It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? Empty
PostSubject: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:34 am

sheesh...these recalls are getting out of hand...i guess i will get some THK...thats still safe isnt it? haha..
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:51 am

actually i want some opinion...i have fed half the bag of totw pacific stream with no ill effects before i realized my bag is on the recall list...should i throw the bag away or finish it off?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:56 am

The biggest concern is for human safety. If the dogs are OK I would just finish it off but I would switch brands afterwards. Salmonella isn't a big issue to them, it's us. Be sure to wash hands after feeding or handling the food.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:01 am

i figured they could handle the salmonella. good to know, thanks!
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:16 pm

You should be able to get a refund from where ever you purchased it, so personally, I would return it and get your refund.

snrose wrote:
actually i want some opinion...i have fed half the bag of totw pacific stream with no ill effects before i realized my bag is on the recall list...should i throw the bag away or finish it off?
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:20 pm

This is a list of foods that have been recalled (FDA list), so I'd look for brands NOT on this list, including THK

snrose wrote:
sheesh...these recalls are getting out of hand...i guess i will get some THK...thats still safe isnt it? haha..
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Ooops...here is the link: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls/
(updates from the last couple of days not showing up on the list yet)

HarlosHealthyPets wrote:
This is a list of foods that have been recalled (FDA list), so I'd look for brands NOT on this list, including THK

snrose wrote:
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:45 pm

What is THK?
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:48 pm

kclee wrote:
What is THK?

The Honest Kitchen (dehydrated food)
Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 6:57 pm

All of the foods recalled should be avoided. This has been known since October of last year. The CDC issued a report yesterday confirming this.

Shameful

If you want to know the best plants, they are Ohio Pet Foods, Fromm, Nutrisource, Texas Farm Products and Midwesten Pet Foods.

Brands made by these plants are:

Annamaet (Ohio Pet)
Dr. Tim's (Ohio Pet)
Best Breed (Ohio Pet)
Fromm & Red Paw (Fromm)
Nutrisource, Pure Vita (Nutrisource KLN
Precise (Texas Farm Products)
Earthborn & Pro Pac (Midwestern Pet Foods)

As far as Canadian plants, Nutram is the only up to the best standards.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:02 pm

LongRunFun1 wrote:
All of the foods recalled should be avoided. This has been known since October of last year. The CDC issued a report yesterday confirming this.

Shameful

If you want to know the best plants, they are Ohio Pet Foods, Fromm, Nutrisource, Texas Farm Products and Midwesten Pet Foods.

Annamaet (Ohio Pet)
Dr. Tim's (Ohio Pet)
Best Breed (Ohio Pet)
Fromm & Red Paw (Fromm)

I would hate to think that you are only coming on this forum to push a product. Please introduce yourself and your dogs. This is a friendly/commercial-free forum. We don't support any one product or company. We use a our collective experiences and opinions to discuss issues.

This is a friendly warning. Please use this forum for what it is or I will be forced to ban your IP.

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Koda wrote:
LongRunFun1 wrote:

Shameful

Annamaet (Ohio Pet)
Dr. Tim's (Ohio Pet)
Best Breed (Ohio Pet)
Fromm & Red Paw (Fromm)

I would hate to think that you are only coming on this forum to push a product. Please introduce yourself and your dogs. This is a friendly/commercial-free forum. We don't support any one product or company. We use a our collective experiences and opinions to discuss issues.

This is a friendly warning. Please use this forum for what it is or I will be forced to ban your IP.

I am here only to be helpful. I am suggesting a variety of brands based on my vast experience in this field. If you choose not to listen that is fine.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:10 pm

LongRunFun1 wrote:
Koda wrote:
LongRunFun1 wrote:

Shameful

Annamaet (Ohio Pet)
Dr. Tim's (Ohio Pet)
Best Breed (Ohio Pet)
Fromm & Red Paw (Fromm)

I am here only to be helpful. I am suggesting a variety of brands based on my vast experience in this field. If you choose not to listen that is fine.
Why should we listen to someone who doesn't introduce him or herself? What experience do you have in the field? We have no idea who you are?

Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:21 pm

I jumped on here because of this horrible recall, which will get worse. I have trained and bred 4 breeds of dogs and have 15, two SH and an assortment of sporting breeds.

My friend's older dog is on death's door from eating TOTW. He didn't listen.

Anyway, I gave you my advice. Use it or potentially lose your dog.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Quote :
Anyway, I gave you my advice. Use it or potentially lose your dog.

Honestly the fact you would come onto these forums and say this to people you don't know is astounding. We are all here sharing our experiences and offering our advice to help one another.

You will not find a SOUL on these forums that wouldn't drop DEAD for their dogs. Your playing upon emotions, and feeding off of the worry ALOT of these people are having right now.

You have NO RIGHT to say that.

I agree with Tori 100% here if your going to talk to long time members in such a snide manner you wasting your time and theirs.

Further more the fact you would recommend Nutram for people north of the border tells me all I personally need to know.

I'm far from a rude person, But theres the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Shocked
Back to top Go down
amcooke
Newborn
Newborn
amcooke

Female Join date : 2012-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Has anyone used the Orijen (sp?) 6 fish kibble yet? I was looking at it and read some reviews and I'm just wondering if anyone has had some good/bad luck with it Smile
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Quote :
Has anyone used the Orijen (sp?) 6 fish kibble yet?

We feed 6 fish in our House. Tika loves it and it has been very kind to her digestive system.

We made the switch about 2 months back from TotW due to Tika being a bit fussy with it, she has always been the type to skip meals here and there but it was starting to get a bit much. She was going days without eating.

We got a sample bag of 6 fish and she went Ape for it.

Also the fact it is a Canadian made product was a small but nice factor.

Word of advice, the smell can be stronger then most dry foods.... You might want to invest in an air tight container if you don't have one already.

~Chris~

Edit*** Wanted to mention, when we mixed the sample bag of 6 fish into her TotW to "ease" her into it, she sat there all night slowly picking out only the 6 fish one by one and left all the TotW in the bowl.... The fact she did that played a role as well as we finally saw her enjoy a food.

That being said everyone is different. try and sample bag before you go all in Smile

Last edited by Tika on Sat May 05, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amcooke
Newborn
Newborn
amcooke

Female Join date : 2012-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Thank you so much! We haven't bought a container yet, but I'll make sure I do before hand Smile
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:09 pm

I have never really considered dehydrated food. How does THK compare in cost to grain free dry kibble such as TOTW or EVO? I may consider that. Jas ate about 2 1/2 cups of TOTW a day. Would she eat about the same in THK? Someone tell me more! lol bounce
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:14 pm

kclee wrote:
I have never really considered dehydrated food. How does THK compare in cost to grain free dry kibble such as TOTW or EVO? I may consider that. Jas ate about 2 1/2 cups of TOTW a day. Would she eat about the same in THK? Someone tell me more! lol bounce
There are a LOT of threads already out there about THK so do some searching and you'll find some more info. In short though, it's a great food.

It's very comparable in price if your dogs can handle grain. If you still need to go grain-free (which mine did) it's a bit more expensive. They will eat a little less of the THK, but the 10lb box makes 53lbs of food when you add water to it.

We tried it and I loved the food and ingredients, but even the high-quality oats were not agreeable to our two so we had to switch back. I would highly recommend it and so would most people here if yours can handle it Smile It's a fabulous option.

Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Looks like they do have some grain free options. I've just looked at a couple as of yet as there are so many varieties! I'm gonna look into this!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:27 pm

They do have grain-free... they are just MUCH more expensive so they wouldn't be comparable in price, that's all Smile

Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Here is a buried thread on it from when I first joined the forums.

Val does a great job of answering some questions on THK and Grandma Lucy's.

What I got out of it:

Great food, about the same bang for your buck as with other high end foods..... BMs will increase about double Razz

the honest kitchen

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:13 am

Has anyone used Sojos or Only Natural Pet's copycat of Sojos? I bought a few bags to try out and give Ava some variety since she's not a very big eater. She seemed to like them much better than THK that we tried, but she still gets bored with eating the same food for more than a few days in a row...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???   Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are there ANY safe dog foods out there right now???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next