It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

why not off-leash?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Why are huskies characterized as being "not off-leash dogs"? Is this some notion that has been handed down over time that has everyone terrified so they don't give their huskies a chance? I rarely use one and he always stays within ear-shot of me. I have had him 2 and 1/2 months and started him on a 50' lead at first, but within a week he was running off-lead. He will chase things but always comes back. The only problem I have is getting him to jump in the car voluntarily, but if I toss a treat in and he will jump in after it.

I have some good advice for folks who want them off leash. Go on hikes or excursions with other people who have dogs that are good off-lead. Huskies are pack animals and will stay with pack. Reward them when they come to check-in with you. Do this a number of times if possible, and they give them a chance to earn your trust. Use treats and good affirmations when you call them. They are smart and trainable and look to you to be their alpha pack leader. Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:38 pm

why not off-leash? 1347041234

why not off-leash? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Koda wrote:

You're on a roll today!

I just wanted to add my little face: -_-

why not off-leash? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Oh Tori you are on it today.

Sorry my 2 stay leashed, just love them too much to lose

Niraya

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm

jbealer wrote:

Sorry my 2 stay leashed, just love them to much to lose

More quotes for truth! except I only have one.

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Koda wrote:

Mine will still on leash.. he just wants to run..
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:50 pm

jbealer wrote:

Sorry my 2 stay leashed, just love them too much to lose

Agreed!!! I actually got into a little spat with my best friend and her boyfriend while visiting in GA over the weekend. I told them that next time we went we would make the drive and take the pups. Their 3 dogs are let outside off leash and don't go anywhere. It's awesome how trained they are, but MY DOGS will run. They think otherwise. I'm like dude, do me a favor, look up huskies and then argue with me. I was getting a bit upset actually. Don't tell me that MY dogs won't run when you don't know anything about the breed! Fine, some might not run and that's great, but MINE WILL. They're like they won't run away here. Really? Just because you're in the country they won't run. Okkkk scratch
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:52 pm

If your dog was a rescue, he still may not feel totally secure with his surroundings and comes back to you because he feels safe. Eventually though, he will have the confidence to go without stopping, and will do so.

I want so badly for Keeonah to be an off leash dog, and have had her off leash a few times without an issue. We go for a 2 mile walk, practicing heel (she walks on a loose leash 80% of the time now! Very Happy ) and the last block(about 100 yards from my front door and no cross streets in between us and the front door), I will unhook her leash, and we continue working on heel. Twice now she has stayed at my hip all the way to the house, but once she got excited and took off. She knows the house well and went to the front door herself, recognizing that the walk was over. However, if even one distraction had been present, Cat, guy on a bicycle, guy off a bicycle, *shudders* a car. Then there is no doubt in my mind she would be gone. For this reason, I pick and choose her fleeting off leash moments very carefully. If it is just me and her, with no other distraction, I can keep her focused and get her to recall from almost 50m away. did it once at an empty park. But there are too many variables for me to do it comfortably all the time.

I'd say Keeonah has an above average recall, and a well above average heel, but if you set a dog born to run free, one of those times, they will seize the opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Tccgold
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:57 pm

We have tried the off-leash in rural areas twice. There was a party (the night before the rehearsal dinner party) at the in-laws, and since the dogs always wanted to be around people, we put 8 ft. leads on and let them wander, dragging the leads. After about 10 minutes of the little cousins playing with them, they come to me and say "Where are Juno and Bleeker?"

Spent a good half hour yelling for them in the woods, and when they heard me they came running back. I think they started exploring and just got lost. Same thing happened a few months later, but it was letting them run from me to the older cousin (100 ft away) dragging their leads. They ran towards him, veered left to stay out of his reach, and headed for the hills. Get them back about 1/2 hour later that time too, but decided twice was enough for us.

