It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? Empty
PostSubject: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Hello all,

Happy Friday (yes I know it's the 13th). Happy Pay Day for me. I did look for a thread that is posted about this topic, but I couldn't find one.

I have a delimma coming up next month. I am taking a trip from Houston to the top of Illinois to be with family and friends for a few days. I would love to take my Husky with me. Unfortunately, I have non-pet friendly cars - a 2010 Camaro and a 2012 Mustang (she does ride in the passenger seat with me in my Mustang - YES, the airbag is turned off because she is light). After this trip though, my bf wants to trade in Camaro for a Jeep Grand Cherokee for hiking/beach/camping trips. Perfect for Juneau.

So I was thinking about bringing the kennel and setting it in the backseat. I'd give her a few bullysticks and fill a kong. Do you think I should take her? I've never taken a dog for a trip that long before. Of course we'll stop and let her pee every hour or whenever she starts whining to go potty. I'd take her to hang out at my moms (in Illinois) with her two dogs (two soft coated wheaten terriers - same size as Juneau at 11 wks old). I feel that she would get stressed out with not seeing me and my bf for a week. I've usually left my dogs in care of a family member/friend, but they were way older. She will be 14-15 weeks when we leave for the trip.

Any thoughts/feedback are appreciated.

Thank you!

-Jackie Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:35 pm

im not sure i could handle Jack in the car that long...... But i know Kim took Demon and Dakota cross country with them for their wedding so im sure she has some pointers!
if she is good in the car and you take all the breaks it should be fine, just keep her leashed at all stops!

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:40 pm

jbealer wrote:
im not sure i could handle Jack in the car that long...... But i know Kim took Demon and Dakota cross country with them for their wedding so im sure she has some pointers!
if she is good in the car and you take all the breaks it should be fine, just keep her leashed at all stops!

Absolutely! (I hope she chimes in Smile ) I always have Juneau leashed! I don't trust her lol. I hear about all of these huskys escaping. Razz Yeah she's pretty decent in the car as long as she has something to chew on. I take her with me to work everyday which is a 5 minute commute. She's starting to get used to it. She isn't kenneled when I take her, though. She sits in a blankie with the AC blasting on her. Smile

I'm sure as the weeks go by, she'll get used to it. I just didn't know if she'd hate being balled up all day.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:48 pm

I would take my two on a long trip of course mine are a bit older than yours;

If you stop for the night make sure you get a pet friendly motel.

I don't think I would feed her lot non the ride won't want her to get car sick.

You can ask your vet about maybe giving her something to help keep her quiet.

I would bring extra leashes and collars incase something happens to one.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm soooo right there with you! I have a 2010 mustang GT and a 50 lb husky that we moved 12 hours away from home. It wasn't too bad! I covered my back seat with several comforters and sheets and made a very plush bed for him to lay on and he was fine. Yes, mine usually sit in the front seat as well. Indy hates the back seat, and the pup has to be right there with me (working on that). So I definitely understand your dilemma. Just make sure you take plenty of potty breaks to help stretch her legs and let her potty. She going to need to stop about every 1.5-2 hours since she's still young. Also, take some peanut butter filled Kongs and freeze them, or freeze water in them. They last a while and entertain my pups well! Take into consideration the potty breaks and stops into your travel itinerary. It's going to lengthen your trip, so be prepared for that or anything that pops up. Also, before you leave, make sure you play with her a lot to tire her out so she's not bouncing around and stressed at the very beginning! If you need any more help, just ask!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Wait, you're getting rid of the Camaro?! affraid

I have a 2011 that I love and Ghost hates. I think it's the engine noise. With the Mustang and the Camaro I can understand the need for a utility car, but I'd get rid of the Mustang Razz

We did a huge road trip from FL to Cleveland, then over to Chicago, then back to FL over New Years, and our dogs did just fine. I'd wear her little butt out good the day before, and then just keep her occupied with chewies on the trip. We stopped about every 3-4 hours on our trip, but Ghost was also considerably older than Juneau at the time. I'd say definitely stop every couple of hours and have plenty of water for her since it will be hot. We also got seatbelt harnesses for our dogs so they couldn't escape. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:55 pm

