It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Question: rawhide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HuskyLuvver
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyLuvver

Question:  rawhide Empty
PostSubject: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm curious, what the opinions here are on rawhide. My last husky really wasn't "mine." Hence, I wasn't as crazy as I am with Amber. She ate rawhide all the time with no issues.

I came over to my inlaws house the other day to find they gave her a rawhide bone. She loved it, finished it, and I was livid. I have heard the downsides. Amber seems to be fine so I was curious, whats the concencous here?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:16 pm

It's going to be a personal decision, you'll have to weigh the pros and cons and ultimately decide if it's worth it to you. I know a lot of people won't use them and I respect that. Personally, I know the risks and still give my dogs rawhide and I've never had an issue even when my sibe has eaten whole 12 inch rolls in one sitting (yes, he's done that on multiple occasions!).

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 pm

I've lived thru or I should say Mylo lived through the down side of rawhide. They are notorious for causing intestinal blockages. Mylo, ate a rawhide bone obviously blocked him up to where I thought he was going to blow up. At that time I had no idea about the dangers of rawhide. He belly got hard as a rock but finally about 2AM lucky for him not me he blew it all out of his butt on the kitchen floor. I've refused 100% of the time since then on allowing anybody to give my dogs rawhide in any shape or form. Never will relent on my no rawhide rule.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 12:22 am

We used to give our first dog rawhide, but she was not a crazy chewer and so one 12 inch bone could last her a long time. Sabaka has had rawhide but it gave him horrendous gas (I think all beef products mess up his system). After reading more about rawhide, we believe that pig hide rolls are a better option. They are marketed as being easily digestible. We buy them in twists about the size of a small bully stick. They are more expensive than beef rawhide but less expensive than bully sticks. We always supervise him with them.

Sabaka also enjoys SPLIT elk antlers. He's not a fan of Nylabones and most of his toys are not considered to be fun unless he can quickly and easily destroy them.
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 1:36 am

Wow! Honestly, I had no idea that there was any danger to rawhide. I've been giving them to Keimo for years and I probably still will, but I'll watch him and Isabella closer from now on just in case. Thanks for asking that question, otherwise I never would have known.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 1:40 am

I give mine them, but i always watch them when they have them
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 1:47 am

iI've always gave dogs rawhide I dont give it to Neo because he rips it to pieces and they stick in the rug. If you are worried about it, see if any farriers in your area can save horse hoof for you. Never had a dog refuse those.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 2:33 am

Mickey had them when he was younger until I came home one day to a pregnant looking Mickey. Hard as a rock. Tummy about the size of a basketball. Haven't had them in the house since. I do bullysticks and hooves.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 2:40 am

No rawhide here either, just zuke bones. Kale doesn't get much treats come to think about it lol rawhide gives Kale the runs; learned it the hard way Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 2:49 am

We originally gave rawhide to ours, until Dakota had a very nasty episode on the kitchen floor. Since then we stick to the baked pork skin bones and we haven't had any issues since. We also don't leave them alone with them.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 3:05 am

Both our girls got sick from rawhide last week. Ghost wound up pooping ALL over the training room at PetSmart, and then Lulu wound up vomiting all over the carpet in the middle of the night. We are now looking for good alternates to rawhide, and I think I may wind up looking into Zukes bones since you guys all speak so highly of them.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Question:  rawhide 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 7:13 am

My breeders told me that she is against rawhide as well - seeing as when whole pieces are swallowed they just stick to the stomach and the bowels... Luka's diarrhoea has been on and off and just 2 seconds ago i took his raw hide away. He won't be happy. But i'm curious to see if his stools improve! If i notice a change, ill stop with rawhide as well and stick to knuckles once his stomach settles!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLuvver
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Of course my inlaws, being the great listners they are, got her a rawhide bone for christmas.

Since having it she has been lethargic. Not sure if I'm just looking for a reason to not like rawhide, but it's noticeable. My wife and I are so torn on it. She can go through rawhide much faster than our last husky, Amber polished off a full 12" bone on christmas in about 4 or 5 hours. I like how it keeps her busy but i just worry if it is making her feel ill. Its hard to tell with her because she can be so lazy at times and then just mass amounts of uncontrolable energy at others.
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm also a firm believer of no rawhide. I know people that give it and never have problems, but to me it's just not worth the risk. I knew a gentleman that gave his dog rawhide throughout his life with no problems, then one day he started acting strange. Lethargic, wouldn't eat, etc. He also noticed his stomach was hard and he had blood in his stool. Long story short, the vet found undigested rawhide all in his stomach that had actually lacerated his insides bad enough that he ended up dying. He blamed himself for years and never truly got over it. I could never feed my dogs something that would have the chance, no matter how small, of hurting them like that. Or hurting them at all, for that matter. Sad

Edit: As an alternative to rawhide, I occasionally give Drogo bully sticks which keep him occupied for at least an hour. I also have a handful of femur bones thrown around the house for both Drogo and Navi. Providing you take them away if they start getting big chunks off, they are a safer option. I've had Drogo for 9 months and I've only had to take 1 away from him.

