It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:19 am

I read in an older thread where Val said Sojo's had less meat content. Grandma lucy's looks good tho. I think I will end up trying it first. The price seems pretty decent compared to dry kibble too! I think Jas will like it.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:31 am

I noticed that meat was the second ingredient in the Sojos/Only Natural Pet food, but I usually add some extra chicken or something anyways. Maybe that would make it even out some...

Food should not be this complex .__.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:33 am

Myndi wrote:
I noticed that meat was the second ingredient in the Sojos/Only Natural Pet food, but I usually add some extra chicken or something anyways. Maybe that would make it even out some...

Food should not be this complex .__.

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:01 am

kclee wrote:
I have never really considered dehydrated food. How does THK compare in cost to grain free dry kibble such as TOTW or EVO? I may consider that. Jas ate about 2 1/2 cups of TOTW a day. Would she eat about the same in THK? Someone tell me more! lol bounce

THK is a complete gimmick. The company has no expertise in animal nutrition just marketing. The owners are just smart business people. One of them was a car designer. The nutritionist has no background unless you consider pet sitting a qualification.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:04 am

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 931307

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 2:49 am

LongRunFun1 wrote:
kclee wrote:
I have never really considered dehydrated food. How does THK compare in cost to grain free dry kibble such as TOTW or EVO? I may consider that. Jas ate about 2 1/2 cups of TOTW a day. Would she eat about the same in THK? Someone tell me more! lol bounce

THK is a complete gimmick. The company has no expertise in animal nutrition just marketing. The owners are just smart business people. One of them was a car designer. The nutritionist has no background unless you consider pet sitting a qualification.

lol! dude why are you here? So we can eat fresh food but our pets cant?
Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 85993 seriously... go promote and insult people somewhere else. It's one thing to have a friendly discussion and other to start insulting the forum moderators...

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
g0tmus1c
Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

Female Join date : 2012-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 6:48 am

there was a TOTW recall? is the High Prairie one recalled or just the salmon one? I wasn't able to find totw on the recall list..!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

LongRunFun1 wrote:
kclee wrote:

Coming from someone who believes corn, rice, millet, and barley should be fed instead of meat I find this quite laughable.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:06 am

g0tmus1c wrote:
there was a TOTW recall? is the High Prairie one recalled or just the salmon one? I wasn't able to find totw on the recall list..!

There is a recall, it's because there were traces of salmonella found at a Diamond plant. Nothing has been found specifically in TOTW, but it is still being recalled as a precaution. There is another thread on here with more discussion if you want to go read up on that. I've weighed the pros and cons, and we're going to continue feeding it here unless they prove a real risk to the dogs.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:25 am

http://diamondpetrecall.com/

got this from my pet store yesterday. diamond has added some of their brands to the recall as of yesterday apparently.... or maybe they are just late with it. good thing I use blue buffalo right now. I've also used orijen for Khuno.. but he's really fussy and will only eat things he's in the mood for (orijen one day... blue buffalo another day. I leave the bags out and he goes and puts his paw on which one he wants for breakfast or dinner and give him mainly that one with a little bit of the other mixed in for proper digestion)

specifically at my pet store, Howl in baltimore, these three were "effected":

Natural Balance
Premium Edge
Taste of the Wild

Last edited by Gilly on Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:31 am

Gilly wrote:

got this from my pet store yesterday. diamond has added some of their brands to the recall as of yesterday apparently.... or maybe they are just late with it. good thing I use blue buffalo right now. I've also used orijen for Khuno.. but he's really fussy and will only eat things he's in the mood for (orijen one day... blue buffalo another day. I leave the bags out and he goes and puts his paw on which one he wants for breakfast or dinner and give him mainly that one with a little bit of the other mixed in for proper digestion)

specifically at my pet store, Howl in baltimore, these three were effected:

Natural Balance
Premium Edge
Taste of the Wild
Thanks for the info. As stated in the few previous posts, Taste of the Wild and others have been recalled as a safety precaution. None of them has tested positive for contamination.

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:46 am

Koda wrote:
Gilly wrote:

specifically at my pet store, Howl in baltimore, these three were effected:

Natural Balance
Premium Edge
Taste of the Wild
Thanks for the info. As stated in the few previous posts, Taste of the Wild and others have been recalled as a safety precaution. None of them has tested positive for contamination.

oops! forgot to quote that from the website.. here's the quote (thanks for reminding me!!)

Quote :
The brands that were recalled on May 4 have not tested positive for Salmonella. The company is recalling certain batches of these brands, however, as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety and well-being of customers and their pets.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:07 pm

I got an email from Wellness yesterday saying that their large breed puppy formula is also being recalled, probably another precautionary measure but thought it worth noting as I haven't seen Wellness mentioned yet.

Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Yes, we've used it and it worked out well for us. We rotate Orijen formulas...and are back to Orijen Adult right now

amcooke wrote:
Has anyone used the Orijen (sp?) 6 fish kibble yet? I was looking at it and read some reviews and I'm just wondering if anyone has had some good/bad luck with it Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
jen72691
Newborn
Newborn
jen72691

Female Join date : 2012-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 7:44 pm

We feed Ziggy Dr. Tim's dog food and we haven't had any issues with it Smile We had him on TOTW before but he always had horrid gas and diarrhea, so we changed back to Dr. Tim's and everything went away. It seems to be a well formulated food and he has lots of experience with pet nutrition and a bunch of his own huskies. I believe he is also a vet himself, which I thought was cool.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 7:54 pm

I trust most vets with my dogs nutrition about as far as I can throw them (the vets) lol.

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 8:53 pm

jen72691 wrote:
We feed Ziggy Dr. Tim's dog food and we haven't had any issues with it Smile We had him on TOTW before but he always had horrid gas and diarrhea, so we changed back to Dr. Tim's and everything went away. It seems to be a well formulated food and he has lots of experience with pet nutrition and a bunch of his own huskies. I believe he is also a vet himself, which I thought was cool.

I wouldn't feed it. It's incredibly high fat. 25% fat to 35% protein...and it uses grains. But, thats just my opinion. We feed Grandma Lucy's Pureformance and Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon/Duck
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 9:06 pm

I would most definitely feed a high fat/high protein food. The breed as a whole, from everyone I've talked to, seem to agree they thrive on that kind of diet.

It's the high carbs you don't want.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 9:07 pm

It seems TOO high.. could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Acana Pacifica is 32% protein and 17% fat. blue wilderness salmon is 34% protein and 15% fat.

Honestly id like to see above 20% fat but I can't be too picky feeding kibble. I just have to pick the best kibble I can.

Back to top Go down
jen72691
Newborn
Newborn
jen72691

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 12:05 am

Niraya wrote:
I trust most vets with my dogs nutrition about as far as I can throw them (the vets) lol.
Oh I agree with that! They all want to sell you Iams and Science diet!

mheath0429 wrote:

I wouldn't feed it. It's incredibly high fat. 25% fat to 35% protein...and it uses grains. But, thats just my opinion. We feed Grandma Lucy's Pureformance and Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon/Duck
Dr. Tim recommended we feed Pursuit, I'm guessing you were looking at Momentum. Pursuit is 30% protein and 20% fat Smile Also, the grain is brown rice flour rather than corn flour, so its a lot more digestible. I've heard good things about Grandma Lucy's! We plan on supplementing his food with a raw diet here and there and if I cook chicken, I always make him one unseasoned breast. We also plan on rotating his food so he's on a grain free diet occasionally.

Niraya wrote:
I would most definitely feed a high fat/high protein food. The breed as a whole, from everyone I've talked to, seem to agree they thrive on that kind of diet.

It's the high carbs you don't want.
I've read from research that a 30% protein and 20% fat content was perfect for sibes and Ziggy seems to thrive on it so I'm not complaining! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 12:11 am

I'm all about the high fat/protein. The highest I can get is the 17% in Acana for kibble where I am. I avoid the grains - it's just easier for me. Bella has one of those notoriously sensitive Siberian stomachs and only does well on some foods so I have to watch.

I'm okay with the 32% and 17% Ideally I'd have her up above 20% fat but I can't complain. Acana is a great food for her and the other dogs do well on it also. Can't beat that.

Back to top Go down
jen72691
Newborn
Newborn
jen72691

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 12:57 am

Niraya wrote:
I'm all about the high fat/protein. The highest I can get is the 17% in Acana for kibble where I am. I avoid the grains - it's just easier for me. Bella has one of those notoriously sensitive Siberian stomachs and only does well on some foods so I have to watch.

I'm okay with the 32% and 17% Ideally I'd have her up above 20% fat but I can't complain. Acana is a great food for her and the other dogs do well on it also. Can't beat that.

Their tummies are indeed sensitive! TOTW gave him the runs and horrible gas and if we feed Ziggy anything fried he gets horrid diarrhea too. When we first got him the breeder sent us home with Eukanuba puppy, which was terrible; then we tried Nutro, which was terrible. Finally we found Dr. Tim's and that cleared up all of his problems, which was nice. Then my boyfriend thought TOTW looked like a good food so we tried that and he got the runs all over again haha. Maybe its just too rich for him.

With sibes I think you just have to find a food that cooperates with their tummies and stick with it! I've heard very good things about Acana. I'm sure Ziggy will try it someday when we rotate his food. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 am

Acana, Taste of the Wild and Holistic Selects so far are the only food she's done well on. I can't find Holistic Selects anywhere around here anymore -_-. Earthborn I've been giving her as treats very slowly so I can add it into my rotation. Taste of the Wild screwed me with the recall - especially when I went to get HS and no one sold it. So adding Earthborn I'll be back up to three different brands that she does decent on that I know for a fact I can feed that I won't be cleaning up diarrhea from lol.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2