We took maggie on a car ride at 11-12 weeks old. She did fine. Ours was only 8 but it still was a long time for her. We did stop every hour to let her out. She actually was potty trained by then. I will be driving from california to colorado little over 2 weeks. It is about 23 hours with Maggie!
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:21 pm

I don't see why it would be a problem as long as you're willing to make the necessary stops for her. We drove back to CT last September in hubbys F150 with both dogs (aged 2.5 years). Granted it's a much bigger vehicle than a Camaro (jealous btw!) but we just turned the back into a luxurious dog condo and put a water dish on the floor and made sure they had something to chew on. It was a 3-day trip out there as we stopped each night and the pups were amazing. They mostly slept in the car as long as it was moving. We kept the leashes easily accessible but not attached to them all the time and we never had an issue with them trying to escape, but they're good about that anyway. Sometimes I think the motion of the vehicle is a sedative for them. Cool

I think we found every rest area between CO and CT Smile. We stopped to let them pee and to let them (and us) stretch.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:25 pm

I just got done taking Khuno (16 months old though) on two 14 hour car rides. he did fine except for the lack of air conditioning.

I had to get a new car for the dog as well... i had a 2003 honda s2000, a 1996 saturn SC2... I still have both of them.. but i also have a 2004 subaru STi now that i got for khuno...

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? 7563313060_3c4f43f7e2_z

from our trip to Chicago last week Smile

Khuno loves having his own door... my other two cars are two doors.. the s2k is a two seater... which with the girlfriend and the dog doesn't work out haha

Last edited by Gilly on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Another option is to rent an SUV for those days - and then really, really vacuum it before you return it. Wink
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Gilly wrote:
I just got done taking Khuno (16 months old though) on two 14 hour car rides. he did fine except for the lack of air conditioning.

I had to get a new car for the dog as well... i had a 2003 honda s2000, a 1996 saturn SC2... I still have both of them.. but i also have a 2004 subaru STi now that i got for khuno...

Me too! I sold my 03 S2000 for a dog friendly Element. Smile Chili HATED the s2000 - which I had for his first 6 months with us.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:28 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Gilly wrote:

Me too! I sold my 03 S2000 for a dog friendly Element. Smile Chili HATED the s2000 - which I had for his first 6 months with us.

cool! here's my s2k with the sti... now that i have the sti, i'll be making the s2k into a dedicated track car...

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? 223871_857052208395_1472327235_n

we picked up khuno for the first time in the honda:

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? 382697_743615765935_1567659071_n

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? 198794_705585463965_7092152_n

two days later it was a 7 hour car ride back to baltimore from buffalo haha (picked him up on the way to my parents house and my niece's 3rd bday party hehe)
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Nice STi! We just got a 2012 about 3 weeks ago, hatchback to accomodate dogs and carseats (not yet, but in the next couple years). Ours is rally blue as well, but with the silver rims. Aaron is toying with trying to find gold ones, but for now the only modification he's made is changing the stock exhaust for a cat back.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Oooh, I love your S2000! What all are you planning on doing to it? Cars are definitely my thing! Very Happy

This is mine. Still my DD, so not much done other than catless axelback exhaust, off-road x-pipe, programmer w/custom tune, wheels, tires, lowering springs, tint, HID's, tinted taillights and fog lights and plasti dipped my GT emblems. I'm waiting to have a custom built motor w/forged internals, headers, cams, and I really want a Procharger F1c... The list goes on... Wouldn't mind doing an LS swap lol!

This is my baby after my dogs lol!

