once a day, I had to give her volume, but limit it to one source of protein, and one source of fiber (to help create a BM). Since I knew she liked carrots and did well on them, I chopped them and boiled them, and I increased the amount of eggs to 4. This was at the advise of a holistic vet that has breed specific experience with Huskies. Within 24 hours, she had a nice formed BM, and was doing well on eggs and carrots. If there is a concern with the sugar content in carrots, you can do green beans, but start out small and then go from there.

I kept her on eggs on carrots for at least 5 days. On the 6th day, I introduced her kibble back in at a ratio of 25% kibble to 75% eggs and carrots. But she started to go a little soft and determined that there was something in Taste of the Wild that she didn't agree with. So I went back to homecook (eggs and carrots) until she went back to normal and kept her there for another 3 days. I then chose to go with Orijen 6 fish formula because in the past, she has done well with fish. I did the same ratio of 25% Orijen and 75% homecook. She had regular BM and after 5 days of that ratio, I went to 50% Orijen and 50% homecook. She still did well on that ratio, but I kept there at 50/50 for 5 days before I went to 75% Orijen and 25% homecook. I kept her at 75% Orijen/25% homecook for another 5 days, before I went 100% kibble.

As Val said, it's trial and error, and anytime his BMs go a little soft, back off and keep him to what made his BMs formed for a few days before introducing a new kibble.

As Tori and Val have said, eggs are good, and if he does well with chicken, you can do chicken. I started with 1 protein, and then added carrots for fiber to help Ginger produce a BM. But you can do green beans to avoid the sugar in carrots. (Ginger doesn't like green beans so much).

I hope you my experience gives you some helpful information.

Like I said, I can only share my experience with you in hopes it helps you find something that works for Kody, but Val and Tori are much more knowledgeable, and they were the main gals, along with switching to a holistic vet, that helped me get through this with Ginger.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 1:24 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I can't give him any carrots, huh? =(

Yes, you can give him carrots. If that's the only treat he can have and it's not causing problems then I see no reason to stop giving them. My only reason for mentioning possibly stopping the carrots was just to get him on one food source until he firms up and also if he was not chewing them. Since he's chewing his carrots I doubt they would be causing a blockage and if you're sure they don't upset his tummy then feel free to give them. Smile

Edited to add: I had to run out real quick earlier and didn't get a chance to say what puppy/all life stages (ALS) food I'd try for starters, so here it is. Ideally I'd start out with a limited ingredient food, I am pretty sure Natural Balance is the only one with ALS limited ingredient formulas that are grain free. Some dogs are sensitive to potato though so I'd stick with the formulas with one protein source and sweet potatoes as a carb. My top picks from NB's LID line would be Sweet Potato & Venison, Sweet Potato & Chicken, or Potato & Duck. These are heavy on the carbs so I wouldn't stick with them long term but they are great starters for figuring out what proteins and carbs your dog does well on. Orijen puppy as I mentioned before would be my top choice of a puppy kibble but as with anything it may not agree with every dog. Taste of the Wild is another ALS formula that offers a few different protein sources to work with, again it's trial and error. I've tried TOTW High Prairie, Pacific Stream, and the Wetlands formulas and the only one of the 3 that my sibe does well on is the Wetlands formula...trial and error. Wink Nature's Variety Instinct has some ALS grain free choices with novel proteins like their Duck & Turkey formula (contains duck, turkey and salmon) and their Rabbit formula (contains rabbit and salmon). I had excellent results with the Nature's Variety Instinct Duck & Turkey formula...my only complaint is the smell from the raw coating sprayed on, halfway through the bag it really starts to put out an odor. Edited again: Forgot to add, Acana would be my second choice of a puppy food and it is not quite so pumped up on protein so you don't have to worry about a neurotic pup. lol

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Wow Tori and Val... you girls really know your stuff!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to type of that up!=)

And Claudia thank you so much for your input as well! I makes me feel much better that I'm not the only one going through this.

So, I took him to the vet yesterday. He said that if he had anything stuck in his tummy that he would be vomiting a lot and not acting normal at all. Thank god for that!

As far as the diarrhea...he said whatt I expected. To put him back on ID to regulate him and then that I could switch him to a grain free food. I didn't want to go against his advice since we've been wit him for years so i did buy the small bag of ID, but i'm not giving it to him. I started him on the scrambled eggs like you girls suggested and this morning his poop was a bit more formed. No liquid at all! woohoo! Let's see how it goes for the next 2 days. I'm still giving him the carrots, but only when it's time for him to go in his crate. He's hungry though. He goes to where his kibble is and starts and then woooo's at me and stares..LOL. Poor thing. I'm going to give him 2 scrambled eggs 3 times a day. Yesterday he only got them twice.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Good to hear Melissa!
The eggs will give him protein, and the carrots will give him fiber to help him produce a BM.