If people train them to be off lead and it works, great! For me, the one time it takes for something to go wrong (with an auto, wild animal, dog hater, whatever would leave me with a lifetime of guilt and telling myself I should have known better.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:01 pm

See that's the thing. I feel like so many Husky owners want to be an exception to the rule "oh my husky is different though". And then we hear about the horror story later. My pup does seem to be genuinely good off leash, and i want to keep working with her little bits at a time while she gets older, because who knows. If we work at it and work at it in really safe conditions, maybe she CAN do it, but i am a bundle of nerves every single time i unhook her lead, because one day something in her mind might be different. It's a sensitive subject for a reason i guess Suspect
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Basically - Murphy's Law "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong".

You're dog could have near perfect recall (there is no such thing as 'perfect' recall) and that one time something is going to set the dog off and they're not going to listen to you AT ALL. By allowing your dog off leash in any unclosed area you're opening the door and inviting in ALL kinds of possibilities for your dog to run and run and never look back. You could lose your dog forever because you decided "well, since he/she always stays by me and never wants to wander they must be good off leash!".

Until that one time when they aren't good off leash.

That isn't to say that no Siberian can be trained to be off-leash. But you can't also tell me that those people haven't had at least ONE incident where that dog took off and ran and ran and they couldn't call their dog back or off whatever it was going for.

Bella has above average recall but I work with her daily on it. I still would never trust her off leash anywhere that wasn't fully enclosed.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Tccgold wrote:
If people train them to be off lead and it works, great! For me, the one time it takes for something to go wrong (with an auto, wild animal, dog hater, whatever would leave me with a lifetime of guilt and telling myself I should have known better.
Just how i feel as well.

yeah i have let S&J off leash, but we are always a few hours in on a hike with NO trees/woods in site and were with eddys pack, it works but i would take every time into account and if there is ANY second guessing they stay leashed.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:09 pm

I don't trust my dogs anywhere off leash, not even my little ones who would never in a million years think of not being able to see me.

We use a 20 foot lead on both dogs, then tie them together if we want them to be able to be "off-leash". Kya will normally come back, but not always, so if we do this, they are more likely to stay near us because they feel the pull of the leash, even though it is tied to them. That again, does not ensure that they will never run off, we have just found a way to trick them into staying near but being able to run when I can't.

I know that isn't a traditional method, but hey, it has worked so far Smile
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:10 pm

jbealer wrote:

yeah i have let S&J off leash, but we are always a few hours in on a hike with NO trees/woods in site and were with eddys pack, it works but i would take every time into account and if there is ANY second guessing they stay leashed.

YEP! It is all situational awareness, and knowing when it's a poor idea IMHO. In the 4 months that I have had Keeonah she has been off lead outside for a total of maybe 30 minutes lol.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 pm

All of my dog's are off-leash trained (non-huskies) accept for Hayden. We tried training him and it was going pretty good, but I had a terrible scare when he saw another dog and bolted out our gates straight for a major highway! Thankfully I had his treats with me and bribed him to come to me. That was it for me and I wouldn't let him off a leash if someone paid me! I'm glad some people have great success with it, but I'm perfectly happy saying my Husky is leashed and I know he's safe Smile

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:12 pm

MyKeeonah wrote:
If your dog was a rescue, he still may not feel totally secure with his surroundings and comes back to you because he feels safe. Eventually though, he will have the confidence to go without stopping, and will do so.

I pretty much assumed that this is the reason Rio will run straight towards me anytime she gets the chance at the park. She still is not comfortable and does NOT want to be away from me. I know it's only a matter of time until she is a crazy running husky, so I refuse to let her off lead.

