It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What does humping mean?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

What does humping mean? Empty
PostSubject: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:56 am

In the 10 months that we've had Ginger, she did something new...she humped a dog! I thought, 'Oh! This is new!' and giggled...

When we brought Storm over to meet Ginger to see what their initial reaction would be to each other, Storm humped Ginger. I thought, 'Oh! Storm is hot for Ginger!', and smiled...

Last night during play time, Ginger humped Storm's leg (because she's just too short to get up on him!), and then Storm humped Ginger's face, then Ginger stood over Storm when he was laying down and humped him, and then Storm got on Ginger and humped her...that was the most humping I've seen between the 2...

What exactly does humping mean??

Just curious....

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:01 pm

It's what I call the "dominance dance". Laughing

Unless the dogs are tying, and in your case they are not, then humping is a form of displaying dominance.

Ginger and Storm are working out their place in the pack, perfectly normal. Smile

Edited to add: The first time Dakota humped a male puppy I freaked out and thought my dog was gay. lol!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:27 pm

It can actually mean a lot of things. Sometimes it's a sign of "dominance" or a dog who belives he's higher up trying to "control" a lower ranking dog who's causing a fuss. You see it a lot in play as well.

Mickey is very "alpha male" type of dog. At the park sometimes when there's a bully dog around i'll see him go up to the dog and strutt around him sometimes even mounting him. That's dominance. Other times there will be a wildly obnoxious dog that just won't relax. Sometimes dogs will hump the obnoxious dog trying to control him. Other times dogs are so stimulated with play that they begin to hump.

There's a lot of different meanings with humping.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:36 pm

thanks for putting a smile on my face C! i had a silent giggle with your post. you more or less described S&J, but Sierra does more of the humping then Jack, in fact i wanted to record it the other night but did not have my phone next to me. she will just walk up to him if he is laying down and just make the motions but never mounts him just gets real close to him. i think it is a dominance thing for her. Jack mounted a dog for the first time at the park like 2 months ago, he had never done that and it was a female so i think he just "liked" her Wink it normal and funny at the same time

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:54 pm

I know it's normal, and I thought it could be a sign of dominance, but I just want to confirm...

Ginger's and Storm's expressions when they're humping are hilarious!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:57 pm

cmanding wrote:

LOL

My hubby shot a photo of Dakota humping a female Mal at the dog park one day. So pitiful! Shocked

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
cmanding wrote:

LOL

My hubby shot a photo of Dakota humping a female Mal at the dog park one day. So pitiful! Shocked

I had a visual, Val!
lol!

Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 5:36 pm

cmanding wrote:

I am sure the same would be said of people.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Becky wrote:
cmanding wrote:

Thank you for not making me say that. silent
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:31 pm

This entire discussion made me giggle. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Becky wrote:
cmanding wrote:

Thank you for not making me say that. silent

lol!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptySat May 21, 2011 2:12 pm

You guys are hilarious! Laughing

Newborn
Newborn
rpataca

Male Join date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 pm

This is good to know. What does it mean when they hump a toy... I don't believe dominace is the factor there? Or is it?

Brought home a new toy a few weeks ago and within minutes he went to town. I laughed and had a proud daddy moment. My wife was applaud and freaked out. I couldn't stop laughing.

Is it good or bad? not a really issue anymore my wife doesn't allow it :-)

He's only 3months old.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm re-reading through this thread and I'm just cracking up! lol!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread from May!

lol!

Mya just randomly humps the air. Very weird! LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 11:03 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Mya just randomly humps the air. Very weird! LOL!!!

lol! Kale does too when get gets excited Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Baby Gixxer Humped Yoshi The Other day Omg I Died Laughin! He is Like 4x his size LOL
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Yep, this thread is cracking me up... after all, who could resist clicking on "What does humping mean?" lol

Here's my question. Is it weird that my 7 year old NEVER humped? He wasn't even neutered until he was 2 years old and I had him from a (probably too young to be away from his mother) puppy.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 pm

I swear I had a video of Ginger humping Storm's leg because she's a shortie! Razz
I have to go find it - it's the funniest thing ever especially the expression on her face when she's done like she's all proud or something! Razz

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 am

lol!

Thanks for the giggle everyone. I think we've had it more with Dakota humping Demon than the other way around...
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 1:23 am

Cali humped her first victim at Petsmart over the weekend. He was a great Collie named Buck that was laid back as any dog could be. It was funny. Buck's human tried to pull them apart and puller his collar right off him. I told her that Cali had her sights on him and wasn't going to let him go.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 am

I am so glad neutering calmed appas desire to hump WAY down. If it moved, he'd hump it. Now it's startling when he does.
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Haha! This entire thread made me laugh! When Sara came over the other day, her mom's foster kept mounting Drake. She was showing him who was boss!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What does humping mean?   What does humping mean? Empty

Back to top Go down

What does humping mean?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1