If you see that adding a couple of more eggs a day still is getting him better, keep him on it a few more days. Hopefully it'll bring him back to normal BMs. Just to give you a reference point, and I'm not saying this is what you should do, but Ginger was 3 1/2 years old at the time when she went through this and weighs 60 lbs. I gave her 4 hard boiled eggs and 1 cup of par-boiled chopped carrots, 3x a day. Remember, this is just a reference.

If he continues to do better on more eggs, you're headed in the right direction, and if it were me, I wouldn't even start the I/D food. I would eventually go with one of Val's suggestions for kibble. But that's just me.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 2:28 pm

cmanding wrote:
Good to hear Melissa!
The eggs will give him protein, and the carrots will give him fiber to help him produce a BM.

If you see that adding a couple of more eggs a day still is getting him better, keep him on it a few more days. Hopefully it'll bring him back to normal BMs. Just to give you a reference point, and I'm not saying this is what you should do, but Ginger was 3 1/2 years old at the time when she went through this and weighs 60 lbs. I gave her 4 hard boiled eggs and 1 cup of par-boiled chopped carrots, 3x a day. Remember, this is just a reference.

If he continues to do better on more eggs, you're headed in the right direction, and if it were me, I wouldn't even start the I/D food. I would eventually go with one of Val's suggestions for kibble. But that's just me.

Thanks Claudia! Kody is 5 months and weighs 35lbs so I'm guessing that the 2 eggs, 3x a day, and carrots as his treats should be enough for him. Maybe I'll throw one more egg in there if he's doing well on them. I totally agree on the I/D and will most likely not be giving it to him. Honestly, I only bought it to not go against his advice. I know it sounds ridiculous to spend $ on food that I have no intentions on feeding, but my vet is awesome and always goes out of his way for us. I would feel horrible telling him " no sorry, you're wrong and I'm doing this" lol!
I do feel that Val and Tori are totally on the right track and I'll be taking their advice for my lil man I love you

You guys are the best!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Glad to hear he's doing better Smile

And it's no offense to vets at all... and honestly- I'm such a pushover, I probably would have done the same thing and then John would have yelled at me- lol.

Again, vets just don't have training in nutrition... and I'm not saying that I do (not at all) but my advice comes from my own experiences and those of some very well-respected forum members over the years who have taught me a LOT about huskies and their sensitive tummies!

Hopefully Kody will be happy and healthy in no time Smile

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, you could always donate the bag of Science Diet to a shelter or something. Most of them can always use extra food or they can sell it to buy supplies for the shelter that they do need. Nothing wrong with buying it to support your vet even if you don't agree with it. Smile

I'm a stubborn one when it comes to vets as too many of the ones I've gone to are too pushy about what they want for my dogs and it really clashes with what I want. I had finally found a fantastic holistic vet in Orlando that was PERFECT and then we had to move to South Carolina...and there are NO holistic vets in and around the Charleston area. Sad I'm stuck taking my pooches to a traditional vet who is trying to push Science Diet and unnecessary vaccines down my throat. I'm taking all 3 of my dogs in for their annuals, HW test, fecals and bloodtest on Thursday and I am already mentally preparing myself for the inevitable arguing over vaccines. When I called to make the appointment the front desk person was already going on about vaccines and when I told her I wasn't getting vaccines for them she tells me 'well you'll have to talk to the vet about that'. *sigh* No Not even going to mention raw food being part of their diet! In addition to nutrition, most older vets are old school on vaccines still but younger vets seem to be *slighty* more educated on over-vaccinating. I guess I just think that since I'm the client paying the vet for their services that I should get what I want, not what they want to sell me...well, that's how I see it anyway. Laughing

Anyway, glad he's doing a little better so far. Here's hoping you continue to see improvement. If the stools continue with formation you could add another food item to his menu like the boiled chicken and see how he does on that. Sweet potato is really good too and is generally easy on the stomach. Then I'd see about adding a limited ingredient diet to that and see where it takes you. Fingers crossed for you!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks Val. Sucks that you can't find a vet that you like in SC. I would be very upset if I had to leave my vet! I got so lucky with him because he's not pushy at all and leaves it up to us, but he's so nice that I feel bad going against him. I'm a wuss I know! lol! He's very down to earth and I'd say in his late 30s so not old at all. How long should I keep Kody on the eggs? I'm guessing a few days and then once the stool is completely formed add the 2nd food item.