Like everyone else, I love my dogs WAY too much to loose them. I've been through that, will do everything NOT to go through that again.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/nopulling.html

On another note (sorry but why not off-leash? 888911 )

I use this method with Keeonah, as well has holding a treat right above my knee, getting her to trot after it. Say heel, give her the treat mid stride. The two methods together have made Keeonah no less than exceptional on lead. If the leash was always going to be as slack as it now is with her, there is no real point in going off lead Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:15 pm

MyKeeonah wrote:

I use this method with Keeonah, as well has holding a treat right above my knee, getting her to trot after it. Say heel, give her the treat mid stride. The two methods together have made Keeonah no less than exceptional on lead. If the leash was always going to be as slack as it now is with her, there is no real point in going off lead Smile

On that note, have you guys had success with a husky immediately being good on a lead? I can't explain it, because she has NEVER had training, but the first time I put Rio on a lead, she was looking at me and stayed right next to me, watching me the entire time. Like I had spent months training her to do it!
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:35 pm

My husband had a hard time understanding why I never let Lady one of my other huskies that passed away in 2007 off her leash. I had her for 10 years she listen to all my commands had a great recall. My husband would turn her loose in the tennis courts at the school in the winter time she did great.
We moved to FL and my hubby thought he would try it here in his moms backyard she had no fence. After about a week my daughter took her out without the leash. She was gone, it took 2 days to find her.
Oh, btw... we did take her and my other husky at the time hiking all the time at a place called Oldmans Caves. They loved it there.
Plus I prefer to keep mine on a leash to avoid someone else dogs biting someone and my getting the blame.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:05 pm

It's the continual story of someone posting how good their husky is off leash for months and th the final post stating they wished they had listened and kept their husky on lead because their dog either got ran over by a car or they took off days ago and have not seen them since. In fact... This just happened to a guy on another forum. I would be happy to provide you with his contact information so you can here his story and how heartbroken he is over the loss. By-the-way, he had her off leash for years without any issues until this last time. Most of us just don't think that is arisk worth taking.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Nope nope nope.

I have chased my ass hats way too many times to ever voluntarily let them off leash. Mickey is good but I would never walk him around somewhere with no leash. It's a risk that isn't worth it to me.

We practice recall all the time but I would never unhook the leashes and let them be free with nothing to keep them safe.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
BayAreaHuskies
Newborn
Newborn

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:10 pm

I may be new here, but of the handful of posts I read, it seems that every so often someone posts some thread posed as a question but they're really just trying to brag for some reason I don't understand.

My husky is 99% wolf and 75% dinosaur and she doesn't need a crate, a leash or a collar. She has instant recall and likes to obey commands without treats. She's so smart she actually learned how to stop shedding. In her spare time, when she isn't positively contributing to the amount of money I have, she likes to split her time being nice to the local neighborhood cats and not being freaked out by toddlers.

I'm pretty sure that most huskies should be on leashes most, if not all, of the time. Doesn't seem that controversial to me.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Chris_C wrote:
My husky is 99% wolf and 75% dinosaur and she doesn't need a crate, a leash or a collar. She has instant recall and likes to obey commands without treats. She's so smart she actually learned how to stop shedding. In her spare time, when she isn't positively contributing to the amount of money I have, she likes to split her time being nice to the local neighborhood cats and not being freaked out by toddlers.

lol! nice Chris, now are you breeding that husky/wolf/dinosaur, cause you know there should be more! Wink

Newborn
Newborn

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Yes, thank you Jennifer. I am definitely breeding her and selling the pups for $10,000 a piece, but I'm only doing it because I care so much about the dogs, and because our society is the perfect place for more animals like that. And if people don't end up liking them, they can just take them to their local pound, no worries.
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm not sure why anyone would allow a dog off-leash that has an undeniable instinct to run. Couple that with a high prey drive and you're flirting with disaster. I have this argument far too often with people: "you're mean because you crate your dogs and keep them on a leash. Mine HATES his crate and does fine off-leash." Oh, and this one always gets me: "if they really loved you, they wouldn't run away. You must not treat them right."

Just because a dog/husky does fine off-leash doesn't mean he/she will always be that way. If something interesting enough catches their attention, having decent recall and being the "pack leader" might not be enough. Why take that risk? Allow them off-leash in a fenced in area where it's safe. I don't understand how anyone can not see how risky this is, ESPECIALLY with an animal that's BORN with instinct that makes running away even more likely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

why not off-leash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: why not off-leash?   why not off-leash? Empty

Back to top Go down

why not off-leash?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next