It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bikejoring, help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
browny11
Newborn
Newborn
browny11

Male Join date : 2017-01-01

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 12:02 am

Does anyone have any advice on bikejoring with a husky who hasn't done it before? Equipment, training tips, etc... Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 12:44 am

Watching this thread with interest!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 2:49 pm

Before even getting a dog pulling a bike, work on commands on walks. Gee, Haw, Whoa, On-by, etc. Then introduce the dog to the bike to make sure they are okay with the noise and the presence of the bike itself.

I started out biking with Mishka attached with the Walky Dog on a harness on the side of the bike. We went around the block first, then added distance.

You really want to do actual bikejoring on a trail and not on any streets. The dog is far enough out in front of the bike that it can be dangerous.

Equipment you need for bikejoring is a gangline and an x-back harness. Alpine Outfitters has some starter packages available to purchase or you can purchase things separately. http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=35

It's going to be a little rough at first but typically they know what to do. It may not be smooth sailing from the get go but with training and practice it gets better over time.

This was our first bikejoring experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0xn7RTQ0-8

jmscott
Puppy
Puppy
jmscott

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 10:49 pm

First off schedule a vet visit! You want to get in a general wellness check up and let your vet know your plans. You might look to see if there are any local breed clubs with contacts for people who can help you get started!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Sorry i don't have back ground on your pup, is it over a year old? as Ashleigh said it all starts off the bike and training while walking.

I got our stuff from http://www.adanacsleds.com/bikejoring/

I think Jack could still run with the bike but i do not have any nice dirt trails near by so we have not been out in some time. It is fun to do though.
if you look in the videos section i think i have some posted there a few yrs ago.

Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Joring is one of the things I'm very much looking forward to. I can't speak from experience as we haven't started yet, but I have done a TON of research. I suggest doing a lot of research also. Watch videos, read about the commands, follow the forums, look at the products, research why to use those products.

First, commands. This can start as a puppy, or when you start harness work.
Find a list of the command commands, and start using them on walks. Start with the basic commands. Left, right, go, stop, on-by. Decide if you want to use English, or the more standard 'mushing' language. There are some more advanced commands, but stick to the basic stuff to start. I plan to start slow, on walks, give the command before you turn in that direction. Hoping that eventually upon hearing the command, he'll know which way to turn. If you don't mind looking like an idiot in public, going to a pet store with isles is a good way to get lots of quick turns in as opposed to walking city blocks. Setting up flags and an obstacle course in your yard works too.

2nd, be considerate about the age of your dog. Command training can start at any time. Huskies are true puppies till 1 year of age. They still have growing and development to do for up to another year though. I wouldn't do any pull training until they have reached at least a year. I wouldn't do any actual bike/scooter joring until 2 years for a solo dog. (or at the very least until all growth plates have been resolved) Always consult a vet for an in depth check up to make sure the dog is able to do the activity. Injuries, muscle issues, dysplasia are all great reasons NOT to have a dog pull.

3rd, find a good harness. Shop around a bit, do your research. You want something that will be comfortable for your dog and will work well for pulling. I plan to use this harness ONLY for pulling. That way he will know when he sees that harness, it's time for fun.

4th start actual pull training with lighter objects, and make it fun. A sled with some snow in it, a spare tire, some bricks on a board. Something that will provide some tension, but will not be the weight of a human being. Something that can be pulled, but won't keep rolling and run the dog over if he stops. Make it fun. Have them pull it back and forth between two people while getting rewards for it. This allows the dog to develop his muscles and ability to pull. This can likely start at about a year, but take it easy to start with especially if the dog is still growing. As they get better with this, incorporate the movement commands.

5th, get the right equipment. I plan to start with some scooter joring, and I have a scooter all picked out. I plan to eventually move to bike joring also, but I need a different lighter bike. My current bike feels like the frame is made of lead...great bike, but heavy. Large frame, large wheels, springs and shocks...all bad for joring with 1 dog. Scooters are easier to start with than bikes as it's easier to bail if the dog does something unexpected. Make sure you use a bungie leash, and make sure you either have a retractable unit or some kind of lead stick to make sure the leash doesn't get into your front wheels. There is a great retractable bungie system I've seen that I plan to use. Not like those weak little retractable leash things, it's actually designed for bike/scooter joring.

6th, if possible, start with a partner. My plan is to have my wife or daughter lead with a bike. I'll call commands and the leader will follow the instruction and the dog will gladly chase them. Hopefully this will cement it all together for the dog.

7th, be considerate of the dog. Grass or soft dirt is the best. Concrete and asphalt can be very painful. Walking a dog on a surface is completely different than the dog pulling someone on that surface. Mushing wax is probably a good idea. Always pay attention to the dog. Joring is not something where you can enjoy the scenery. If he stops short to have a potty break and you are enjoying the color of the leaves...well, he won't like you trying to run him over.

