It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Question: rawhide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Question:  rawhide - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:52 pm

bellecma wrote:
Where can you get trachea? Not to sound too dumb, but what kind of trachea is it? I bought an antler and she doesn't like it at all

I get Lamb and Beef Trachea - usually at small pet boutiques.

Antlers are best received if they have marrow exposed, are yours split?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 am

I will take the antler suggestion and try the next time I go to Petsmart (Tuesday for her next round of shots).

Currently giving her "Pet Botanics" treats at 1/2 calorie each and "Smartbones" Peanut Butter Flavor (the label reads its easy digestible compared to normal Rawhide)
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 8:34 am

Thank you for the trachea suggestion. She loves them. I found them at a store online where they aren't basted in anything. No digestive problems. Nay to the ones I bought at petsmart- make her poop loose, not the runs. They looked like they were flavored and that seems problematic. Yesterday we tried a buffalo tendon. She liked it and so far so good.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 am

Do the trachea have a odor to them? My mom would kill me lol
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 am

Very little odor. I think that her dog food has much more odor. The plain cow ears and tendons had even less odor than the trachea. I have to be careful with treats. She loves to chew but many things like pig ears and bully sticks give her the runs. God know how hard we try to avoid that!
Back to top Go down
swhite_27
Newborn
Newborn
swhite_27

Male Join date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:44 am

HuskyLuvver wrote:
I'm curious, what the opinions here are on rawhide. My last husky really wasn't "mine." Hence, I wasn't as crazy as I am with Amber. She ate rawhide all the time with no issues.

I came over to my inlaws house the other day to find they gave her a rawhide bone. She loved it, finished it, and I was livid. I have heard the downsides. Amber seems to be fine so I was curious, whats the concencous here?

My sister has a husky as well and she warned me yesterday that Husky's are not able to digest them sol they can be dangerous for them... That was enough for me to stay away from raw hide. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Not that my sister knows all, but she is the type of person to do a lot of research before for making a statement like that...
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:02 am

What usually last longer the tendons or trachea?
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 am

Just a note, dogs can break teeth on antlers Sad (to be fair, they can break teeth on any hard surface..). But my one husky River had a slab fracture in her large back tooth from an antler. I won't ever give antlers again just for that fact, but I know they're really popular these days. Just wanted to point it out though!

No rawhide in our house either... we do pig ears, lamb ears, and bully sticks! I get nervous giving hooves too due to the pointiness, so I stay away from those.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 12:17 pm

I gave rawhide to Kingsley while he was still a puppy with baby teeth because he couldn't really work it down. He had the same piece for like 2 months without so much as scratching it. Once he started losing his puppy teeth and his adult teeth came in, I threw them away and just started buying big ass beef bones from a local pet shop. I stay away from Petsmart because the bone/antler products tend to me over priced and synthetic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 pm

I given rawhide bones (made in america only) to both mine with no issues, I do watch them. I will not do hooves or antlers, those are too hard and can break or crack teeth. My vet says since the antlers have become popular she is seeing way more cracked and broken teeth, so with my luck lol I stay away from them. My two like nylabones too.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 8:06 pm

My mom used to work at the vet office, and has seen all the things that rawhide can do, and has done, to dogs. I have never, ever, Been allowed to give any of my dogs rawhide. It can lacerate their intestines, Or even rupture them.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 pm

We use Smartbones, bully sticks and bladder sticks which are about the same size as bully sticks but don't last as long. Denali, our senior, will only eat chicken strips so we buy her the made in the USA ones.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Karli has a rawhide bone (my parents got it for her as a Christmas present) but she chews on its sparingly. She's never had any issues with it, but I don't let her have it unsupervised either. I did get her a ham bone from our local feed store yesterday and she loves that. I love pig ears but she goes through them in about half an hour!!!
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 12:37 am

We don't do rawhide we get "dog bones" from the butcher at the grocery store. They end up costing about the same, sometimes cheaper and the dogs adore them. I can get 2 good sized joint bones for a couple of bucks. They normally last Dakota about a week and when he whittles them down enough that he could swallow them i take them away. We try not to do more than one per week as too much bone can be constipating, and don't be surprised if the poop is kinda white.

Back to top Go down
Epimetheus
Puppy
Puppy
Epimetheus

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 12:51 am

Balonsmom wrote:
I given rawhide bones (made in america only) ...
Other countries often do not have reasonable control of toxins in rawhide. Arsenic is sometimes used in a bleaching process to make it more attractive to people.

We generally stay away from rawhide. Some of our dogs are such gluttons they would swallow large chunks.

I was not aware of vets seeing many problems with rawhide or antlers. Thank you for the information.

We occasionally give raw joint bones. Unfortunately, our Lab gnaws them down a little and swallows the joint whole. Then he walks around with a pained expression until he horks it up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Question: rawhide

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2