It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bikejoring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 pm

I am working on getting started with bikejoring this fall as it cools down and sent alpine outfitters an email with some questions and they got back to me ASAP! i should be ordering this week. (Eddy, im going to need Sierra harness fixed Smile )
http://alpineoutfitters.net/Secure/Scripts/default.asp

here is the email i sent
Hello,
I have been looking over your site and i would like to start bikejoring with our 2 huskies. we have bikes and the dogs have X back harness so i think we just need the line. i was looking at the double scooter line (sku Gl012) and see that it can work for 1-2dogs and has the neck line included. it says it comes also with the connector that fits most scooters, will that also fit most mountain bikes? do i need anything else to get started on this new adventure? i was also wondering what keeps the line from getting caught in the front tire when getting started or if they start to slow down, do you hold on to it or have them pull out till it is tight and then start?
thanks so much for your time,
Jenn

the super fast reply!
Yes, the scooter post connector would fit on most mountain bikes. It's a strap that you wrap around your bike's handlebar post.

The best way to not getting the line caught in your front tire is to make sure that the line is ALWAYS tight. You do this in two ways: 1) by teaching your dogs to always "LINE OUT" as soon as you connect the line to their harness and 2) by always watching them and using your brakes to slow down your bike as needed if you start going faster than the dogs.

When you start out, you should have your dogs already leaning into their harnesses, ergo, keeping the line tight. They shouldn't be moving yet but just doing a "line out". When you are ready to go, just say "Are you ready? Okay - GO!". Teach them them the "line out" command by attaching them to a stationary object, such as a tree or a post and have them "line out". You want them to be always keeping that line tight, as long as you have their harnesses attached to the line. Even when you are resting in the middle of a run, IF you have them attached to the harness, have them line out (even if they are resting down on the ground, that's okay but do have them keep that line tight).

Regardless, there will be times when they will slow down and/or you start going faster than they are running (e.g., going downhill). Do not attempt to grab the line, specially since they are running in front of you, and on a bike, it would be hard to lean over to grab the line. That's when you use your brakes, to slow down to make sure that the line stays tight. NOTE: If your dogs are running at such a slow pace such that you are unable to slow down your bike without being able to stay upright, then your dogs are too tired and need to rest.

The only other gear I would recommend, if your dogs don't have it already, is a collar that will not slip off their heads. For one, make sure NOT to use a choke collar as it could choke them once they are necklined. A lot of mushers use either our full circle or limited slip collars --- they have not buckles on them (which are critical point of failure) and are fully adjustable. I use the limited slip collars with O-rings on my huskies --- I can adjust this so that it slips over their head yet it functions almost like a choke collar whereby when they pull on it, it tightens to the point where they cannot slip it over their head but will stop short of choking them. The big O-ring also serves as a great place to hook my finger onto, even with gloves on, when I need to move them around without using a leash.

I also use a "musher's belt", which allows me to attach dogs to myself while moving them around and still keep my hands free:

http://alpineoutfitters.net/Secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=111

Hope this helps and hope it makes sense!

Regards,

Rancy
Alpine Outfitters

I will keep you all updated on how this goes Smile i also might get the musher belt for snowshoeing to have both hands free.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Well yesterday our package showed up!!!!!
Bikejoring PA060492

and we got the 2 limited slip collars with reflective fabric as well as the phone number on them! its hard to see in the pic but Jack got Blue and Sierra got Purple.
Bikejoring PA060493
Bikejoring PA060494

here is the bike attachment. it has the section in the middle of the pic that goes around the front of your handle bars and then the long rope section with a elastic middle section and then Y's off to the 2 dog hook up, that attaches to the X back harness. the short rope on the right is to connect them together at the neck and that hooks on to the limited slip collars.
Bikejoring PA060495

Sierras harness is being fixed so i took Jack out for a test run last night.
He did ok but except for going Left as you will see/hear in the video! i think he was to concerned to get back on the side walk, i could not keep him in the street. i also had a hard time keeping the line tight as he kept slowing down. it was really hard to get him going as he was wondering where Sierra was but then he picked up the speed.

this is going to be a fun adventure with them Smile

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:26 pm

I love that site Smile It's better on an open path without lots of distractions. We went on a camp road and Koda just followed the road. Smile

Bikejoring Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 am

My Loki is 8 months old would he be too young to start training him to do this?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 12:53 am

I would wait another couple months to start with Loki. It's better to wait until they're closer to a year before really running them on pavement. We started with Ghost around 10 months Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Bikejoring 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 1:06 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
I would wait another couple months to start with Loki. It's better to wait until they're closer to a year before really running them on pavement. We started with Ghost around 10 months Smile

Thank you for the info. Do you know any activities during the winter time since I don't think he would be able to pull me on a sled (I am about 250 lbs).
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 5:52 am

Try and locate someone that sleds Huskies maybe they would be willing to hook Loki up. Is Piper in your area?
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 am

I don't know who Piper is.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 8:33 am

Piper is another one of our Michigan members who does a lot of racing. You might want to send her a PM and pick her brain about sledding Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Bikejoring 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 am

Ok thanks all for the information.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 am

Keep us updated Jenn! I want to start this as well but have been going back and forth between a towline setup and going with the Springer bike attachment.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 am

Did I here my name? lol

Yes, Gunnersmate, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Brian,
i love the lines, never tried the springer attachment but that just seems wrong for a husky that should be pulling....
i forgot about this thread and had posted that video in July with us jorring in the mountains,
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t5395-bike-jorring-with-jack
S&J cant go for very long, so driving there for dirt roads would suck, i need to find some closer dirt roads once it cools off to get in a month or so before the snow hits and we can go skijorring. Maybe erica and maggie will go with us?