Last edited by toyszruskid on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 12:27 pm

A great alternative in my opinion to rawhides are these:

http://www.qtdog.com/antlerz.htm

They are a great source of joint supplements and minerals plus even the strongest chewers can only wear them down in small pieces. I guard against watching them get too sharp though. I have never had issues with rawhides other than diarrhea when they eat too much.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
CaptainMorgan
Puppy
Puppy
CaptainMorgan

Female Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm

This forum is always on it. I googled my question about giving rawhide to Malfoy because when I was out I had stopped at Big Lots to see if they had any good deals on dog supplies they had these packets of of funchew rolls that are filled with pacific salmon skins. I was concerned about rawhide but also knew the breed enjoys salmon so for five dollars a bag I went ahead and got it with the intent to research it.
Seems the general consensus is mixed and based on personal experience or opinion. One of my mothers chihauhaus had issues with it much like the tales listed above, he was a small breed though, my logic is maybe since Malfoy is a bigger breed maybe he will be okay if I supervise him while he eats it. They aren't very big, five inches long and about as thick as my thumb.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 8:12 pm

CaptainMorgan wrote:
This forum is always on it. I googled my question about giving rawhide to Malfoy because when I was out I had stopped at Big Lots to see if they had any good deals on dog supplies they had these packets of of funchew rolls that are filled with pacific salmon skins. I was concerned about rawhide but also knew the breed enjoys salmon so for five dollars a bag I went ahead and got it with the intent to research it.
Seems the general consensus is mixed and based on personal experience or opinion. One of my mothers chihauhaus had issues with it much like the tales listed above, he was a small breed though, my logic is maybe since Malfoy is a bigger breed maybe he will be okay if I supervise him while he eats it. They aren't very big, five inches long and about as thick as my thumb.

Only thing you ahve to be careful about is making sure any treats or food you get is not from China..A LOT of treats are and now all of the ones with Chicken are being recalled.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Lola liked the Zukes bone but it was gone quickly. Bully sticks and pig ears give her the runs. Anything basted gives her the runs. She is good with unbasted cow ears and this strange little Hymalania treat made from yak milk that has lasted almost a week. I'm always looking for something to keep her busy that doesn't upset her tummy. I do watch her if she has a chew treat.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 pm

bellecma wrote:
Lola liked the Zukes bone but it was gone quickly. Bully sticks and pig ears give her the runs. Anything basted gives her the runs. She is good with unbasted cow ears and this strange little Hymalania treat made from yak milk that has lasted almost a week. I'm always looking for something to keep her busy that doesn't upset her tummy. I do watch her if she has a chew treat.

Antlers and Trachea are a nice option to try!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 pm

I used to give rawhide alllll the time. I had no idea about the risks rawhide poses to the tummy, but once I found out I stopped immediantly. My girl LOVED rawhide, so it was a long and hard switch. Right now my girls enjoy Himalayan chews, bully sticks,antler velvets, tripe, beef tendons, duck feet, bull trachea, hooves, and antlers. Obviously some things last longer then others. If I need to keep them occupied for awhile, I just freeze a Kong with peanut butter, cottage cheese..just depends on what I'm feeling that day Smile. There are a lot of different options out there, it's just hard finding them.

I go to an all natural pet store and buy my pup's goods.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Where can you get trachea? Not to sound too dumb, but what kind of trachea is it? I bought an antler and she doesn't like it at all
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 pm

It's bull trachea and I get it from a store called The Green Spot. I don't know if there are any types of those stores around your area or not. I'm sure you can google where to buy bull trachea or something close to that. I'm sorry I can't be of more help!!

As for the antler.. Did you buy elk or deer? Split or full? Did you buy it from a pet store (ie. petsmart or petco) or from an organic pet store? Or online? If you buy them from like PetSmart, they are VERY low quality and most dogs don't like them anyway. If you are on facebook. I suggest searching for Montana Antler Chews & Dog Supply. Their antlers are fantastic quality and are elk antlers, so they are more durable then deer antlers.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 pm

I've heard both good and bad stories about rawhide. Since I was peranoid something would happen on rawhide I give Thane beef bones, marrow bones, etc. I've pretty much got a cow in my freezer just for him XD
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm not a fan of rawhide and Saphire doesn't care for it so Saphire gets dried pig ears and hooves all the time. She can go straight to where they are in every pet supply store she is allowed in. Smile We also do peanut butter and occasionally cheese for smaller treats.

But her all time favorite chew toys are the large sticks and branches she brings home from her walks. The downside is she leaves the chunks all over the floor. (Maybe I should start bagging them and put them on my garden as mulch in the spring . . . . hummmmmm).
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 4:02 pm

I used to give Nikko and Yukon rawhide, they both LOVED it! Nikko would sometimes get the runs from it though, so I would only get it sometimes. But it would make Yukon throw up since it does not digest well, and they got pretty aggressive over them, so no more rawhides for us! I use the real bone femurs that are stuffed or antlers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question: rawhide   Question:  rawhide Empty

Back to top Go down

Question: rawhide

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next