It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 11:28 pm

...Wait, there was a King? Wink
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 12:01 am

K9_Eric wrote:
...Wait, there was a King? Wink

.....is now

but the queen is pretty cool too.

Even when she is a turd.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 12:02 am

Fair enough.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 11:38 pm

I am interested in purchasing the RuffWear Singletrak, has anyone used it?

I would like something small and lightweight for Meeka when we go for our hikes and small runs (yes I know running at early age is not recommend, but only doing in grass and slowly). All the other bags I seen from RW seem like for weekend hikes and just plain huge.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 1:38 am

I do like it. It's what my female has on in my signature picture. I also have the Palisade pack for her also.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 1:49 am

I am really interested in the Singletrack as well. The Palisades is nice but it seems like it will be overkill more often than not.

Claudia, how's the storage capacity in the Singletrack once the water bottles are in and full? What types of things can be fit in? I know the storage is by design much more limited.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 1:53 am

Jeff thanks for the quick reply on your Link thread.

Meeka is about to turn 6 months and at 26 inches at the biggest point. Medium starts at 28 inches. If I go wit the small I am hoping she doesn't grow those 2 extra inches too quick or I be ticked off...haha.

I am leaning toward the Singletrack over the Webmaster mainly since I only do running trails, nothing to really go over at the moment. If thats the case, what would you recommend Claudia?

My biggest factor is mainly for Meeka to carry her water and collapsible bowl like your female while I carry my waterpack. Our trails are only about 4-8 miles.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 1:55 am

We have the Approach pack and love it Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 2:05 am

Sure thing Alex.

The Approach Pack is tempting too. It seems to be the middle ground between the Singletrack and the Palisades in terms of storage capacity, but I'm only guessing based on pictures.

I think I saw a youtube video of the Singletrack and with full water bottles only a pair of sunglasses and some keys would fit into the storage. I would be interested in these plus treats, poop bags, and a collapsing bowl.

I would modify the small Webmaster we have now for a clip on pack but we can't actually have Link carrying things yet and by the time he is able too he'll probably need a medium harness. Silly puppy and his bone growth Wink
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 2:22 am

From what i see on your pictures the Approach might be a better fit for you over the SingleTrack. I just took a look at it and still seems overkill to me for small trails for me. Blah..being picky.

On another note, just picked up a RW Top Rope Dog Collar and a Slackline Leash.

Can someone smack some sense to me about either getting the SingleTrack in S or M haha, I have been stuck on the checkout page for a while. LOL.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 2:27 am

Yeah, I like simplicity. I will eventually be more interested in a backpack engaging Link mentally than in enabling him to carry legitimate loads for legitimate distances.

That said, the Singletrack, aesthetically, is just sexy. It's a great looking pack.

I too have been stuck on the checkout page with this pack in a checkout cart.....I might have to go to REI tomorrow because our first camping trip this weekend has given me the dog gear bug......

Last edited by seattlesibe on Tue May 28, 2013 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 2:28 am

My male has a small Approach - and still has room to expand.

Someone once told me they make packs for bear-dogs. LOL
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 2:33 am

Good to know Megan, thanks. I've only gotten feedback from people with adult females who are smaller than I suspect Link will be. Predicting his structural size is difficult enough, but then taking into account his coat development.......who knows what he'll need yet.

He is currently about 30% into his Small Webmaster harness.

Ha, a bear-dog. Oddly, that reminds me of another thread about 2 down in the active cue...... Wink
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 9:58 am

The Palisades pack on my male does have removable packs from the harness. The harness is essentially the Webmaster harness with quick release buckles for the packs. This makes is easier so that you can have the harness on while you are enroute to your destination. Then clip on the packs on (which would already have water, snacks, etc.) Trying to get a pack on when it's already packed is a little clumsy, which is why I LOVE the Palisades pack. The packs itself can also be cinched down a little if you're not carrying a whole lot so you can slim down the profile a little.