You know? You seem to really enjoy this. Where do you work if you don't mind me asking? You'd be great at working with nutrition stuff for doggies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm

MelissaI wrote:
...How long should I keep Kody on the eggs? I'm guessing a few days and then once the stool is completely formed add the 2nd food item.

If Kody is doing well on eggs and carrots and his stool completely forms up, I'd keep him there for at least another couple of days before adding another ingredient.

While I worked through Ginger's diarreha, I kept her on homecooked a good 5 days once she firmed up before adding anything to the mix.

Once you add another ingredient, and Kody still does well, keep him there for another few days before moving on. If he goes soft, minus whatever you just added.

This is where the trial and error begins and takes the time and patience.

I never knew I'd be so interested in Ginger's stool, but even now that she's been regulated for a few months, I'm still ALWAYS watching her stool and keeping an mental record of what she had to eat.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:04 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Thanks Val. Sucks that you can't find a vet that you like in SC. I would be very upset if I had to leave my vet! I got so lucky with him because he's not pushy at all and leaves it up to us, but he's so nice that I feel bad going against him. I'm a wuss I know! lol! He's very down to earth and I'd say in his late 30s so not old at all.

You are lucky, really good vets just seem so hard to find unfortunately. Out of the 5 different vets I've used personally, only one of them was a perfect match for us and she was a holistic vet in FL. If driving 6 hours to see our holistic vet in Orlando was a viable option I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sad

MelissaI wrote:
How long should I keep Kody on the eggs? I'm guessing a few days and then once the stool is completely formed add the 2nd food item.

How slow you take this will vary based on how sensitive your dog is. Really sensitive dogs like my Faith and Claudia's Ginger have to take changes slower than the average dog. You know your dog best so use your best judgment. I would definitely wait to have at least a few, consistent solid stools before introducing a new ingredient to the mix. Do keep us updated on his progress too if you don't mind sharing. Funny thing about dog people is we like talking about stool. Laughing Razz

MelissaI wrote:
You know? You seem to really enjoy this. Where do you work if you don't mind me asking? You'd be great at working with nutrition stuff for doggies Very Happy

Aww, thank you. Smile I do enjoy this and I am really passionate about animal health and nutrition. I've seriously had people tell me I should go into business helping people with animal nutrition online after they've sat back and watched me coach others on what they should and shouldn't feed, why, how, etc. Anyone that knows me knows it's my passion. You should just see me light up when someone asks me a pet nutrition or health related question. LOL Non-dog people must think I'm nuts! I actually don't work right now, I've been a housewife for the last 2.5 years. My dream is to one day open up my own specialty pet food store where I can share my passion with other pet owners, help others out with feeding their dogs, be my own boss, and bring my dogs to work with me everyday. Who knows if it will ever happen but it's a dream that I'm holding on to that maybe someday will come true. I do know that I want to work with animals no matter what so I'm planning to enroll in classes this summer or fall to become a vet tech as something to do in the meantime until I can achieve that dream of mine. Very Happy

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Do keep us updated on his progress too if you don't mind sharing. Funny thing about dog people is we like talking about stool. Laughing Razz

I never knew I would be one of those people who 'likes to talk shit'...LOL!

Huskyluv wrote:
Aww, thank you. Smile I do enjoy this and I am really passionate about animal health and nutrition. I've seriously had people tell me I should go into business helping people with animal nutrition online after they've sat back and watched me coach others on what they should and shouldn't feed, why, how, etc. Anyone that knows me knows it's my passion. You should just see me light up when someone asks me a pet nutrition or health related question. LOL Non-dog people must think I'm nuts! I actually don't work right now, I've been a housewife for the last 2.5 years. My dream is to one day open up my own specialty pet food store where I can share my passion with other pet owners, help others out with feeding their dogs, be my own boss, and bring my dogs to work with me everyday. Who knows if it will ever happen but it's a dream that I'm holding on to that maybe someday will come true. I do know that I want to work with animals no matter what so I'm planning to enroll in classes this summer or fall to become a vet tech as something to do in the meantime until I can achieve that dream of mine. Very Happy

I think you should seriously open your own specialty pet food store! You would be GREAT at it!! And going to get your vet tech degree?...Well, that would be icing on the cake!! You're already ahead of the game by leaps and bounds and you'd be really good at it!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 10:21 pm

Haha! Funny thing....today at work I was talking to a co-worker (over cubicles mind you and I'm Cuban so VERY LOUD by nature...lol) and telling her how Kodys #2 was liquid and then it's gotten some texture to it today because of your advice, how hold I felt it out to see if there was anything in it,etc. I was pretty hyped up from the gym so I was non stop talking and then all of a sudden i'm like "Shit...I'm talking about dog shit out loud in a totally corporate office"! LOL!!! That was pretty funny.

