It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cat chasing husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Help please! I have a 4 month old husky pup who cant seem to help himself when it comes to chasing cats! For the most part he will leave our huge snowshoe Jax alone as Jax has fought back, but will still on occasion go after him. Our very small tabby, however, is a prime target. It doesn't matter if she is running, or just sitting still. It wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that i have seen Dante go up to her and put his mouth around her back, and I've even seen him put her head in his mouth. I'm worried that as he gets older, and bigger, this will become a big problem. He knows leave it, but that only seems to work maybe 25% of the time, if that. I was wondering if any of you have any tried and true methods of getting a husky to LEAVE THE CATS ALONE!!!!
Back to top Go down
Daamizin1
Newborn
Newborn
Daamizin1

Male Join date : 2011-10-31

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 pm

My Nola does the same thing to my moms pomeranian chiuaua mix. She can put most of the pomchi's body in her mouth haha. She has been doing this since we got her about 1.5 years ago when she was 3 months old. She does it in a playful manner and has never once actually bit my moms dog, even when the pomchi bit her she still never did anything in return. It is something to keep your eye on but could just be his way of playing with the cat, just like its my Nolas way of playing with the pomchi.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi Amanda,

Our other member may have more suggestions based on their own experience - but I did want to point out that Huskies are generally pretty prey-driven. It's really not his fault - so even if you do find ways to help him get along with the cat, you may want to still supervise them when together and not blame Dante if something does happen.

I was just trying to help network two huskies on death row who were given up because they killed a cat, which really wasn't their fault. I'd hate to see that happen here.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Make the cats higher in the hierarchy. The cats walk out the door first, eat first, get attention first, ect. I'd also keep Dante on a leash in the house until he can be fully trusted. If he ever starts to show any kind of interest in them, make him change his interest through toys or make him do commands with food. If he does end up chasing a cat, correct the behavior, let him know that it is not accepted. I isolated Kale from the family for a while as a punishment. He caught on pretty quick that if he chases the cats he doesn't get to be with his pack for a while. There is hope! Very Happy it just takes patience and training...and the cats telling him off will help A LOT too... Tabitha (orange tabby) will swat and chase Kale when she's had enough, and Kale tucks tail and RUNS!

Tabitha stole kale's bed... he didn't seem to mind much lol
Cat chasing husky 33956_10

Cat chasing husky 20841011
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Be thankful you don't have cows nearby......
Back to top Go down
http://www.darklightimagery.net www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 5:31 pm

The1930sRust wrote:

and/or horses!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 12:12 am

Here4thePics wrote:
The1930sRust wrote:

and/or horses!
Or goats!!! Who knew the petting zoo would be in the middle of the city! Wink
Back to top Go down
desi
Puppy
Puppy
desi

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 11:44 am

I have three cats and Bob in one house - the cats were here way before him - and he cannot get used to the concept that they will not and do not want to play with him - or be one of his fluffy toys. It is a very rare occurence to see one of my cats walking inside on the floor if Bob is inside the house. His name tag makes a jingle on his neck chain so they can hear him at all times - the minute they hear him they fly onto their chairs in the kitchen! The cats know the back garden is Bobs turf and theirs is the front garden. He really just wants to play with them - but they are snobs and will have none of it!! If Bob steps out of line they scratch him on the nose - and he walks away with his tail between his legs. Laughing They have over the years all found a way to live with each other for which I am thankful as I would have hated to choose between anyone of them.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:25 pm

desi wrote:
It is a very rare occurence to see one of my cats walking inside on the floor if Bob is inside the house. His name tag makes a jingle on his neck chain so they can hear him at all times - the minute they hear him they fly onto their chairs in the kitchen!

I'm sorry, but this gave me a much needed laugh! My cats did that when Dakota was younger. He would try to play with them but wasn't persistent in it. Willow is very persistent and my younger cat screams bloody murder if Willow just looks at her. Quite annoying! They don't do this anymore but when Dakota was younger and asleep on the floor...my cats would slowly tip toe to get by him. It was serisouly the funnies thing to see. It was like they were saying "if I go realy slow, maybe he won't notice my presence" and ofcourse he always heard them so he would open his eyes and they would take off like a rocket! Silly cats.
Back to top Go down
desi
Puppy
Puppy
desi

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Sorry I dont know how to select part of the quote - but i can just imagine the cats tip toeing past the dogs - and yep the cats meeow in this deep voice if Bob so much as looks at them! It really is the funniest thing
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Our cats tiptoe around when Ghost is asleep too, it's so funny! Ours are actually starting to play a little bit. We watch them very carefully, but especially my cat Ninja will playfully bite and roll around with her. She will get to the point where she's a little too mouthy and he gets upset, and that's when we break it up. But ours have all relatively quickly learned how to live with each other Cool

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Cat chasing husky 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:50 pm

"Bacon tastes good! Pork chops taste good! Cats taste good!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.darklightimagery.net www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
Sponsored content

Cat chasing husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat chasing husky   Cat chasing husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Cat chasing husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1