It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hair hair and more hair!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

Female Join date : 2010-01-13

Hair hair and more hair!!! Empty
PostSubject: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Ok so Rodney seems to shed more than Jax did and I find huge clumps of hair just laying around the house. I was wondering what everyone does to help keep the house as hair free as possible. ( I know that's asking for a miracle with a husky). It seems we buy a new vacuum every 6 mnths or so and last night I was noticing ours was kinda smelly like something was burning and it wasn't picking up the hair well so I guess its time for a new one. I do use a shop vac around the house and do the baseboards and stairs and furniture etc but that's time consuming and I try to vacuum once a day!!!

Does anybody have a suggestion which vacuum does the best for your buck?

Thanks,
Christine
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 4:32 pm

i just use the bissell from walmart was like $60 and you can clean the filters out and it is bagless, i just gave up on the hair balls and i look at them till i have time to vac them up. i tryed really hard at the start and realized it was usless and i would never win! good luck!

Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 4:44 pm

only reason I vacuum daily is b/c the baby... She is walking now which is a huge plus and she isnt crawling around in it now.. Ha! I also only vacuum the living room daily!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 5:20 pm

I vacuum every day, everywhere. Two big things I would point out would be:

1. Vacuums subjected to this level of abuse need regular maintenance like your typical vehicle. This includes washing the canisters, clearing all filters, disconnecting hoses and flushing them, replacing belts even when they're not broken, clearing debris wrapped around the bristles and stuff like that. Some of it is weekly, some daily, and some of it is based on visible assessments of appropriate parts.

2. The cheap vacuums have failed me within one year many times. We have since given up on the <$100 category of vacuums. If you check around dutifully you can find $130+ vacuums on sale for around $100. This is the type of deal I will be looking for this year. We bought a Bissell pet hair eraser after our wedding in fall 2008. My best guess is it fails to the death sometime this summer. But I consider two years an acceptable life considering our use. Still can't bring myself to spend Dyson money. That's my breaking point for a product that I KNOW other people don't use the way I do.
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 pm

I do #1. :-) I actually shop vac my vacuum and I know it looks funny but I end up vacuuming out hair balls from my hose. hahah!

I read up on the pet hair eraser by Bissell and looks interesting... May go pick one up tonight! :-)

We will not spend money on the dyson either just b/c we put so much wear and tear on our vacuums...

Thanks for the help!!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 5:37 pm

The man has six sheddy dogs... he knows his stuff.

Hair hair and more hair!!! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 5:44 pm

I was really digging the felt strip that picks up pet hair and feeds it to the brush :-)
Back to top Go down
Catherine
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:11 pm

LOL how many times have I seen this discussion on husky forums hehe I'm afraid it goes with the territory called husky owning. I have sussed the best form of flooring is NO CARPETS we have wooden floors and ceramic tiles with just one big rug in the lounge. I still have to hoover daily sometimes twice daily but the fur just floats around on the floors and is very easy to pick up with the vaccum. Harrise is very correct though - maintenance of your vaccum is key Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 11:36 pm

My vacuum is the ONE thing I am VERY proud of- I do have a Dyson, it's the DC25 Animal. I use to work for Best Buy, and it does retail for over $500 but when you worked at Best Buy you get everything at cost- so what the store purchases it for, you pay. I got this baby for $270 right after I picked Koda up, a month before quitting BB. Best decision of my life! My mom and dad bought the nicer All Floors vacuum for $185.

But Koda doesn't shed unless he is blowing, and last year he had clumps, this year I could brush things off him but it wouldn't just come out when I pulled on his hair. His fur is really short now though so that may be why. Sad I can not vacuum for 2 months and just be able to empty it twice max.
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:15 am

wow!! I vacuum daily and empty several times. How long have you had the dyson?

I did just buy the Bissell pet hair eraser and love it so far, Hopefully it will last longer then the rest!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:36 am

I bought it in June of 2008, but I only started using it in August of 2009. I bought it for when my fiancee and I moved out together. His mom was into drugs so there was no way I was gonna leave my near $600 vacuum near her (many people here can tell you it's a good thing I didn't!)! I'm not sure the lack of emptying needed has to do with how good the vacuum is, though, like I said Koda just doesn't seem to have had a bad blowing season this winter, I never found a clump of hair just randomly rolling around- he only has massive amounts of hair come out when I used the furminator and I had it to where I had the vacuum right where it'd catch the fur I brushed! I really do love this vacuum though. I plan on having another 2 huskies (or 8, who knows) so I'm sure I'll need it!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 4:31 pm

jaxypooh wrote:
wow!! I vacuum daily and empty several times. How long have you had the dyson?

I did just buy the Bissell pet hair eraser and love it so far, Hopefully it will last longer then the rest!

we just bought the eraser and i have used it only once so far and i was happy with it and the cool spining attachment i used on the dog beds, it was great!

Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I bought the Eureka 4D two years ago. It works well, but the filter needs to be cleaned each time and I empty the cup probably 10 times each session. With three, which it seems we have always have had three, Huskies, I can not bring myself to spend big $$ on a vacuum. I spent $130 on this one, and I think it was a good buy.
Our friends who have a husky mix did buy the Dyson. They like it.
I cannot believe how badly Nanuk is blowing this year! OMG! I was using the furminator last night outside, and our poor neighbor was getting "snowed on" with hair! Sisi isn't so bad, being a smoother coated sort, and Mika isn't shedding really at all (yet!) but Nanuk looked as if he'd lost 10 lbs. by the time I was done with him last night! It will be 3 years in June that we got him, and for some reason, this year seems to be especially hairy!
Good luck with the vacuum hunting.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Windy afternoons are the best time to brush these dogs. It's so windy today that there's no chance the hair will land within half a mile of here.
Back to top Go down
myhusky
Newborn
Newborn
myhusky

Male Join date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 pm

We have a dyson and it picks up every bit of hair it comes across, it's fantastic. We have an dyson upright and a dyson handheld to do the couches and stuff with. We only got them because my partner works for Harris Scarfe and he was able to get them for half price. We've had them for over a year and they are still working perfectly.

But I was actually wanting to ask about clothes. Has anyone found an effective way to get husky hair off of clothes? Ive heard about these Velcro balls that you put in the washing machine but I haven't been able to find any.
Back to top Go down
http://myhusky.com.au
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:51 pm

i have just accepted the hair on my clothes even the clean ones! i just use a pet lint roller when i get to the office but thats about it. we use Bounce dryer bars in the dryer and i have heard bounce helps repel dog hair, ours don't come out with that much hair on them only if i had just washed the dog beds and blankets. other wise i think it gets most of the hair off.

Newborn
Newborn
myhusky

Male Join date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Our clothes come out of the washing machine covered in hair. I've pretty much had to stop wearing dark clothes, but my partner has to wear suits to work. It's become an endeavor every morning to get all of the hair off of his jacket.
Back to top Go down
http://myhusky.com.au
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Vacuum your clothes before work? I used to do that when my sibe was shedding, now I just don't care anymore and wear the fur on my clothes proudly. Lint brushes and those rubber fur picker uppers never really cut it for me but my vacuum did. Another idea is to blow your clothes out with a high velocity dryer, I do this too and it works great and is super fast. Very Happy

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:26 pm

myhusky wrote:
Our clothes come out of the washing machine covered in hair. I've pretty much had to stop wearing dark clothes, but my partner has to wear suits to work. It's become an endeavor every morning to get all of the hair off of his jacket.
maybe its time for a new washer and dryer? have you run an empty load to just rinse it out? have you cleaned out your lint area in the dryer behind the thing that catches all the lint? maybe its clogged so it is not pulling the hair off your clothes? even if i leave the house clean of hair that still leave the car and that always has some kind of hair in it! im not safe anywhere. even on vacations the hair follows us!

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:43 pm

jbealer wrote:
even if i leave the house clean of hair that still leave the car and that always has some kind of hair in it! im not safe anywhere. even on vacations the hair follows us!

So true! My car is always covered in dog hair (even after I vacuum because it comes off my clothes) and back when I worked there was always dog fur all over my desk chair, desk, keyboard, etc. Small price to pay. Smile
Back to top Go down
JackPDB
Newborn
Newborn
JackPDB

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Yeah, it's going to happen, and regular vacuuming really is the only way to deal with it. We brush Katya probably less often than we should, because it just seems futile, after a while. Thankfully, she has no interest in getting up on the furniture; now, if only we could convince our son to top sitting on the floor...
Back to top Go down
JackPDB
Newborn
Newborn
JackPDB

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Oh, but wait: it gets better. In addition to the Husky, who leaves white hair everywhere, we've got three cats. And the only one of the three who sheds is -- you guessed it -- the black one. So whetehr you're wearing dark colors or light, in our house, you're going to end up with SOMETHING visible on your clothes.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:11 am

Ha...yeah i understand. The sibe has white fur that other dog has dark brown AND white fur. The sibes fur floats around and my other dogs fur sticks to EVERYTHING..i'm pretty much vacuuming every day..especially with the hardwood floors and the fur "tumbleweeds"
Back to top Go down
acg85
Newborn
Newborn
acg85

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

Has anyone tried that pledge fabric sweeper thing? It's supposed to be a super lint brush that has a plastic dome to keep all the hair. Wondered how well that works?
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:43 am

it works pretty well, i use it on my bed covers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hair hair and more hair!!!   Hair hair and more hair!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hair hair and more hair!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1