It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jen1107
Newborn
Newborn
jen1107

Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! Empty
PostSubject: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:07 pm

I have a 12 week old Siberian Husky puppy. When she came into our house at 8 weeks, she had a biting, mouthing, and nipping problem that was not good for the human skin. Using many, many techniques later, she now has excellent biting inhibition and knowing what is inappropriate to bite. She also does not have a dominance issue; we are making sure she understands she is at the lowest of her pack - well, at least I think she understands.

BUT SHE STILL HAS A PROBLEM WITH NIPPING AT THE FACE, especially when she gets even a little excited. I don't know if she confuses it with licking or not, because she loves giving kisses. It's only when she's excited will she lunge and nip - then lick. A comforting thought is that at least she'll only lunge when I'm literally 2 inches from her face and not just lunge at me when I least expect it.

Anyways, I've used spray bottles, handling the scruff of the back of her neck, redirection of toys, yelping, ignoring, time-outs, etc. I've also tried not sitting on the floor with her for a week, but that only seems to delay her understanding that biting the face is forbidden! I don't know what to do to stop this! In a desperate and subconscious attempt to stop her (and NOT smack her in the face), I bit down on her nose... I know it sounds weird; heck, SHE thought it was weird, but it worked Razz. Although it works, I can't keep biting her nose whenever she lunges at my face; I don't know how I feel about fur getting stuck between my teeth... What can I do to stop her lunging and nipping and biting of the face? Help!

I get mini panic attacks every time someone puts their face up to her because she's cute. She usually doesn't bite strangers in the face, but she will if she's playing. Though it's not hard, it's still unpleasant and alarming since she might grow up keeping this habit. It's so very odd that she won't bite the hands anymore, but she thinks it's awesome to bite the face -_-...
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

Female Join date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Trillion did this for a few weeks, and when she did we would tell her NOPE in a calm way and just stand up and "be a tree" until she calmed down.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Quote :
A comforting thought is that at least she'll only lunge when I'm literally 2 inches from her face and not just lunge at me when I least expect it.

MANY MANY dogs do not like it when people are that close to their face and or at eye level. I know it can be fun to bury your face into a puppy and pet them.... But what you are describing is very intense for a lot of dogs. Many dogs would not accept another dog being that close to them either.

Though I agree you should be trying to nip this behavior I find your best bet would be to ask people to not put themselves into that position. Even if you have children best they learn from you and your dog not to do it before they do it to a random dog on the street.

Never set a pup up to fail... Your invading your pup's space, and though it may be playful in nature it could go very wrong.

Quote :
In a desperate and subconscious attempt to stop her (and NOT smack her in the face), I bit down on her nose...

With a pup that lunges and bites at faces this would be the last thing on my mind... I would stop this right away and try a positive reinforcement method or time outs. Huskies in general do much much better with positive reinforcement.

Best of luck?
~Chris~
Back to top Go down
jen1107
Newborn
Newborn
jen1107

PostSubject: Re: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the advices. I don't exactly enjoy getting licked in the face, so I am fine with never allowing her touch my face. It's other people I'm worried about. I have been letting people know not to let her come too close to the face. This way, I feel safer for both Okami (my puppy) and the person playing with her. But half the people ignore or forget what I say once they get a lick in the face from her. They think that it's cute and safe. That really worries me because I never know what will happen. I will continue letting people know; it is my responsibility afterall.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 7:35 pm

I would recommend staying off the floor to play with her a bit longer. Raven also nipped /lunged at our faces when we played on the floor with her as a young puppy. She doesn't anymore and we can sit on the floor to play now. If she nips or lunges immediately tell her no, or whatever command you use stop playing and turn your back to her. She will learn.

I do however feel that dogs need to learn to tolerate people not the other way around. It is far easier and better to teach your dog now to be respectful of people now, both adults and children then to rely on people using good judgement.

People do lots of things they shouldn't do: drive drunk, have unprotected sex with strangers, shoplift, smoke, text while driving, stick their faces in strange dogs faces, etc even when they know the consequences of their actions. If some dumbo gets nipped by Okami for sticking his face in her face she will be the one to suffer.

Just my Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! 2144500265
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 pm

This was a tricky situation at my house. We love kisses from the pups. Delilah came to us at 1, she was pretty versed in human interaction (well, aside from resource guarding issues), but Cato came to us at 10 weeks and is big dummy.

He loved to lunge at faces and no amount of NO! or timeout would work with him - we tried everything. Thankfully, Cato is INCREDIBLY food motivated. We ended up finding that before we even played with him or allowed strangers to pet him, we needed to have him sit and gave him a treat. This broke his concentration and excitement about guests and after the treat he was significantly more calm. He caught on really fast and now he will sit every time someone walks in the door.

If your pup is food motivated it may be worth a shot. And remember, it may take 3 or more times for her to understand the first time, so use small treats and be patient. It will work out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jen1107
Newborn
Newborn
jen1107

PostSubject: Re: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Okami has been doing better recently. Must be something I did right! Yay! ^_^. I guess we just had to be really consistent in saying NO to her. Then she'll start moving forward slowly and do this really slow lick, like she's unsure of the NO or she's saying, "maybe if I do it slow enough, I'll get away with it." Lol.
Back to top Go down
jen1107
Newborn
Newborn
jen1107

PostSubject: Re: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Okami has just turned 6 months old. She hasn't bitten my face anymore for several months. She gives slow kisses now, which I love because there are no sudden movements. She hasn't bitten a stranger's face either except for one incident where she nipped this guy's nose when she got too excited. She ran off before the guy can say OUCH! I don't think it was a hard nip though, because the guy knelt back down and allowed her to lick his face again 5 minutes later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!   Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face! Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy lunges and nips or bites at face!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1