It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help bladder problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
snowcolt
Newborn
Newborn

Help bladder problem Empty
PostSubject: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 am

I have been keeping the huskies in a crate. Everytime they cry i take them out to use the bathroom. i went to take them out and they were covered in crap. yet again. :/.

any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 9:38 am

House breaking normally isn't an over night thing at the best of times.

You have just re homed two 5 week old puppies.... It is normal for them to be developing their bladders during this time period and not completely in control of themselves, crate confined or not.

Things I would be trying in your position:

How often are you taking them out to defecate or urinate? At 5 weeks old, and in the condition they were in (Sores), I would try and do it every 1 or at the MOST every 2.

Limiting their time outside at this point in time is also a decent idea so to do that it would be best if you did them one at a time so they do not go into play mode and instead focus of the elimination.

Quote :
Everytime they cry i take them out to use the bathroom.

Though you mean well, this isn't the best approach to the matter. In essence your are most likely training them that when they cry you will let them out of their crate or out the door. This isn't exactly what you want as it will come back to hit you full force in the face when they understand that.

Instead be PROACTIVE. Take them out yourself every hour or two and spend some time with them. It's not their fault you got them so young and if you have to loose some sleep over it that is truly the price that needs to be paid.

Wait them out. When they do go outside you need to wait until they at least urinate. Plopping them outside soonish after eating is also a decent idea as that is probably one of the most likely times they will defecate.

Quote :
i went to take them out and they were covered in crap. yet again. :/.

You got a long road to go on this one, sorry to say.

There are members on here that are still dealing with some form of house breaking at 3 or 4 months of age. You are expecting a lot from 5 or 6 week old pups.

Time is what you need here. Time, patience, and doing right by them.

~Chris~

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 9:59 am

You may want to create,some sort of enclosure or pen where there are 2 areas, one for sleeping and one for eliminating. That way they aren't learning its ok to use the crate as a bathroom.

Puppies this young you will have accidents.. probably quite a few. If you hear them crying or wrestling around, those are good times to take the puppies outside to potty. As well as after eating or drinking.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 am

Yeah, at 5 weeks, these dogs will have to go potty ever hour at the absolute least. They have absolutely no control of their bladder or BMs. These babies were probably not even weaned off mom's milk properly and could potentially be having a harder time with it all due to that.
Back to top Go down
snowcolt
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:27 pm

yea. i know. i wait a hour. take them out and they pee. but they only pee like a nickel sized spot

i wait until they are done play with them. let them get some time together then take them in. give them a treat praise them.

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:48 pm

They are probably going to pee irregularly and very very frequently the first 3-5 weeks. Until they are around the norm of 8-10, they will probably have a difficult time with having a predictable pattern. Both of mine had a dog door and learned to use it within a few days and that's the only reason it was a breeze for me, I didn't have to get up. Honestly if I had 5 week olds I'd probably do evry 20-30 mins.. PITA but better than pee all over,
Back to top Go down
snowcolt
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 pm

its not the pee part that is the problem. its the other..

is it safe to give another bath today?
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Baths are fine, just use a quality shampoo that doesn't strip the essential oils such as Earthbath and be gentle.
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 6:17 pm

safer then letting them sit covered in their own muck. if you don't allready make sure you have a soap free mild puppy wash. i'd just keep an eye on there skin and make sure all the baths aren't drying them out. You reall don't have a choice you have to get the poop off them . One of those catch 22's Smile
Back to top Go down
snowcolt
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:04 pm

yea. my mom went to the hospital last night because she was sick with a fever and her stomach was hurting. they gave her a shot and sent her home.

today they had to call a ambulance to come get her because she was in so much pain..

she is in the hospital every week its getting ridiculous.

she is having problems with her pancreas and they said nothing they can do.

she has no insurance. :/

Back to top Go down
snowcolt
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 pm

ok.. so from where i keep teddy(my poodle/jack russel/dashchund), which is the laundry room, when i first got the huskies i put them in there too. and they used the bathroom everywhere. when i say everywhere.. somehow it was on the walls too.

but anyways it stunk. hence the crates now. anyway to remove this smell? the floors are laminate. im afraid the house stinks and i cant smell it because im use to it and stay here 24/7. but thanksgiving is coming up.. so

any suggestions Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Try enzyme cleaner. You can get it at any pet store, and I've also heard vinegar works. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Help bladder problem 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:20 pm

When they go potty and come in, what type of treats are you giving them? With them being so young you should probably be taking them out 10-15 minutes after given a treat to have a BM as well. If possible it might be a good idea to hold off on treats and use praise instead until they are a little older and better able to hold their bms better.
Good luck! I do not miss this phase with puppies!!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:43 pm

I had Kale, who I got at 5 weeks as well, potty trained in 1 week and only had about 2 accidents in the house, both poopies. What I did was take him out every 30 mins, right after naps, after playing, after taking 3 sips of water, after eating, you name it, right after I took him out. I did NOT make it play time. I was also with him 24/7 till he was about 5-6 months(was able to bring him to my college classes with me). I took him out, gave him his potty command that I chose, and then went back inside. No playtime outside when it's potty time. I also got up at LEAST 3 times a night to let him potty, always on leash. I never let him roam around and explore. It was potty time and that was it. Crate training will help tremendously. Crate training can take weeks with some dogs.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
snowcolt
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm

ok thanks for the info. maybe i can do this.

all the animals..

my brother picked up a american bully last night and he works 12 hour shifts.. guess who has her during the day...
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 10:05 am

It may seem like a lot, but always remember, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Your tunnel may be longer than some others', but your reward will be just as much sweeter! Smile

Keep us posted on their progress.
Back to top Go down
snowcolt
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 5:07 pm

they are weeks old today!

one used the bathroom in his crate last night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help bladder problem   Help bladder problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Help bladder problem

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1