It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

Female Join date : 2012-08-23

dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues Empty
PostSubject: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 10:31 pm

My dog will jump up on me. I have tried the stoic stance and just fold my arms...but what she does, is jump high enough and will bite me in the face......

Lately, she will just walk past me, and nip the back of my legs for no reason.....and she always tried to nip my face....I know this is a VERY VERY bad habit and no sure how to stop this one....It is so dangerous.....especially when she gets close to my eyes....

Any suggestions on how to stop this???

Claudette
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 11:09 am

How old is is she? How long have you had her?
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 11:26 am

Hey Claudette, My puppy is almost six months, we had him for one, he has the same habit but is getting better(Which was a must being there are two kids age 6 and 4 that are always around him). He was not doing it out of aggression but over excitement , you have to be stern and they will get the point.
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 pm

dokota did the same thing he wasnted to play. we would do the turn and stomp and clap hands to make a loud nois and say no and he would get even more excited and we tried the stoic stance as you said and he would jump and continue to nip. we tried time outs in the bathroom.... not him us. IF he got too excited we would leave the room and lock ourselves in the bathroom. wait a min and then come out. after doing this for about a week every single time he nipped he got the point... you nip me you don't get to play with me. Now when he gets overly excited i tell him to sit. he's gotten so he sits on command without thinking about it. so he'll go from jumping and nipping to sitting and awaiting his treat for a command well followed. I now carry treats in my pockets lol all the time.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Callie does this a lot. She had a huge problem with face nipping when I first got her. I blamed it on the fact that she was taken from her mother at 6 weeks and missed the vital bite inhibition stage. So I had to teach her myself. Basically, when she nipped me, I overexaggerated the pain and walked away and ignored her. Eventually she learned that if she nipped, even though it was out of excitement, she didn't get to play with me.

I haven't had to deal with the nipping as I walk past, but I can- for lack of a better term- encourage it. If I get her riled up and make her chase me, she will nip. She's just trying to play with me the way she plays with the other dogs. I think with your situation, that could be the same deal. She might want to play and so is initiating it in a dog manner. To discourage this, ignore her. Only initiate play when she is behaving and no nipping is involved at all. If she nips, she doesn't get to play.

For the jumping, the "be a tree" method might work, but if it doesn't, turn your back to your dog. If your dog continues to jump, leave the room, close a door between the two of you. Teach her that jumping means she doesn't get your attention. Or if you're like me and don't so much mind jumping when it's invited, you can teach her that most times she needs to sit before interaction, but if you tap your hands on your chest or thighs, that means she can jump up and say hi.
Back to top Go down
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

Female Join date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 pm

kevo wrote:

She is about 9 months old and we have had her for about two months....I am noticing with he jumping, that when I ignore her, she is starting to get the point...

Just this morning, she jumped on me outside and nipped my arm and put a hole in my sweater....I know this is not an aggression thing...she wants to play....but it can be dangerous when she gets close to my face.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 pm

stevedette wrote:
kevo wrote:

She is about 9 months old and we have had her for about two months....I am noticing with he jumping, that when I ignore her, she is starting to get the point...

Just this morning, she jumped on me outside and nipped my arm and put a hole in my sweater....I know this is not an aggression thing...she wants to play....but it can be dangerous when she gets close to my face.

Freya used to get ov er excited and jump on my youngest son. He got to the point he was actually afraid of her. She is now heavier than both my sons and thankfull has stopped her jumping nad biting of clothing, but when she did it, I got quite frightned. She has ruined many jumpers and pants bith her teeth nad claws. She has also broken skin on my son's arms, legs and torse.

It just took time and persistance and she came good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:19 am

stevedette wrote:
kevo wrote:

How much exercise is she getting? perhaps exercising her more would work off some of the energy that aids her excitement.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Le Blanc
Newborn
Newborn
Le Blanc

Female Join date : 2012-10-04

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Could it be a dominace issue? Beings that Huskies are pack orented maybe she is thinking she is boss and your are suborndanat to her, and could be trying to punish you for not acting so. Exercise could be another reason for acting out as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues   dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues Empty

Back to top Go down

dog nips just walking past me and other nipping issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1