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? Fd61d5a2

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? 4c6aa38e-1

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? 1e6d82f5-1

That's the car we rode in (Indy and I) for 12 hours. It wasn't too bad, but I won't be doing it again lol. The renting an SUV is a genius idea! Sometimes Enterprise has amazing deals!
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:49 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Nice STi! We just got a 2012 about 3 weeks ago, hatchback to accomodate dogs and carseats (not yet, but in the next couple years). Ours is rally blue as well, but with the silver rims. Aaron is toying with trying to find gold ones, but for now the only modification he's made is changing the stock exhaust for a cat back.

did he get a tune after the catback? you might want to look into a Cobb access port and put an off the shelf tune on it... so it will run better after adding the exhaust. Not sure how much it matters in the 2012... i know in my 04 it made a huge difference.. you couldn't do anything without a tune on it.
shaina&indy wrote:
Oooh, I love your S2000! What all are you planning on doing to it? Cars are definitely my thing! Very Happy

This is mine. Still my DD, so not much done other than catless axelback exhaust, off-road x-pipe, programmer w/custom tune, wheels, tires, lowering springs, tint, HID's, tinted taillights and fog lights and plasti dipped my GT emblems. I'm waiting to have a custom built motor w/forged internals, headers, cams, and I really want a Procharger F1c... The list goes on... Wouldn't mind doing an LS swap lol!

That's the car we rode in (Indy and I) for 12 hours. It wasn't too bad, but I won't be doing it again lol. The renting an SUV is a genius idea! Sometimes Enterprise has amazing deals!

oh gosh the list is too long! I LOVE THE COLOR or your mustang..

AND so i don't hijack this thread with car stuff.. i'll start a new off topic thread Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm

He researched it, and apparently he doesn't need a tune.

We'll have to chat more in the car thread Cool

Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 pm

My car is smaller than those. I have an 06 saturn ion coupe 2 door with suicide doors. maggie just spreads out over the whole back seat. We do have an honda civic 4 door she goes in. We also do have an F-150 though she isn't allowed inside it. It is a 4 door as well. We have a crate for the back and we want to put a camper shell on it for the snowy season. Well its a hair issue and it takes forever to clean hair out you all should know.

my dream car is those Mercedes Suvs don't know why but if I won the lotto that is what I get. You think the new cameos are cramped. My first car was a 1979 cameo. My hood was bigger than my whole car. I had to lift the seats to let people go in the back, put a dog in there forget about it. I had to manually roll down the windows. I smoked everyone out behind me. Though it was a fully restored, damn I miss that car!
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 4:01 pm

I would do it! Why not, just don't feed, or feed really lightly. Stop frequently for potty and some water breaks.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 4:04 pm

yes back on topic... during my trip with Khuno he just DIDN'T eat... wouldn't actually. we stopped every 150 miles or so for a stretch and a "hey lets mark that tree!" break. Water breaks on my trip were really needed. it was 105 with out AC and i felt so bad for khuno. Every time we stopped i would bring is water dish inside and beg the rest stop people for some cold water from the soda fountain because my dog was dying. they all were super sad and said" oh my gosh go right ahead!!! It has to be so hard for a husky in this heat"

people will do anything for a dog. if we could give dogs soda... i bet they all would have let me take any and all the soda that i wanted from the soda fountain.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Will be next to the car thread Wink

Everyone here has given you some great advice. It's up to you whether or not you decide to bring her. I think you should! It's an opportunity for her to socialize and get used to riding in the car.
Back to top Go down
ThereseZ
Newborn
Newborn
ThereseZ

Female Join date : 2012-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 4:50 pm

I totally would! I took my Shad on a 12 hour car ride, iv a car full of kids! It was fine!
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 5:18 pm

I can understand your dilemma here. I have a 2006 Pontiac gto which the trunk is way too small to carry Loki's kennel. I wouldn't give her a koing with peanut butter or ice. Get her a nylabone preferably the white one because they last a lot longer. If there is room keep her at the passenger's feet.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Holy cow. I didn't expect so many hits, lol.

Awesome cars guys! I'll join in the cars thread with my two cars. Wink

I'm still decided if I will take her or not. My bf has a low tolerance to her whining and he gets annoyed with stopping (sigh). I like the comforter idea. We do have some spare ones laying around that we aren't using. Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 6:21 pm

shaina&indy wrote:

Love your car. I have the exact same color. I'll post in the car thread. Wink

Definitely a good idea with forged internals. Your car will handle anything after that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?   Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanting to take pup on 18 hr car ride - yay or nay?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next