The Singletrack will only hold the collapsable water bottles, with not much room for anything else. Smaller items may be tucked in the pack, but not a whole lot.

My male in my signature sporting the Palisades pack is wearing a medium. He stands 26" tall (measured from ground to the base of his neck) and weighs 70 lbs.

My female with the Singletrack pack is 22" tall and is 50 lbs. She also has a small in the Palisades pack.

For trail running, the Singletrack would definitely be the option for a pack, in my opinion.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Thank you so much for the details Claudia and Megan.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 12:33 am

cmanding wrote:

My female with the Singletrack pack is 22" tall and is 50 lbs. She also has a small in the Palisades pack.

For trail running, the Singletrack would definitely be the option for a pack, in my opinion.

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but when measuring a dog for a pack do you all have the measuring tape nice and tight or slightly loose (if that makes sense)?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 12:42 am

Well the measurements for the pack sizes are the actual measure of the nylon straps in inches, a true measurement because the nylon is taught. So when measuring your pup it should be taught as well to get the true measurement.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 1:11 am

When you measure your dog's girth for packs, the tape measure should be too tight nor loose. Make sure you are not including fur/fluff, but don't make the tape measure tight as it'll be a false measure. The measurements given in inches for the pack size will fit the girth measurements in that range. If you are between sizes, I would size down. According to the measurements, my female and male would be medium and large. However, I ended up using my female's medium on my male, and selling the large that I bought for my male and bought a small for my female. For my female, the medium pack was cinched as tight as it would go and it was still too loose as it would shift from side to side.

Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 1:16 am

Claudia and Jeff, thanks for the feedback. So the size down issue is best for the straps also not to be hanging around loose everywhere?

Tight - Meeka measures at 24-25in
Regular - Meeka is at 26in around the ribcage.

The medium starts at 28 and goes to 34, so my concern is also that she fills out as she is only turning 6 months, next week.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 1:34 am

Ginger measures 26" in girth and is 50 lbs. She has a small in the Palisades and Singletrack pack with room to loosen up. She is about 6.5 yrs old.

The medium on Ginger cinched as tight as possible was still too loose and the packs would hand down past her underside, so even the packs were too big for her, in my opinion.

The Palisades pack in a medium as you see in my signature on Storm fits perfect. He's 70 lbs, 26" tall, and I don't have his girth measurement as he's sleeping right now. Smile

(The packs are smaller in the small compared to the medium.)

Hope this gives you a reference to sizing.

Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 1:40 am

It does, thanks again, will opt for the small Singletrak.

Buying stuff for our furry friends can get expensive in a hurry. Probably dropped more than a grand already in the last 4-5 months.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:07 am

Just to give you another reference, Storm is 31-32" in girth and has the medium Palisades pack on in my signature.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 1:00 pm

I went out to West Seattle yesterday to have lunch at one of my favorite breweries, and there is a pet store across the street that carries almost the entire Ruffwear lineup.

Link is a water loving dog and he gets wet...and dirty...a lot and I have been meaning to move away from a nylon collar and get a water/stain/stink proof one.

I picked up the Ruffwear Headwater collar in black, size Medium. Aside from the structural benefits of it for our purposes the great selling point on the Medium was that it fit Link at about the 20-30% mark, so he has plenty of room to grow into it. It is a bit bulkier than the puppy nylon collar he has grown up in so far but it isn't too bulky or cumbersome like some collars I've seen out there.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions or needs specific info about this collar lemme know and I can try to help you out.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 1:36 am

So I received Meeka's Singletrak today. Received it in small but the pack fits her super tight. Is that how it's supposed to be, I definately don't see the track moving around due to the tightness, I can baaaaarely put a finger in when the pack is on her (chest).

Considering going Medium. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ottawa76
Newborn
Newborn
ottawa76

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 9:33 am

Looking at the Palisades Pack for my dog. It seems he's at the small end of the medium. He's has a 28" girth and he's about 46lbs. From the comments above it sounds like I should get the small and not the medium?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?   Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever used Ruffwear products?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next