8th, bring water, take breaks. Make sure they get a lot of water before they start. Make sure they've had an hour after eating before joring. Take some breaks to rehydrate.

9th, help out you lazy bum! Push with the scooter, peddle with the bike. Don't make your dog do all the work, especially if there is a hill. Your dog wants to run, and run fast. Don't slow him down by making him do all the work. Plus, your spare tire needs the exercise more than the dog does (that's more of a personal note for me, not any of you).

I honestly wouldn't rush anything, even with a dog over 2 years of age. Start slow and work on muscle development and command training for a good long while. This isn't the kind of activity where you want to dive in head first as that could be really bad for both you and more importantly the dog. It'll be a lot of work, but I honestly believe it will be worth the effort.

My pup is only 7 months old right now. Starting this spring I'm going to really start focusing on the commands (my wife does this a little now, she has a leash belt system that is used in jogging joring). Then this summer when he hits a year old, I'm going to get him outfitted with a good harness and spend the summer/fall working on some pull training. Next winter I may have him pull my youngest around on a sled a bit. It won't be till the following spring before I start doing any actual joring with him.
I'll likely post about the adventures, the progress, mistakes made, and numerous hospital trips I'll likely make.
Back to top Go down
browny11
Newborn
Newborn
browny11

Male Join date : 2017-01-01

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 am

What scooter would you recommend? I was going to use a bike but if I could find a scooter for an adult that would be great. I don't feel like my dog pulling me on one of those razor scooters haha.
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 1:18 pm

LOL @ razor scooter. Nah, they make real adult scooters made for actual off road trails and stuff. It's kind of a niche market, but it's out there. Some companies even make scooters specifically for scooter joring.
There is a wide range of scooters. Cheapo $100 that I wouldn't want to use all the way up to crazy $700 ones. Big tires and disk brakes would be my biggest recommendations. Big tires help you with terrain, and the disk brakes are better than your standard pad brakes as they give you better stopping power and control. Keep in mind that you have to stop your momentum and possibly the dogs too if he isn't listening. Also, you want dual or rear brakes, not front brakes only...that could be bad lol.

Pawtrekker has some scooters designed for joring. These tend to be on the pricier side of things, but they seem to be good quality (shocks, dual disk brakes, the nose thing). The big nose thing over the front tire helps avoid entanglements. You can also see the side style unit that some people use (I don't plan to). Those are probably safer for you and the dog, but I think they suck a little fun out of it, and also make you a much larger obstacle which could be a problem for some trails. Might be good for wide bike paths, but not for the kind of stuff I want to do.
Kickbike has a lot of options and look pretty solid.
Diggler has some options and is pretty common.
Kostka has some joring specific options.
Toucan has a couple options. This is where I'm going to start. $250 scooter with dual disk brakes and front suspension. It has 20" tires. I've read some less than stellar reviews about it (when comparing to options 2 to 3 times more expensive), but for what I plan to do, it sounds functional and seems like a good place to start.

If you are around 6' tall or taller, you might want more than a 20" front tire. A 26/20 might be a better scooter for you.

The Toucan is less than stellar, and might be on the small side for me, but it's a reasonable price and gives me a chance to get into the activity a little. If I get into it more, I can get something more expensive and let my daughter/wife use the starter.

The Tug and Tow is the retractable leash unit I was talking about. You can get normal bungie leashes, and then buy or make a bikejoring arm to keep the leash out of your tire.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Lots of good advice here...just one little caution: I occasionally use a WalkyDog thingie. The very first time I tried it, I harnessed up my boy, attached him to my bike,put on my helmet and then realized my gloves were on the window sill. So I walked over to get them. And puppy followed. As did bike. Bike crashed, dog freaked and I was surprised at how stupid I can be at times. To this day, puppy is really not thrilled with the bike though he does it.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Kickbike seems to be available only from WoofShack out of Britain. At £575.00 (US$714 on 1/5/17) that might be considered a bit pricey. Delivery is €17.95 (they said in chat - I find that very low) or US$19. Delivery time is said to be 3-4 weeks.

Diggler on the opther hand appears to be a US company. While there seem to be a lot of links for them, finding any factual information seemed to be a hit-or-miss proposition so I chose AlpineOutfittters. The Diggler Alpha Disk sells for US$624.95 with other models costing less. Thinking about my roads - not a good match, small wheels on all models would make a very rough ride.

As Kmanweiss notes, these are scooter which are 'transformed' with options into dog joring scooters and I can see a lot of expense in that conversion.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Yay, so glad to see good info up... we've been shopping around for a bike to try with the dogs in the spring.... I'll be bookmarking this thread for sure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bikejoring, help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring, help!   Bikejoring, help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Bikejoring, help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1