It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luna escaped

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 2:04 pm

This morning I took Luna for a walk. When we arrive next to the corner I was trying to pull her to come my way, next thing I know her leash came off. Luna took off. My heart sinked. She crossed the busy street without any caring for incoming cars. I chased her or tried to match speed for speed. She end up stopping and look back at me and she start running again.

I have Chronic asthma I know I couldn't match her speed, but for some reason I had the drive to keep running. She stopped again and I Pretend that I have a treat, she looked back and took off again. When she turned to another street I thought I was going to lose her, Fortunately she was walking/Sniffing around someone's front yard. I put the leash on her and walked back home. I was shaking on our back. Right when I got home the asthma attack happen.

Now we looking for a better leash now. I'm shocked I still don't know how the leash came off. She's not going to go out today or tomorrow until we do research on a better leash. I'm going to take a nap now, I've had enough Excitement to last me the whole weekend.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Oh god Junior, we know the feeling, Ripley slipped her collar once and I shook fore an hour. Its terrifying, but thankfully you and Luna weren't hurt or hit.
We double collar Rip now for safety's sake. Good luck finding new gear
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 2:13 pm

I think I'm done with buying gears from petco
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 2:22 pm

Its worth buying a quality leash and collar, pur leash was 35$ but man its heavy duty. The clips are super strong. We also make sure to have collars with no quick release clips, just in case, but that's a preference. We use the belt style
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Shocked I've been there too! With collars slipping off and leashes just un-clipping!

I swear by this leash and so do many others on the forum! I would never use another one IMO. It's $30, but very durable. I've had Mya and Kody's for 2 years.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Knot-a-Leash-Rope-Dog-Leash

Their collars are pretty reliable too. I use prongs to walk my pups so I'm able use a back up as well. I use a small dog coupler and attach that to their normal collar and the leash. Just IN CASE the prongs break they're still attached. I had Mya snap her prongs on last years camping trip!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Way it this type of leash clip?

Luna escaped  E92d9eeaf7a7c491f11baadf20fc5e1b

The same thing happened to me and I was informed it happens a lot with this type of clip.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 4:18 pm

That's so scary, I've had it happen before too, glad nothing bad happened to her (or you!)
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 4:19 pm

This is why I will never wear anything that isn't RW when walking the dogs unless (with the exception of my Alpine leash that I switched out with carbiners).
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Heather! wrote:
This is why I will never wear anything that isn't RW when walking the dogs unless (with the exception of my Alpine leash that I switched out with carbiners).

You switched it out with carbiners? The jogging leashes/mushers belt is one of my xmas gifts so I'll have to do that too!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah, the rope is "looped" I guess is the word, so I just undid it and replaced it with carbiners, even though the latches they had were fine. I like extra security.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Heather! wrote:
Yeah, the rope is "looped" I guess is the word, so I just undid it and replaced it with carbiners, even though the latches they had were fine. I like extra security.

Ummm, I'm totally with ya on the extra security! I'm soooooo paranoid! If I lose a pup I just might die. Seriously. Was was it easy to tie the rope back up securely?
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Both mine can slip out of their collars no matter how tight, so on walks they are always wearing their harness. I have done the chasing when Lucy got out of the door and I was scared out of my mind. Thank god she didnt get too far when she ran over to some kids playing and they grabbed her. I couldnt imagine having asthma and having that happen. Im so glad it didnt act up until you were home.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 6:06 pm

A very strong, relatively inexpensive six foot leash.
Buy seven feet of climbing webbing.
Tie a loop with an overhand knot in either end.
Put carabiner on one end and attach to collar.
Luna escaped  Dsc_2710
For collars, I would use a limited slip collar.
I've never had a dog slip out of one.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm so glad you got her back!!

Karli slipped out of the car on me when we were at outback (my hubby had taken the leash off of her and I had gone out to the car to check on her, I opened the door and she slipped out between the seat and the door) and my heart stopped. Thankfully, she just wanted to go over to the grassy area and run, so catching her wasn't too bad but man I was scared.

I bought her a new leash yesterday from our local feed store because she chewed through the last one. This one is thicker and stretchy.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 7:59 pm

26nikita wrote:
Way it this type of leash clip?

Luna escaped  E92d9eeaf7a7c491f11baadf20fc5e1b

The same thing happened to me and I was informed it happens a lot with this type of clip.

Yes that's it. My girlfriend told me she paid 8 bucks for it and its not the first time it happen.

Melissa, thanks. We are going to order it now. I'm praying to get it by next week. I've heard about ruffwear never thought about it until today.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Yeah, totally pitch that leash then. I have the ruff wear leash and Ezydog leashes. I like them both as well. No issues from either.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Melissa I ordered Knot-a-Collar and a leash today from ruff wear the purple one. I should get it on Wednesday or Thursday bounce
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Kizmat wrote:
Melissa I ordered Knot-a-Collar and a leash today from ruff wear the purple one. I should get it on Wednesday or Thursday bounce

Awesome! I'm going to order the knot-a-collar and leash for Mya in purple too! Smile She's had hers for a while. Well, technically she doesn't NEED it, but I like the new color..lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Luna escaped  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna escaped    Luna escaped  Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna escaped

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1