It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Embarrassing question. (humping)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Snow White wrote:
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I guess I was getting a bit overwhelmed at the park because I had a group of people telling me trying to tell me 10 different things about dog behavior, so I was too fed up to have a calm, polite, conversation with the owner like I should have (even though he was glaring at me). Meanwhile my poor little timid 8 month old gsd is hiding in-between my legs terrified while this stupid little dog is like compulsively humping her, lol.

So the owner didn't even care? Another reason I am not fond of dog parks. The owner should have watched the situation and took their dog out of it. Maggie had this humping dominance issue a month ago. After me pulling her off several times she got over it. (Sometimes she does it correctly). I think you shouldn't be embarrassed more the other owner. I watch my dog proactive at the dog park. I even help girls get their dogs out of fights. We have the "regulars" that all they do is sit around and talk. Sorry I like to watch my dog.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
Maggie doesn't even hump correctly. She humps their face...lol

sorry had to lighten the mood.

Wait, my dog isn't the only one that humps faces?!?! (Not that it's a regular occurrence, but the few times she's given it a go, that's what she went for.)
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 pm

maggie would go where ever she could get to. lol
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Don't forget humping is also a sign of heightened excitement!

Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Niraya wrote:
Don't forget humping is also a sign of heightened excitement!

Which is what Kale does haha He starts air humping right when we get out of the car at the park lol!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 am

My old bosses English bulldog would air hump all the time. It. Was. Hilarious. There's a video on here somewhere of Appa and Rocco when they first met. Lots of humping that day.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

Male Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 9:16 am

Oh god, whenever Fenrir "dismounts" after being told to get down, he keeps air humping even while walking away. It's so hilarious.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: the owner   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 10:44 am

i would have verbally expressed my distaste for his lack of control over his dog. was he around to see what was going on? it was completely his responsibility, especially if he saw how uncomfortable it made you, and he should have called him off. GSD's are intelligent and strong willed, if the he couldn't get control of his dog he shouldn't own it, let alone take it off leash at a dog park.

i would have given him a piece of my mind.

and what you did [nudge his dog with your foot] was completely acceptable given the circumstances. i see nothing wrong with it at all. i personally would have pulled his doh off and held it away by its collar/scruff of the neck [if it didn't have a collar] and told the guy to come get his mutt in a rude was [but thats just me, lol]. because, all in all, its not the dogs fault. but again, like i said before, i see nothing wrong with how u handled it.

moreover, if she has puppies because of this incident, i will totally buy one lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 am

Thank god she wasn't in heat. The dog was too short to reach her properly anyway. Lol.

That's another huge reason why I want to get a second dog. I want Sura to have a playmate and I no longer have to rely on the selection at the dog park.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:30 am

Snow White wrote:
Thank god she wasn't in heat. The dog was too short to reach her properly anyway. Lol.

That's another huge reason why I want to get a second dog. I want Sura to have a playmate and I no longer have to rely on the selection at the dog park.

i think a playmate is a good choice. as soon as i move into my new apartment [within the next week] and get settled, i plan on getting a companion for my colby.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:43 pm

A few days late but he ya go.

I’ve got a pet peeve involving the dog park: humping. My problem isn’t with the dogs that engage in the behavior (let’s call it "mounting" from now on to appease the censors); it’s with the owners’ reaction to it. Invariably, the owner of the mountee and/or mounter runs over in embarrassment, pulls the dogs apart, and spends a good part of their remaining time at the park yelling at the "offenders" to stop. Sounds like fun for everyone involved, eh?

My dog Apollo is both a humper and a humpee (sorry, mounter and mountee), and that is a good thing. Why? Because it indicates that his behavior among the other dogs is very normal. Therefore, I feel no need to intervene, which means I’ve been the recipient of numerous "will you do something about your dog" glares, which I generally ignore.

So what’s the deal with mounting? Like most behaviors, dogs do it for several different reasons. Yes, it can be sexual even in spayed and neutered pets, but this the exception rather than the rule. Another common explanation is that one dog mounts another to assert his or her dominance. That also can be true, but in these cases it is simply a form of communication between the dogs. As long as neither dog is upset by the interaction, why should we care if this is how they choose to figure out who is "top dog" in the ever changing pack structure at the park? Once the relationships are ironed out, everybody can play in accordance to the new canine rules.

Mounting behavior may also simply be a form of play. When you think about it, most play is some derivative of a normal adult behavior. Stalking, chasing, wrestling, gnawing on each other … that’s all predator-prey type stuff. If the dogs are running around having a good time and first one mounts the other and then vice-versa, there’s a good chance that they’re just messing with each other. You don’t have to worry that the generally more submissive dog is actually challenging the more dominant dog’s status and that sparks will fly.

Dogs may also mount each other because they are anxious or just fired up, both of which are common states of mind at the dog park. Mounting can be an outlet for a dog’s excitement if he or she is uncertain about the best way to join the fray. I’ve also seen it when the rough-housing starts to get out of hand. Think of it as a doggy-enforced time-out that lets everybody pause and take it down a notch.

My rule of thumb is that if the dogs involved seem relaxed and happy with whatever behavior they’re engaged in and it doesn’t pose a risk of injury, let 'em play. Isn’t the dog park a place where dogs should be allowed to be dogs for a while, instead of conforming to human rules of what constitutes acceptable public behavior?

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2012/apr/let_dogs_be_dogs?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=20120419&utm_campaign=FullyVetted-let-dogs-be-dogs#.T5BOLbPy-8A
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 pm

If my puppy had been ok with the mounting, I would have been as well, but that was not the case.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:50 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
My old bosses English bulldog would air hump all the time. It. Was. Hilarious. There's a video on here somewhere of Appa and Rocco when they first met. Lots of humping that day.

You know my mother in law has an english bulldog. Thats the video my husband and I noticed maggie and appa look alike. Her and buddy play like that! lol!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:54 pm

lizzyduhh wrote:
i would have verbally expressed my distaste for his lack of control over his dog. was he around to see what was going on? it was completely his responsibility, especially if he saw how uncomfortable it made you, and he should have called him off. GSD's are intelligent and strong willed, if the he couldn't get control of his dog he shouldn't own it, let alone take it off leash at a dog park.

i would have given him a piece of my mind.

and what you did [nudge his dog with your foot] was completely acceptable given the circumstances. i see nothing wrong with it at all. i personally would have pulled his doh off and held it away by its collar/scruff of the neck [if it didn't have a collar] and told the guy to come get his mutt in a rude was [but thats just me, lol]. because, all in all, its not the dogs fault. but again, like i said before, i see nothing wrong with how u handled it.

:

I agree with this! 110% the other owners fault. You did the correct thing!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Very well said Len.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Good article, Len. I also enjoyed reading the comments on the article and the comments on those comments... (I actually got a happy mouse-finger and liked things I shouldn't have just trying to follow all the threads...oops... Embarassed )

I think to sum up, we should not be disengaged dog owners, sitting on benches texting our BFF and ignoring red flags in our dog's behavior. Nor should we be hyper-sensitive and over-protective.

There must be a happy medium.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing question. (humping)   Embarrassing question. (humping) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Embarrassing question. (humping)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2