It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 6:50 pm

We took Luna (she's 11 weeks) cross country last week, from California to New Hampshire in a U-Haul and she did wonderful. She slept the majority of the time and was never crated. She just sat on a lap. But it really all depends on your dog I would think, our girl falls asleep as soon as the A/C turns on and doesn't wake up until the car stops!
Back to top Go down
jlabbe1123
Newborn
Newborn
jlabbe1123

Female Join date : 2012-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 8:53 pm

We've been traveling with our pups since we got them while my husband was in the Navy. We did a lot of SC to ME & then some cross country SC to WA & WA to IN. We just lay a comforter in the back seat and make sure to have a cooler with some food & water. Our pups didn't need any extra stops other then when we had to pee or get gas is when they got out and they were perfectly fine. At home they can make it X amount of hours without going so they should be able to make it at least that long in the car. Ours would sleep about 90% of the trip so it all depends on how your pup does with long car rides but the only way to know is to go on one! Ours go crazy for short car rides like 20-30 mins wanting to look & smell everything and always has the head out the window but after that they settle in and go to sleep which is awesome! I'd give it a shot and then you will know for later trips!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 3:20 am

Thanks! Yeah, I take Juneau to work every day and it's a 5 minute commute. She goes crazy the entire time lol. She's pretty sleepy for the trip back to home, though. Maybe I have a sleeper. Razz She's definitely a fan of the AC.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 4:07 pm

I took Snow and Finnick from Orlando to West Virginia (22hrs) and back three days after we adopted Finn. We ended up renting a van instead of using our car though. Two huskys and a 2 year old in the back seat of a truck would not of been a good idea haha. We folded all but one of the seats down and they had full access to walk around the van. They slept most of the way though.
We only fed them a little bit during travel days, and I have an app on my iPad that gives me a list of close dog parks, so we took several detours. With Finn being so new we didn't let him off the leash at the parks, but nevertheless, it was good for them to get out and stretch. (and make new friends in different states!)
My vet suggested half of a Dramamine pill to help if they were stressed out, but we didn't need it.

Good luck with your trip!!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 4:48 pm

We do 5 hour trips with ours pretty regularly. That's as far as we go, because that's the distance my parents are. They mostly just sleep or talk to us. We make several stops though, because when Rio gets bored, she likes to try and jump out the windows. LOL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2