It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

THUNDERSHIRT????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Ok, not sure if this is the place for this or not, but has anyone tried or know someone who has tried the Thundershirt? Our old-timer, Linus, is still terrified of thunderstorms. He has a daily medication (Quamicalm sp?) and then on days we know we're gonna have storms, we give him Xanax.
I know, most here do not believe in medicating if it can be helped, but really, it became an issue of his safety (and our sanity due to destruction). All meds are the lowest possible doses. If it weren't for Sadie, our neighbor, I have no idea what would have happened, as she comes & takes him to her house when we are at work and can't get home during a storm.
Anyway, the vet recommended we try the Thundershirt. I have heard many good things about it, but can find no one who's actually used it or had experience with it.
Any info would be so helpful, whether good or bad. I hate to think of him medicated for the rest of his life. He's around 9-10 now.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:34 pm

We just had an article in the local newspaper about the Thundershirt the other day. Hope this helps in your decision to get one or not.

http://www.buffalonews.com/life/article516780.ece

Last edited by Here4thePics on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Thanks! I think I've pretty much decided to go for it.....was just hoping to talk to someone who has actually seen its "power to calm"!
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Please let us know how it works! My sister was looking into this for her dog. Her dog gets so scared that even a homeopathic vet recommended medication for her. One night it was drizzling with thunder in the distance so she took the dogs out to go potty before it got heavy. Her dog actually pretended to pee so that she could run back in the house, lol.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Yes, please let us know about how it works!
Storm gets anxious when he hears it storming outside! (Isn't that ironic that his name is Storm?!) He's not that bad at all, but then the thunder wasn't too loud. I thought about getting this to see how it worked for him, but by the time I found his size, we were past the stormy weather!

Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 am

My mom was transporting a blind golden for rescue and he had one. She said he wasn't as anxious with it on, but then again she only had him over night.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:26 am

I don't have any experience with it as I don't have any need for it with my dogs but I have heard nothing but good things about Thundershirt, never heard a single negative comment about it. I know it's not much help to you but figured it was worth mentioning.

If you get one, please write up a review of how well it does (or doesn't) work. If I had a dog that was very fearful of thunderstorms I would have tried the Thundershirt long ago. Fortunately all my dogs are calm during storms.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:47 am

The thundershirt puts Seamus into sleepy mode. I call it his off button Smile He's not terrified of storms though, it just goes on when he's in a wild mood.

Quite truthfully if the thunder phobia is that severe (our Malinois had it) you would probably still need to medicate- perhaps not the whole dose though.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for the info. Going on line this weekend to get it on order. The things we do for our babies!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Wow. Interesting! I think the theory behind it is sound for sure. I'm sure as with most things, each dog is different, but I would certainly try it if I had a dog fearful of storms! Smile

THUNDERSHIRT???? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:33 pm

So I was at the local Farmer's Market yesterday & there is a woman with a booth who sells pet items. I asked her about the Thundershirt & what do you know? She happened to have some. Bad news, she only had Larges. She said she didn't realize her latest shipment only contained that size. I need a Medium for the Linocerous. So, she gave me her card & told me to stop in next Saturday & she'd be sure to have one for me. It will save shipping costs if I buy from her, so that's a bonus, Of course, we had a couple of bad storms roll through last night, so would have been a PERFECT opportunity to try it out. Oh, well......
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 6:48 pm

My mom just got a thundershirt for Bruiser. The thunderstorms here have been horrible and reality hit my mom when we were initially threatened by Irene. She realized that if we were to get hit by a hurricane, Bruiser may actually have a heart attack.

She just put the thundershirt on him and he has been standing in the same spot for more than 5 minutes now, not moving at all. He is scared of the damn thundershirt!! It is really sad, but funny at the same time. We'll see how it works during a storm.

Good thing she went to the vet and got some Xanies for back up.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Aw no, Bruiser!
(I do have to admit that did make me giggle but still, poor Bruiser!)

Adult
Adult
amykmac

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 am

FINALLY got Linus his Thundershirt. (Actually about 2 months ago, first chance to discuss it).
For a dog that's been terrified of storms as long as I've known him (about 9-10 years) it does a good job for him. He is still anxious, but the pacing & panting has stopped. So has the shaking & shivering. I like the fact that we can leave it on him when we're gone. Make no mistake, we still give him the daily anti-anxiety, but the Xanax are now pretty much over. I am hearing more & more of success stories with it, and think the $36 was worth it. Our vet started carrying it, so were able to save the shipping costs.
I would say that putting it on correctly is important, as Hubby found out last night. Tommy couldn't figure out why it wasn't working as well for Linus after he'd put it on him....well....let's just say Tommy needs practice!
It is like a lycra material, stretchy, but tight around him. All in all, I am impressed. I wish there'd been one of these available when Lino was still a pup...I think his anxiety would never have reached the severe state it had. BONUS:being non-husky, it's a dapper little jacket for cool mornings & evening runs! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your input on it, Amy. I think I might need to seriously suggest this to my mother in law for her dog.

