It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Chicken is pretty bland and most people will start off on chicken. Melissa, the drumstick bone may be a little too much for him to handle at first. You can try whole wings (drumette + wing) so he gets used to the bone being there.

As for the quarters... sometimes the place I buy them from has HUGE ones. Other times they're teeny tiny. If they're really big (more thinking for Mishka and Seamus) I'll cut them in half. There is a "sweet spot" where if you cut it just right it slices like butter... Other parts and you get a serious workout! lol

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:41 pm

You're totally right about the drumstick being too much for him. When I saw him grab it I didn't know what to do. I just saw him with this big piece of chicken/bone in his mouth trying to swallow it so that I wouldn't take it away. I about fainted girl! Luckily I did the right thing and backed off...let him see that I wasn't going to take it...and then slowly grabbed it and held on for dear life! I was concerned about leg quarters being too big and look what happens! LOL! If his tummy takes to it well (which I think he should) then I'll try the drumette/wing) on purpose this time...LOL!!!

A serious workout..LOL!!!! When I buy the quarters I'll definitely be bugging you!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Naughty Kody! Hope his tummy does okay on it though. We'll find out soon enough!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Naughty Kody! Hope his tummy does okay on it though. We'll find out soon enough!

Baaaad Kody!
Melissa! - You need to watch that boy like a hawk! Rolling Eyes

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 pm

cmanding wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:

Baaaad Kody!
Melissa! - You need to watch that boy like a hawk! Rolling Eyes

I KNOW!!!!! It's horrible! I try so hard...it's like I have no life when I'm home. Every 2min...Kody NO...Kody COME...Kody LEAVE IT! In one ear and out the other! A few seconds I turn to the computer and look. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll keep you guys posted. Ughhh my lil Kody McKody the kodester...lol! He's too cute to get mad at!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I KNOW!!!!! It's horrible! I try so hard...it's like I have no life when I'm home. Every 2min...Kody NO...Kody COME...Kody LEAVE IT! In one ear and out the other! A few seconds I turn to the computer and look. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll keep you guys posted. Ughhh my lil Kody McKody the kodester...lol! He's too cute to get mad at!

I'm in the same boat!! Tonight at puppy class the exercise was "come when called", I would say his name and he ignored me. Couldn't even get his attention! So I said outloud, "I feel like Charlie Brown's teacher, 'Whaaa, wha, whaaaa, whaa'." When I used the voice of Charlie Brown's teacher his ears perked up and he listened to me. It really made me feel good... NOT!

Hope his tummy can take it and you're not up all night. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:41 am

SabakaMom wrote:
MelissaI wrote:

I'm in the same boat!! Tonight at puppy class the exercise was "come when called", I would say his name and he ignored me. Couldn't even get his attention! So I said outloud, "I feel like Charlie Brown's teacher, 'Whaaa, wha, whaaaa, whaa'." When I used the voice of Charlie Brown's teacher his ears perked up and he listened to me. It really made me feel good... NOT!

Hope his tummy can take it and you're not up all night. Crying or Very sad

So I take it the puppy class didn't go too well last night? LOL! Sorry I'm laughing, but what else is there to do...if not cry..lol. I'm looking into training for this little monster. Well he's not so little anymore! (7 months). He actually slept alllll night! I was shocked! He hasn't do done this ever I think. I got woken up at 545am by Mya crying at the bedroom door. She likes to sleep on the couch and we have to confine Kody to the room so unfortunately my princess has to cry at the door to come in. I try to get her to sleep in the room with us, but she's like nope. He pooped this morning and it was normal. Thank goodness!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:57 am

Yay Kody! Glad to hear the chicken did not upset his tummy! Very Happy

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 pm

MelissaI wrote:
So I take it the puppy class didn't go too well last night? LOL! Sorry I'm laughing, but what else is there to do...if not cry..lol.

Can I say that what he lacked in basic manners and self-control he made up for by being so handsome!! LOL

You're right...we gotta look on the positive side!!

Yay for no poop explosions last night!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Whew!
I'm happy chicken seems to be doing well with Kody's tummy!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Lisa, and boy is he handsome!!!!!!! These husky boys steal our hearts I love you

Val/Claudia, YAY and WHEW is right!!! I will start him on the drumettes in a few days and Mya too! I hope she likes it if not I'll have to try searing it for her.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 1:22 pm

BTW, I've read in a few other threads that with feeding raw you have to make sure that they're getting the necessary nutrients. So does me feeding him less HK daily still provide him with the nutrients he needs? I also give him omega 3 and vitamin E
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 2:51 pm

MelissaI wrote:
BTW, I've read in a few other threads that with feeding raw you have to make sure that they're getting the necessary nutrients. So does me feeding him less HK daily still provide him with the nutrients he needs? I also give him omega 3 and vitamin E

From the sounds of it you should be fine with the amount of HK that you are still feeding. The issue with unbalanced raw diets is when people feed only one protein and do not include bone and organ meats...particularly organ.

The difference here is that you have not switched to a PMR (prey model raw) diet completely. You are feeding a variety of raw meats along with a complete food. Pretty soon you will have some bone added in there as well and organ is really up to you. As long as you are feeding a moderate amount of HK you should not need to supplement bone and organ but it is fine (and better) if you do. Now if you were to stop feeding THK with his raw food then you would definitely need to make sure he is getting bone and organ along with his muscle meat.

PMR diet consists of 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ. It's not an exact science so don't fret over getting that exact 10%, just be sure to achieve balance over time and you'll be fine. It's not hard although a lot of newbies make it seem a lot harder than it really is.

I don't personally feed organ, mainly because it's nasty and my sibe cannot tolerate liver for some reason. I do however use dehydrated and freeze dried stuff like lamb lung and liver. In very small amounts my sibe can handle those. I also supplement stuff like Ziwipeak, Stella & Chewy's, and canned food regularly because they do contain organ meat which helps balance things out in the long run. For me that's a better and easier alternative to feeding organ meat. I'm not a true PMR feeder.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Awesome...thanks!!! I don't think I'll ever have them on full raw diet only so we should be ok =)
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptySat May 07, 2011 11:19 am

Just realized that I hadn't give you girls an update on Kody and his tummy issues. I guess you must have figured that since I hadn't said anything that he must be doing fine...which is the case..woohoo!

He's still on Embark, but I've cut it down to 1/2 cup instead of a cup and started mixing in some green beans, carrots, pumpkin, or banana. I was surprised that he did well with banana. I also started him on Orijen (fish) about 2 weeks ago and he's done well with that too! I just wanted some variety from the HK. I alternate between HK with a veggie or HK with some Orijen in the mornings.

He gets raw at night. I alternate between ground beef and chicken, but when I find the pork ribs on sale again (sale had ended when I went back) I'll definitely be trying those too!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptySat May 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for the update and I'm so happy to hear how well he's doing with all the changes! Very Happy

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Yay Kody!
I'm glad to hear he's doing well with a variety of foods!

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10