It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) Empty
PostSubject: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm

So Bode is a pretty well behaved 10 month old. He's had some mouthing issues like most huskies, but we worked through them pretty well. One issue though, we just can't seem to avoid. He likes to "punch" you in the face. It's not just when he's excited or playing, it's almost like he does it unconsciously. For example, we were cuddling on the bed the other day, and out of nowhere he gets me right on the face with his paw, left a nice scratch on my forehead. It's a hard action to describe, it's almost like he's trying to "pet" you back, and it's usually at the face. I've tried reacting to that like we did with bite inhibition (yelping, removing from the situation, etc...) but it doesn't seem to stick. Has anyone else dealt with something similar?
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Lucian likes putting his paw on your leg or arm when you are petting him. It's weird, lol. I have no idea why he does it. But I'm sure if I didn't pay attention to him like I do I would have gotten punched in the face. I've almost gotten it a few times, and he's got some big paws, lol.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Kay does this, so i don't lay near her, lol.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Saber used to put his paw on your bare leg or arm and if you didn't pay attention to him right away, he would slowly drag his paw down your arm/leg and leave red marks from his nails.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:56 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:

lol, I don't want to have to come to this! He's such a snuggle bug, then out of nowhere...BAM!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:06 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

lol, I don't want to have to come to this! He's such a snuggle bug, then out of nowhere...BAM!
Hahaha, well Kay will also jump and bite your face so....
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:25 pm

YES! Evie does this all the time. I blame the cat. He taught her to box! She also pokes us with her paws when she wants food, attention, anything! My legs have lots of scratches and I don't know how to break her of it either
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Loki Does it as well, I have so many scratches all over my body! He uses his hands all the time and those nails are sharp!
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Ours paw everything too! Kane likes to "box" by standing up on hind legs, and Halligan is a swatter. They're too funny, though. It's almost like they're using them as hands, even though they're feet.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm

O! I am having the same problem with my 3 month old! Was reading everything hoping someone gave some good advise on how to stop them from doing that. Also have a problem with her barking at me every time I get her food and water. Such a social dog!!
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:21 am

Murphy "punches" us as well. She mostly does it when she is in a playful mood. I would not react except to grab her paw anytime she did it and hold on- not hard, just enough that she didn't like it. She's figured out quickly that we don't like that kind of playing and has altered her behavior.

However she still punches Dolly, and the cats, and the laser pen, and blankets/pillows/couches... Its kind of adorable 'cause she squeaks when she does it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 am

Amy, as far as the barking when feeding, with my guys I make them sit before I empty the scoop in their bowl. If they start to make a noise, I hold the scoop closer to me and tell them "no" or "shhh". They plant their butt in front of their bowl and they are putty in my hands. Halligan likes to "dance" while I'm getting his food in the scoop, but he sits right down once I have the scoop loaded. He's usually the chatty one and will sometimes sass a little, but he's doing very well for us to have only had him 3 months.

Ginger, we grab Kane's paws too when he jumps up, and hold him up on his hind legs until he finally wiggles loose. Then he hops right back up again lol. We might have to try more of a squeeze to get the point across. Thanks for the idea!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:03 am

Sheba uses her paws like real arms, I swear. She will paw me when she is getting excited, she will paw Kennedy to entice her to play, she will paw me to get me to pet her, she will paw me when she wants to cuddle..she paws me ALL THE TIME! She is also a snout puncher. Punches me will her snout all the time. She is ridiculous. Love her to death though, so I just deal with it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:34 am

My girl used to do this in play - she would stand on my bed - the "boxing ring" - and we would box - it was a blast!!! would tap a paw and she would swat me with it - back and forth - so fun!!!!!! that was the only time she would do it......
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:34 am

It's not impossible to stop this behavior though. Nova likes to do the same sometimes. The frequency has diminished though, you just have to be really vigilant with denying cuddle/play time when it happens. Nova does this to me sometimes, and i've had scratches on my neck and arms because of it, but since we have begun teaching him its not proper, he does it less and less. It's pretty natural for them to want to paw during play and to show affection in some cases, you just have to be strong about showing the reason it's not allowed and in which cases.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 am

that is a great idea! She knows how to sit too. Been trying my best to train her as much as i can. I have been trying to do the ignoring thing with her. Every time she would bark at me i would put the food down and walk away. well..... her barks gets louder lol Then she wants to play... And then where goes my legs with her sharp puppy claws lol Sometimes it works some times it doesn't but I will try that! She hasnt really done the "punching" thing yet. But i see most of them have hat problem. So defiantly will keep this ideas in mind for when it comes around. Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Juneau does this too. RIGHT in the face lol. It's quite annoying. We'll be laying on the couch and BAM. She also does it when I hug my boyfriend! It's so weird. I think if it as jealousy or protecting, not sure lol. Haven't done it with a friend yet.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Every single morning she paws me in face to get up. Lol
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 pm

The same thing for Loki, When justin and I hug he jumps up and slaps us both until we stop unless he is incorporated in it! Getting used to the morning face slaps, too hard to dodge so early.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)   Excessive use of paws (in a bad way) Empty

Back to top Go down

Excessive use of paws (in a bad way)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1