It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Homemade dog food supplements

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Homemade dog food supplements  Empty
PostSubject: Homemade dog food supplements    Homemade dog food supplements  EmptyThu Oct 13, 2022 12:42 am

So i plugged what i create for splinter into dog food calc and its short calcium and zinc (also d and e but his vitamin has that) so any good supplements for that or something else i can add

Then to piggyback on that shadow has 5 broken teeth so until his dental im going to give him the same thing as splinter and it saying i should feed him 2lbs a day. He was 99.9lbs at the vet today.

***warning minor rant about old vet below***

Had alot of surprises along with broke teeth at todays 3 hour visit. No hip dysplasia but arthritis and a deformed ligament in his knee. He looks like he is beginning to get glaucoma, but for a blind dog to lose his eyes wont really matter. Second dog misdiagnosed. Dcm that was mitral valve defect and not dcm and hip dysplasia that turned out to be almost perfect hips for a 9 yr old gsd other then some age related arthritis but an undiagnosed ligament issue. They ran a ton of labs they had to send out so i wont have them for a few days. For a dog i underfeed (intentional) that has barely eaten for 3 weeks to have gained back the 12 lbs he lost last year is just not something you chalk up to old age. Old vet blew it off. New vet thinks hypothyroidism or maybe diabetes. Gabapentin for now and depending on labs maybe anti-inflammatory or something.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Homemade dog food supplements    Homemade dog food supplements  EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 9:59 pm

Doesn't look like you're going to get much help on the drug issue - definitely not from me.

Diabetes, does type 2 diabetes appear in dogs?  It seems like it might since it's common in mammals (or so the NIH infers) but with so many other things wrong (from the old vet) I think I'd wait and see what the new one finds.  (( Bet it's gonna cost money! ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Homemade dog food supplements    Homemade dog food supplements  EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 3:10 pm

Some online sites say they can't get Type 2 but I would argue that they can based on having seen some dogs diagnosed with it and it definitely behaved different than type 1 dogs. More often they will get type 1 which is what Kenzi has and they will be nearly impossible to put weight on. A thyroid issue doesn't sound out of the question.

I give zinpro for zink supplement and for calcium I was adding the animal essentials seadent calcium supplement to my raw food.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Homemade dog food supplements    Homemade dog food supplements  EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:53 am

So labs were normal and for the moment we are going along with weight being related to pain and not moving as much. Cut food back again because he was 103lbs this am and started pain meds a few days ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade dog food supplements    Homemade dog food supplements  Empty

Back to top Go down

Homemade dog food supplements

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1