That's a great dream to have and you can so do it!!!! You're mind is obviously set on it and I'm sure that you'll be nothing, but successful =) It's awesome to meet people with a passion for helping out animals. Warms my heart! I love you

I will definitely keep you girls posted and I'm sure I'll have MANY more questions..LOL. He hasn't pooped tonight as of yet, but I'm hoping that when he does it's improved even more. My poor baby!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Where do you all think I learned a lot of my knowledge from? With Val, you're getting it from the source! Val and I have been frequenting the same forums for about 2.5 years now, Val? Very Happy

I agree, woman! Specialty pet food store is quite the calling for you!

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

cmanding wrote:
I never knew I would be one of those people who 'likes to talk shit'...LOL!

Before getting a dog, neither did I! Laughing

cmanding wrote:
I think you should seriously open your own specialty pet food store! You would be GREAT at it!! And going to get your vet tech degree?...Well, that would be icing on the cake!! You're already ahead of the game by leaps and bounds and you'd be really good at it!

MelissaI wrote:
That's a great dream to have and you can so do it!!!! You're mind is obviously set on it and I'm sure that you'll be nothing, but successful =) It's awesome to meet people with a passion for helping out animals. Warms my heart! I love you

Koda wrote:
I agree, woman! Specialty pet food store is quite the calling for you!

Well thank you girls, I think being a vet tech will give me an added leg up in it too. If nothing else I hope that it will give me even more insight for when I hopefully open up my own place. My husband knows how much my heart is set on my dream and he fully supports me on it 100%. I don't think now, the way the economy is at present, is the best time to start a new business so I will pursue my vet tech degree and work in that field until I find the right timing, place and opportunity to put my dream into action. My short term goal is to get that degree and work as a vet tech part time at a shelter rather than a vet office, I'm in this for the animals not the money.

MelissaI wrote:
Haha! Funny thing....today at work I was talking to a co-worker (over cubicles mind you and I'm Cuban so VERY LOUD by nature...lol) and telling her how Kodys #2 was liquid and then it's gotten some texture to it today because of your advice, how hold I felt it out to see if there was anything in it,etc. I was pretty hyped up from the gym so I was non stop talking and then all of a sudden i'm like "Shit...I'm talking about dog shit out loud in a totally corporate office"! LOL!!! That was pretty funny.

Laughing That's one thing I hate about cubicles is it's not very discreet. lol Oh well, at least everyone now knows how much you love your doggies! I didn't know you were Cuban! My husband is Cuban and his whole family is as well, so I can appreciate what you mean by loud! LOL Most of my husband's family are still in Miami and a few in Orlando. OMG, Cuban parties are like no other! Very Happy

MelissaI wrote:
I will definitely keep you girls posted and I'm sure I'll have MANY more questions..LOL. He hasn't pooped tonight as of yet, but I'm hoping that when he does it's improved even more. My poor baby!

Can't wait to hear how he's doing.

Koda wrote:
Where do you all think I learned a lot of my knowledge from? With Val, you're getting it from the source! Val and I have been frequenting the same forums for about 2.5 years now, Val? Very Happy

Hey, it's been more than 2.5 years! It's been at least 3 years! And it wasn't just me, you have Linzi, Heather and Becca to blame as well. Wink

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Oh, how funny Val! Us Cubans ARE CRAZY!!! LOL! The parties can out do any other...that's for sure. Plus, when the beer and liquor start flowing..oh boy! So, I take it that you've been down to Miami before? Where are you from?

Well, Kody has been on the eggs since Monday night. Tuesday morning his stool was a bit more formed. Yesterday morning it was still soft, but not liquid (at all). Then he didn't poop last night, but woke up at like 2am to go out. My hubby took him out, but Kody freaking ate his poop before he was able to see it. He didn't poop before we left to work so I have no idea how it's going...LOL! Today is his 3rd day so I'm hoping that he'll poop this evening and that I can see it. He is eating his carrots so he's getting his fiber (like Claudia said).
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:47 pm

How many eggs is he getting? I would probably increase the amount of eggs if he at his poop.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Oh, how funny Val! Us Cubans ARE CRAZY!!! LOL! The parties can out do any other...that's for sure. Plus, when the beer and liquor start flowing..oh boy! So, I take it that you've been down to Miami before? Where are you from?

