It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to stop a husky from chasing the cat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BeBopBandit
Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

Male Join date : 2012-08-14

How to stop a husky from chasing the cat Empty
PostSubject: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm

I know that Bandit is still a young pup, but his continued chasing of our cat worries and angers me. He does not give 2 sh*ts about me saying NO or STOP; he sees her walking, sitting, whatever, and decides he's going to chase her out of the room. Not only is he chasing her, he's swatting at her with his paws. Bandit is over 30lbs now and the cat is barely 8lbs and has no front claws. He is not intimidated by her at all, and does not heed her warning hisses.

I don't know how to stop this and I'm worried about how he'll be when he's full grown. He corners her every chance he gets and it is so FRUSTRATING!!

Help! Advice, suggestions, anything!
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Honestly, huskies are not usually good with cats for the most part because of their strong prey drive. One of the huskies I rescued ate his previous owners cats...so although some huskies can live in peace, you will have others that aren't capable of doing so.

With him being young you may be able to train him to at least tolerate her though. I know most people with cats and huskies will be able to give you some pretty good advice on here. Just make sure the cat always has a safe place to go where Bandit can't reach her. Whether thats a baby gate in a room or maybe upstairs or something similar. That way if you can't stop him at least the cat can escape.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Have you tried time-outs? I know with mine, when they do something they are not supposed to I put them in time out (the crate) for a little bit.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 pm

I think you have to be really careful, especially since the cat is declawed and cannot defend itself. Make sure the cat always has an escape route, and do not leave them together unsupervised. Cats like high places, so high places to escape to are good too. Huskies have a strong prey drive and it would be awful if something happened to the cat.

Does Bandit know 'leave it' yet? That's a really useful command to have.

Also, you could try to train Bandit to ignore the cat. Use treats or toys to distract Bandit from the cat and/or as a reward for looking away from the cat. Like Metalmama says, you can use time-outs if he chases it. Since he's young, you have a good chance of training them to be okay together. But you will always have to be vigilant because the prey drive is very strong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Alright, while I normally promote only positive reinforcement with my pets, I do not think you should take cat chasing lightly. Cato did this and I grabbed his muzzle firmly and gave him a firm no. It was the only thing that worked/works for me. You should not be causing pain and you do not tap the nose, just grab the muzzle.

I might get some scrutiny, but its the only thing that worked for Cato.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

Female Join date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 pm

I agree with all of the above, we've used it all. Toccoa used to chase the cat at all times. Now, the cat can walk up to her and she'll sit while the cat sniffs her. We used all the methods everyone suggested....

The cat has a room with a gate away from the dog as well as a cat tree in the living room that is taller than the dogs. Always a place to escape to. We used "no" and grabbing the muzzle because it was impossible to get her attention while she was mid - chase. She got treats (although she really doesn't like them) for leaving the cat alone and lastly, once we thought she knew better than to chase, she received a timeout for not listening (5 minutes in her crate).

It took almost 6 months of solid training to stop it. It got much better immediately, but it's taken awhile to get to the point where it's not appealing to chase her. But it did work. As I said, they play together now. But to this day...they are NEVER left alone, just in case.

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Willow was pretty relentless at 8 weeks of age. The way I stopped her was to say no and then get in between her and the cat and just stare down at her. In the beginning, I had to constantly step in front of her because she would ignore me and try to go around me. I had to be very patient and consistent. Just stay calm and keep stepping in front if him. If you keep stepping in front of him, blocking his way, he will eventually give up and give you his attention. Once I get willows attention, I continue to stand there and calmly stare down at her until she relaxes and lays down. Then and only then would I walk away. I had to do this alot in the beginning but now I can just say no and she stops. The cat doesn't really run from her anymore. Some people would probably say I'm taking a chance but Willow no longer looks at her with that intense focus anymore so I trust them alone now. I would not trust her with a strange cat though. Your dog is still a puppy so it's better to fix this now. I have only had to train a puppy with cats, I've never tried this technique with and adult dog. I think it would be trickier with an adult since they are much quicker!
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 pm

We have the same issues at the moment with our new boy (about to be two pups in the same household) with our cat Bella. Bella has been an only pet for 7 years and acts like she's top dog, which I think needs to happen. The cat needs to be above the dog in the pecking order otherwise they will always have their life in jeorprady.

Here's the advice I was given before we brought Hunter home.

"The cat has to be boss, so that mean's the cat NEVER gets in trouble for swiping the pups nose or hissing (as these are it's only defence), the puppy should be held and let the cat come up to it.
Never let the pup chase the cat, not even once, anytime it tries, remove the pup. Always ensure the cat has an escape route and somewhere high up."

If Hunter chases her, we pick him up and say no firmly, don't just let the pup stay on the ground, I think you need to break his attention from the chase. I don't agree with the time out method personally, especially using the crate, as the crate is meant to be a safe haven and not a punishment.

Good luck with it!
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 am

I have done many of the above and they work well. All I have to tell Onyx is to leave the cat alone and he will just walk away. He tries to play with my oldest cat, but he knows she is the top of the chain, and I don't punish her for swiping at the dog. Instead I warn him that he his going to get hurt, then tell him to leave the cat alone. Just stay consistent with him and he will eventually catch on.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am

Thane did and does the same the biggest thing we worked on is how he plays and interacts with the cat if he catches him and not the chase part. We worked on "leave it" so that he will not touch the cat, being gentle when they play and if the cat makes any noise we taught him to disengage immediately. We stayed consistent with those things and to this day the cat has not been hurt and Thane really won't chase the cat unless the cat shows he wants to play. They are best buddies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BeBopBandit
Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

Male Join date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Awesome, thanks for the advice everybody! I will try the time-outs and treats. I do step in between, but like another poster mentioned, he just runs around me. The cat does have a place to escape to that is blocked off by a baby gate and I do NOT leave them alone together in the same room. I have swatted his muzzle before for doing repeatedly in the span of only a few minutes, but with Bandit it means nothing; he thinks I'm playing with him. I'm trying to stop the stare-downs too because I know that once his gaze is locked on her, he's going to run at her.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 1:04 pm

AS Megan said you will probably have to use negative reinforcement if you like it or not. A little reminder who is the boss is better than a dead cat.
Normally if a Husky grows up with cats there should be no problems, but if he is already chasing her that harsdh now, this might get dangerous when he is older.
Anubis got his ass beat up by Felix many times now he knows tht chasing him isn´t the best idea Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 2:52 pm

i will tell you the most valuble command we have taught Dakota is "leave it" so many excellent applications. From leaving somthing yucky on the ground to not pouncing on my 5 yr old daughter when she comes skipping into the room to interupting his gaze when he spots something small and furry on our walks and get's that intense alert pause.... without leave it i would promptly be dragged across the lawn lol.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to stop a husky from chasing the cat   How to stop a husky from chasing the cat Empty

Back to top Go down

How to stop a husky from chasing the cat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1