It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky "Teenage Phase"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

Husky "Teenage Phase" Empty
PostSubject: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:14 am

Ok so Iv heard horror stories..when does this start and when does it end lol Thunder is 6 months and was a terror for the past two and is just starting to calm down, I am afraid now it will start all over lol.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:20 am

Enjoy the quiet while it lasts, Tika started getting snotty around 10 months, and she sort of hasnt stopped yet......shes now 1.5 years. Get ready for the activity levels to skyrocket as well. Someone in another post mentioned, the 8-10 month mark is when a lot get placed in shelters because people cant take the activity needs and handle the character. It will calm down, we are still dealing with some of if, but thankfully she seems to realise when the time and place is a bit more.
Good luck!
Kelly

Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:47 am

Good Luck, One of mine is 14months and a holy terror. If she can be naughty or get in trouble she does it, while my older one sits back and just wants to lay there. LOL
I really is amazing how much they are like little toddlers and teenagers all at once. They need stimulation and exercise and with the changing seasons seems to come that extra energy while we seem to have less. LOL
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 12:20 pm

The "teenage phase" can generally be described during the ages of 6 months up to 2.5 years (some last longer some aren't very long). Some dogs will only be in it for a few months sometime between that time and others will be in it for the entire time. A good practice to get in the habit of is upping the amount of training and exercise the dog is getting during this time.

Bella hit her "teenage years" at around 8-10 months and lasted until she was about 1 year and 3 months.

Husky "Teenage Phase" Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Don't forget that also for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, we are either experiencing or will soon experience some cooler temperatures. That also brings on a surge of energy for these "snow lovers". That in conjunction with the teen months = lots of hard work!

I like to say that I did not considere Sabaka to be a decently behaved member of our family until he was about 18 months old.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 1:28 pm

you may get 2 months of quite till it starts back up. this time instead of being a cute puppy you will now have a very "mouthy" teenager to deal with! hang in there! we adopted Jack at 1.5yrs so we just missed the faze, like i said in that other post the 10month-2yr mark is the age most of our rescues are. that is when people go OH MY GOD i can't handle this dog any more and in the shelter they go Sad if people would do homework and expect this and take the challenge on a lot less huskies would end up in shelters. like others have said, lock up anything you care about, work on that crate training, up the mental training, and get out walking, dog parks. remember a tired husky is a good husky. but when they are still under that 1yr mark you don't want to be running them unless your at a dog park and they are running when they want, they are still growing.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 1:47 pm

I agree with everybody! Kody just turned 2 in August and has calmed down a bit, but little Ms. Asia is about to be 1 on Sunday (or so we think) and Shocked Shocked Shocked is all i have to say!!! Mya calmed down at about 3 years old so I guess it all depends on the dog.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Oh boy.. Yuki is only 11 weeks. Looks like I've got so much to look forward to! Luckily she's already crate trained during the night and she's not very destructive, yet. XD Good luck with Thunder, I wish you the best Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Hayden is turning a year on the 28th and honestly I've not had it really bad with him (I was expecting way worse). Every now and then he'll act up when he's not had proper exercise (rainy days mostly). For the most part I've lucked out with him and got it pretty easy.

Nicky on the other hand is a completely different story! She just turned 6 months and I'm in utter shock how different she is from Hayden! She is literally hell on wheels and a non-stop ball of energy! The only thing that will calm her down some what is training. I've literally had her at the dog park where she is running 3 plus hours and is still ready to party. She is my wild child Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:19 pm

I think Thunder is like your Hayden, he only acts up on rainy days when he is stuck in. Yes he just turned six months and I pray he is one of the rare "Good Boys" , he is just now getting the idea of potty training and cutting back with the mouthing peoples arms/jumping on them.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:20 pm

I keep hearing not to run a husky under 1, is taking them for long walks ok if there is little running?
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Those horrible teen days! Lol, Lycus got into his at 7 months and it hasn't even slowed down! He's 10 months now and he's been getting a little mouthy. Although, I have been correcting him each time and it's getting better and better but his stubbornness to disobey hasn't haha. Shocked
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Ashleymarie9807 wrote:
I keep hearing not to run a husky under 1, is taking them for long walks ok if there is little running?
what is a long walk and is the little running done on grass and dirt or the sidewalk/road?

Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Balon is 8 months and he is really pretty calm, he gets the zoomies about once a day and outside he and Ruby go to run off the extra energy. Honesty he has been far easier to raise (except for his peeing issues no fault of his own) then the lab was! She was a holy terror when little. He is an angel compared to her. He listens way better too lol.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 6:10 am

Embry was always really calm, we never had too bad of an issue with him. Zoey was a terror from 7months to 1.5years. Ares, don't even get me started Husky "Teenage Phase" 85993 He's 9 months now and the almighty terror lately. But I shouldn't jinx it since he's finally sleeping and not being annoying..
Back to top Go down
Buddywoof
Newborn
Newborn
Buddywoof

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Well for my Buddy.. hes under 1yo but i bring him out running all d time. When hes had enough he jus sits his butt down gives me he 'look' and refuses to walk any further.... :-P ....
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:54 am

Little running, 45 min walk around a park(Both grass and dirt paths) with about 5 min of running(I can't run longer than that with him because he starts to trip me)
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:55 am

Buddy, Im pretty sure the not running thing is because there joints are not fully formed and you can cause more harm then good.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Forget the past two months, this is nothing compared to what will come in a fe wmonths Very Happy All I can say is hang in there, althoughh it seems like the nightmare never ends it does Very Happy.-

No long runs until his joints are fully formed, no matter if it is grass, dirt or any other ground.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:22 am

My little guys is going through this phase right now! He's 9 months old, and I'd say we started to notice the change about 6 weeks ago. Not to mention, we live in New England, so the cooler temps have really pup some added pep in his step! He just loves being outside! Can't wait to see how he is in the snow! The best advice (which comes from this site of course) is to stay on top of his training and exercise. We've been doing that, and it is definitely making a positive difference for us.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 am

Anna will be 8 months next month! Wish me luck:)

Edit: My boyfriend seems to be in denial. He doesn't believe she will be bad. Hahah. Guess only time will tell!
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:59 am

Well I can honestly say it is not just a husky thing..I have a cat who just turned one in august..He has been a terror since 7 months old, you literally can not have any photos or anything breakable out because he will be a jerk and purposely swat it onto the floor..He broke about 300$ worth of frames,vases,statues..Now he gets kenneled at night..I can only imagine what he would be doing if he was not De-clawwed(Not my decision to do was my husband and terms of our apt).
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Every animal goes through an adolescence phase just like every human child.

The "terrible twos" will definitely come and you will definitely notice and know when they get there. Even a "mild" adolescence will be noticeable from their normal behavior that you've become accustom to over the passed X amount of months. :p

Adolescence also doesn't solely mean destruction either - but it is mostly defined by it. (You'll see a noticeable change in temperament and personality [pushing boundaries is what most people think of and what comes to mind]). Many people also assume their dogs begin to do things out of spite at this time ( ie "I started using timeouts and upped his training and he started destroying the house" lol)

Husky "Teenage Phase" Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Haha Cloud is 7 months and I believe he's already in his teenage phase, he's just a plain brat. Yuki's already a brat though so I don't even wanna see her in her teenage phase Razz
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Well I guess the plus is I used to work at a daycare and the twos were my favorite. I used to work solely with them. So maybe this won't be that bad. Twos are just so much fun in my mind. Hahah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky "Teenage Phase"   Husky "Teenage Phase" Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky "Teenage Phase"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next