It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Homemade Dog Food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RickyT
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-06-15

Homemade Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Dog Food   Homemade Dog Food EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 8:57 pm

I am thinking about moving Tundra to a home made dog food diet instead of the dry kibble and canned food he gets now. Does anyone have any successful easy and affordable recipes to share
Back to top Go down
Donna5503
Newborn
Newborn
Donna5503

Female Join date : 2012-08-20

Homemade Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Dog Food   Homemade Dog Food EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi....I've read that it is very hard to get the right nutrients in just feeding homemade. There are lots of websites - but they sound pretty complicated.

I feed Chubby dry kibble & homemade. I feed a Grain-Free Kibble & usually add chicken or beef - sweet potatoes & green veggies. I don't feed canned at all. Chubby's been doing fine this way.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Homemade Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Dog Food   Homemade Dog Food EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 pm

A lot of us feed raw. Is that something you would interested in?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Homemade Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Dog Food   Homemade Dog Food EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 10:08 am

I helped my mother in law come up with a homecooked diet for her dogs as they've got health issues to consider. I don't follow exact recipes as I recommend mixing things up regularly so that they are exposed to a wide variety to ensure they get all they need, plus I strongly recommend the use of a general supplement as an added safety precaution. One thing you MUST remember on a homecooked diet is to add calcium to it. With manufactured foods calcium is already added in so you don't have to think about it. With a raw diet your dog would get it's calcium needs met through the bone they ingest, however homecooked diets you cannot feed cooked bone. So for a homecooked diet you will need to either give them a calcium supplement (vitamin or powder doesn't matter) and/or include plenty of eggshell in the diet (whether fed whole egg, crushed, or pulverized with a mortar and pestle). Some people seem to think additional calcium is an optional supplement on a homecooked diet, it is not, it is a requirement...please remember that for the health of your pet if you opt to do homecooking.

With my mother in law, I took into consideration her dogs' health conditions and formulated 3 lists. A list of meats (chicken, beef, turkey, pork, etc), a list of seeds and grains (barley, rice, quinoa, flaxseed, etc), and a list of veggies and fruits (sweet potato, green beans, carrots, cranberry, etc).

So she had a nice, neat sheet of paper with 3 columns and the above mentioned categories listed out in each column. Then I took each of her dogs' individual weights, activity, level, and health into consideration to come up with how much (in weight) from each column should be in their daily rations (just as an example, 5 oz meat, 1.5 oz grain/seed, 1.5 oz veggie/fruit...I totally just pulled those numbers out of the air for demonstration purposes, do not use them as a guide!) and using that she would pick a meat (or meats) out of the meat column, then pick a grain and/or seed, then pick a veggie and/or fruit and prepare their meal as necessary plus add in their calcium supplement.

If you opt for a non-dog specific calcium supplement, speak with your vet to determine what calcium supplement and how much will be best for your dog. As a side, RMB's can add calcium to a homecooked diet should you so choose to use them, not to mention the teeth cleaning benefits they provide as well.

I applaud your efforts to find out more about homecooked diets, I am very much a fan assuming it is done correctly to ensure your dog is not lacking nutrients. Homecooked diets, like PMR diets, achieve balance over time and exposure to variety is important. I consider a properly done homecooked diet to be better than any kibble or canned diet on the market. Not quite as good as raw, but certainly a healthy alternative as I know raw just isn't feasible for everyone for a number of reasons. Please do continue to do some more research and feel free to ask away with any questions you might have.

Newborn
Newborn

Homemade Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Dog Food   Homemade Dog Food EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi -I'm a real advocate of homemade and just wanted to say that everything you need to know about feeding a homemade diet can be found in Dr. Pitcairn's book - Natural Health For Dogs and Cats including recipes and detailed information about calcium (all calcium supplements are not created equal especially with respect to the ratio of calcium to phosphorus).

Hope this helps. You can check the book out online.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homemade Dog Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Dog Food   Homemade Dog Food Empty

Back to top Go down

Homemade Dog Food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1