Newborn
Newborn
Canine Connection

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:34 am

The original pressure wrap for dogs - and cats - was developed by certified
professional dog trainer, Susan Sharpe, and this product differs from the
Thundershirt in several important ways. The fabric, a stretchy lightweight,
breathable and non-restrictive material is something that Susan came up with
after experimenting with 90 different prototypes and it applies what is known
as "maintained pressure." The patented Anxiety Wrap provides more
maintained pressure than any similar product on the market today and also has
elastic and adjustable elements which specifically target acupressure points in
the neck, shoulder and chest area, belly, mid-section and hind legs. In a
recent clinical research study conducted by veterinarian, Dr. Nicholas Dodman
at the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine the Anxiety Wrap was
found to be 89% effective in study participants! In my practice as a
professional dog trainer I have found the Anxiety Wrap to be consistently
effective and recommend the original Anxiety Wrap to my clients with fearful or
anxious dogs as part of a behavior modification program.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dubuquedogtraining.com
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 am

I found the key with my BC that was terrified of storms, fireworks, etc. was to get it on her in advance. When I was able to put it on before she became anxious (at least 30 minutes prior to the event) it made a dramatic difference. You also need to put it on really snug. She would sometimes sleep through the storms with it on. It really was the only thing short of complete sedation that worked.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 am

Canine Connection wrote:
The original pressure wrap for dogs - and cats - was developed by certified
professional dog trainer, Susan Sharpe, and this product differs from the
Thundershirt in several important ways. The fabric, a stretchy lightweight,
breathable and non-restrictive material is something that Susan came up with
after experimenting with 90 different prototypes and it applies what is known
as "maintained pressure." The patented Anxiety Wrap provides more
maintained pressure than any similar product on the market today and also has
elastic and adjustable elements which specifically target acupressure points in
the neck, shoulder and chest area, belly, mid-section and hind legs. In a
recent clinical research study conducted by veterinarian, Dr. Nicholas Dodman
at the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine the Anxiety Wrap was
found to be 89% effective in study participants! In my practice as a
professional dog trainer I have found the Anxiety Wrap to be consistently
effective and recommend the original Anxiety Wrap to my clients with fearful or
anxious dogs as part of a behavior modification program.

Pics or it didn't happen!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:52 pm

It works for us - too. Like many said, you want to get it on them before they get anxious. We put it on last night too late before we crated them for an hour and Frosti was still anxious. When we put it on about 1/2 hr before leave and just hang out - it totally zones her out and she relaxes.
Back to top Go down
Canine Connection
Newborn
Newborn
Canine Connection

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Harrise - I don't understand your post. Are you asking for pictures, more information? You can read more about the Anxiety Wrap here: https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx.

I will try to upload a photo of my own dog with the Anxiety Wrap on, but you have my word on it as a professional trainer that it works. I would never endorse a product I do not believe in.

Sincerely,
Cindy Ludwig, M.A., KPA-CTP
Owner/manager/trainer, http://www.dubuquedogtraining.com/
Dubuque, Iowa

https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/24/42/31/anxiet15.jpg

Last edited by Canine Connection on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Yuck yuck. It just looked really weird to post that as a first post. It wasn't spam but sure read like those Chinese sites selling shoes and jerseys for 80% off.

My dogs don't have issues requiring these type of products.
Back to top Go down
Canine Connection
Newborn
Newborn
Canine Connection

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 pm

I just tried to upload additional photos but cannot seem to repeat the process.

Last edited by ...YouKnowWho on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Removed link. -Chad)
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Welcome, Canine Connection - please start a thread on the welcome forum so everyone sees your beautiful picture! Smile Who is that little buddy and what breed?
Back to top Go down
Canine Connection
Newborn
Newborn
Canine Connection

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi - thank you. Having difficulty with uploading photos. The photo I was able to upload is Ginger, my collie mix. I also have a Golden Retriever, Opal and a cat named Nadia.

Chili and Frosti are cute names for your huskies!
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Canine Connection wrote:
I just tried to upload additional photos but cannot seem to repeat the process - you can find additional information and photos of me on my website

Your link didn't work, but that's probably for the better since we don't allow any kind of personal promotions or advertising unless one is a vendor. If that's something that you're interested in please feel free to shoot a PM to one of our moderators or administrators.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy yourself and chime in and share some of your experiences!

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: THUNDERSHIRT????   THUNDERSHIRT???? Empty

Back to top Go down

THUNDERSHIRT????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next