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Lol, Jenn, my sibe can pull me along on my bike with the Springer bike attachment! Wink

I debated whether to bikejore with my sibe or get a Springer attachment. I felt more comfortable with the Springer as I have more control but didn't know how well my sibe could pull the bike along with the Springer. He pulls it so smoothly and easily that he still gets the joy and "work" of pulling in harness while I retain much more control by having him running and pulling alongside me rather than in front of.

What sealed the deal was messaging with and watching GoneToTheSnowDogs' videos posted in the Springer thread. You can watch her dogs pull her on her bike with the Springer setup.

Didn't mean to get off topic, I would love to do bikejoring with my dog but I don't have enough confidence in my sibe. The Springer is a great alternative for me so that I retain more control while my sibe still gets to run AND pull me along.

Brian, if you're wanting to take out more than 2 at a time the tow line will probably be your best bet. I know with the Springer you could take two at a time with that. I did not use the included rope or safety release tabs for my Springer but rather made my own line using bungee cord to attach my sibe to the Springer for a custom longer length, added flexibility/shock absorption and security.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Lol, Jenn, my sibe can pull me along on my bike with the Springer bike attachment! Wink

I debated whether to bikejore with my sibe or get a Springer attachment. I felt more comfortable with the Springer as I have more control but didn't know how well my sibe could pull the bike along with the Springer. He pulls it so smoothly and easily that he still gets the joy and "work" of pulling in harness while I retain much more control by having him running and pulling alongside me rather than in front of.

What sealed the deal was messaging with and watching GoneToTheSnowDogs' videos posted in the Springer thread. You can watch her dogs pull her on her bike with the Springer setup.

Didn't mean to get off topic, I would love to do bikejoring with my dog but I don't have enough confidence in my sibe. The Springer is a great alternative for me so that I retain more control while my sibe still gets to run AND pull me along.

Thanks for the input Val! I too have watched the GTTSD videos and seem to be leaning to the Springer just because of limited access to dirt roads and other low traffic areas. Seems like the Springer could be used on a sidewalk. Still have to get a new used bike.

Also sorry for the hijack!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm not sure if you saw but I edited my post while you were posting. And yes, the Springer can be used on sidewalks and off road. I do both with my sibe although as much as I try to get him to run on grass so that it's softer on his joints he still prefers to run on pavement...I presume because it's easier for him and he's being lazy.

I really like the control that I have with a Springer and am beyond happy with it. Even on our narrow neighborhood sidewalks my bike and sibe fit on the pavement with a little room to spare.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 2:51 pm

I think any more than 2 at a time would be a death wish. affraid
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 3:45 pm

You can run two at a time with the springer, Val? If so, I need one!!! Asia can start biking soon (baby girl is going to be a year in Oct!) and I still haven't figured out how to bike with the three. Hubby would take one, but I need to take two! scratch I thought about about attaching two to the walky dog, but I don't know about that!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 pm

I saw this:

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Have you seen the video GTTSD's posted of her biking with both her huskies attached to a single Springer attachment? I've seen a number of people bike that way also but if you attach 2 dogs to a single Springer you will likely need to customize it a bit with longer lines to accommodate 2 dogs on the one side.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 4:10 pm

I've seen her video but was thinking one on each side was safer but kind of rules out the sidewalk.

Last edited by Lordbroll on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Have you seen the video GTTSD's posted of her biking with both her huskies attached to a single Springer attachment? I've seen a number of people bike that way also but if you attach 2 dogs to a single Springer you will likely need to customize it a bit with longer lines to accommodate 2 dogs on the one side.

I'm looking it up right now!

I'd need an extra long line since Asia is a shorty Razz
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm

I've biked both ours at the same time, but not really bikjoring. I have a walkie which I love. Tika isnt wild about it, but Ripley is a total natural. So I attached Rip to the walkie and had Tika's leash at the handle bars.
We went very slow. it was a while before we sort of figured out the rythym, but it was a real balancing act, I had my helmet on and probably a terrified expression on my face.
I am a little too afraid to really bikejore with them, I think I could handle 1, but even on rollerblades I get very scared with both. Chris can do it no problem, but I really get nervous when they pick up speed, not to mention go separate ways or see any little critters.
Still, we were thinking of picking up some second hand cross country skis and skijoring this winter with them, we want to see first how Rip is in the snow. She might be a bit of a diva since she hates walking in the wet grass, and loves to sunbathe....lol

~Kelly

Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Can anyone post pictures on how they have their line connected to their bike. Just got my package from alpine outfitters. Along with the bikejoring package I got the scooter noodle to help keeping the line getting tangled in the front tire.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm

is it this?
http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=54

should go on your bar under the handle bars, just like it is on the scooter. i can't get you a pic till tomorrow. that noodle looks like a good thing to have, might need that.....
let us know how it goes, i love it and now that its cooling off we can take S&J out more.

Bikejoring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring Empty

Back to top Go down

Bikejoring

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next