Yeah I've visited Miami a few times. But my husband's family sure does like to party and they'll use any excuse to throw one. lol I'm from Jax, FL actually, I met my husband when I moved to Tampa for college. I've lived in Jax, Tampa and Orlando but only visited Miami a few times.

MelissaI wrote:
Well, Kody has been on the eggs since Monday night. Tuesday morning his stool was a bit more formed. Yesterday morning it was still soft, but not liquid (at all). Then he didn't poop last night, but woke up at like 2am to go out. My hubby took him out, but Kody freaking ate his poop before he was able to see it. He didn't poop before we left to work so I have no idea how it's going...LOL! Today is his 3rd day so I'm hoping that he'll poop this evening and that I can see it. He is eating his carrots so he's getting his fiber (like Claudia said).

Like Tori suggested, if he's suddenly eating his stool he might not be getting enough to eat. Now if this is an ongoing issue from before putting him on the eggs then that may not be it. If you are seeing consist formed stools, even if they are somewhat soft you could try introducing a little plain chicken to see how that goes over with him, see if it gets better or worse. Also you could try mixing a bit of Metamucil in with his eggs to up the fiber content which might help him get firmer stool. Just a suggestion.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Well he's been a poop eater since before the eggs...LOL. Working on that! Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 85993
I'm giving him 3 eggs, 3X a day, and I'd say about a cup of baby carrots throughout the day (as treats).
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 am

Ok, so I finally got to see his poop when we got home from work today. He actually pooped 3 times in matter of 10min. First poop was formed, but soft. Second one was pretty well formed, but the third was little soft drops (sounds gross...I know). I was actually going to take a picture to show you, but decided that wouldn't be too pretty...lol. Anyways, I think it's going well. He pooped and it's better formed so if he's still on the same track by saturday I'll try giving him so boiled chicken. Should I give it to him at the same time as the eggs? Or do eggs, then chicken as the 2nd meal, and eggs again?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Aww, sorry it's not as good as we'd hope it would be. With adding the chicken, you could do it either way, as separate meals or as a mixed meal. It's really up to you. I personally prefer to mix the two so that it's not as big a shock on the system since his tummy has gotten accustomed to the egg. I think it's easier to adjust to a mix of what he's used to with something new than introducing something new altogether. Again it depends on how sensitive the dog and also your personal preference/convenience.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 3:37 pm

ughhhhh I'm getting very frustrated with this! I did the whole chicken thing and that didn't work. I bought him Natural Blance, Sweet Potato and Bison, grain free formula and still NOTHING! He threw up twice last night...first time he throws up. I don't think the throwing up was due to the food though because he's been eating it for a week now. Should I switch his good AGAIN? A few people have told me to give him white rice and that it should cut the diarrhea.

He's so skinny looking to me! I'm getting really frustrated and it breaks my heart! Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Go back to what works. Refresh and rewind. What has he done best on? Eggs? If so, start him back on that until he gets better and wait a few days.

As others will confirm, the key to this guess and check game is PATIENCE. Getting over excited and switching him more will do more harm than good. Find what works, stick to it, and then build slowly. Something in what you're giving him is causing a reaction. It took Heatherlee months to figure out that her Koda was allergic to potato.

Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Melissa, twenty years ago when Eukanuba and Science Diet WERE the premium dog foods, our husky had similar symptoms. We did what Tori and Valerie are advising you. We fed some chicken and eggs and even a little white rice. We finally came to the conclusion that she had a soy allergy. It was a "nasty" time in our life - all the messes and trial and error feeding...

Hope you figure this out soon!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm

In the beginning of the month, you said he seemed to be doing better when you had him on eggs and carrots. Go back to that. Always add only 1 ingredient at a time, and do it in small amounts at first. If he still does well after adding another ingredient, keep him there for a few days before adding a little more of that ingredient you just added. If adding more makes him go soft, back that off and go back to just eggs and carrots and keep him there for a few days before trying another ingredient.

This will take time and patience because of how slow you have to work this out.

If/when he goes soft, don't change his food altogether to something completely different like switching from eggs and carrots to kibble. Always go back to your 'base' that he was doing OK with (which sounds like he was doing OK on eggs and carrots).

Not sure if this is going to make any difference, but I did scrambled eggs for Ginger at first and until I went to hard boiled eggs, she wasn't making any progress. So, maybe try hard boiled eggs with boiled carrots until tender crisp that's been chopped up (parboiled). And maybe a couple of raw baby carrots as treats.

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next