It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hair cut Question. Need Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kitaewan
Newborn
Newborn
kitaewan

Male Join date : 2013-01-12

Hair cut Question. Need Help! Empty
PostSubject: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Hello,
I need to hear some advices about the hair cutting of Siberian Husky.

According to my research, Cutting husky's hair is not recommended because hair will not be developed properly if husky got hair cut.
And I was not going to cut my husky's hair, but one lady from our local grooming service said Husky will not have any problem with hair cutting. She has groomed dogs for 50 years, and she also said Bloomington, IN(where I live now) has more humidity than other indiana area during the summer season, so my husky might be suffered from that humidity.
Well, I do not really agree with that because I want to keep my husky's hair....
So I really need to get some advices from husky owners !!
please help me!
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 4:53 pm

Taken from http://www.shca.org/shcahp2c.htm
Coat
The coat of the Siberian Husky is double and medium in length, giving a well-furred appearance, but is never so long as to obscure the clean-cut outline of the dog. The undercoat is soft and dense and of sufficient length to support the outer coat. The guard hairs of the outer coat are straight and somewhat smooth-lying, never harsh nor standing straight off from the body. It should be noted that the absence of the undercoat during the shedding season is normal Trimming of whiskers and fur between the toes and around the feet to present a neater appearance is permissible. Trimming the fur on any other part of the dog is not to be condoned and should be severely penalized. Faults: Long, rough, or shaggy coat; texture too harsh or too silky; trimming of the coat, except as permitted above.

Huskies do fine warm weather as along as they have access to freah water and shade. There are plenty of people on this forum who have huskies in the South where the humidity is killer

Last edited by eander83 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hit send instead of preview)
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 4:54 pm

DO NOT CUT OR SHAVE A SIBERIAN, unless it's for medical reasons and then only take the bare minimum. Siberians do not have a lot of pigment in there skin and are easily sun burned and increased risk of cancer when exposed to sun. Siberians are very adaptable to a multitude of climates, not just cold climates. Their guard hair is designed not only to keep them warm in the winter, but to cool them in the summer. If the guard hair is cut it does not grow back appropriately and loses it's functionality. Please do not cut your siberians hair it serves no purpose to do so...no matter what a groomer tells you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 4:55 pm

I would recommend against it. Their hair acts as insulation for both hot and cold.. which is what a lot of people don't realize.
We have extreme amounts of humidity up here and it has never bothered ours. I would not cut/shave at all and thank the woman for her opinion but no thanks. Its not going to hurt them. There are very healthy huskies all over the world with all different climates, no reason your town would necessitate a haircut for Yuki.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:01 pm

I agree with what Lani, Kelly and others have said.. They can get sunburned and skin cancel if skin is exposed to the sun for too long. Mine love the heat of the summer temps in the 100's the last two years and Blaze will sunbath for about 20 minutes at a time during the heat.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:10 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
DO NOT CUT OR SHAVE A SIBERIAN, unless it's for medical reasons and then only take the bare minimum.

DON'T CUT OR SHAVE THE HAIR!!!!

thank you for asking before doing it.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

No!!!! Odin was shaved before I adopted him and the battles with his skin and coat are endless!!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Question??....is there a reason you need to cut/shave the fur?
If not...then leave it alone...there's really no reason to do it, unless it's for a health reason.
Back to top Go down
kitaewan
Newborn
Newborn
kitaewan

Male Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Thank you very much.

I am so glad that I asked about this before I go to groom her.

Thank you-all again.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 am

Amazing how long a person can work at a job not knowing whet they r doing! Yup just walk away with a no thanks! I don't live far from you. Hello fellow Hoosier Husky! Yukon is gorgeous!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hair cut Question. Need Help!   Hair cut Question. Need Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hair cut Question. Need Help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1